• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

Not surprised to see the reff blaming the black athlete for industries run by white men. Definitely, the black guys fault.

Not surprised to see the reff blaming the black athlete for industries run by white men. Definitely, the black guys fault.

It is his fault because 1 - he should just shut up and play and 2 - how dare a young black man make life changing money

Nike owner Phil Knight is literally over 100 times more wealthy than Lebron. But The Reff thinks Lebron is the one exploiting children.

So they are both exploiting children. Just because one person makes more than another doesn't mean that they are not both exploiting someone or, in the case of China, indirectly supporting human rights abuses with their silence.

So they are both exploiting children. Just because one person makes more than another doesn't mean that they are not both exploiting someone or, in the case of China, indirectly supporting human rights abuses with their silence.

He types from his MacBook.

So why single out the Black millionaire for “making billions” over the actual billionaires?

He types from his MacBook.

Actually, it's a HP Probook. It's the computer my employer provided.

I also have not been silent on criticism of China and it's treatment of people like the Citizens of Hong Kong or the Uyghurs

So why single out the Black millionaire for “making billions” over the actual billionaires?

Well, Lebron is out screaming about human rights in one country while remaining silent about China because he knows he will lose money. He won't lose money here for being critical of things in the U.S.

As soon as schools start giving "additional education related benefits" to male athletes and don't provide like benefits for female athletes, there will be Title IX lawsuits.

As soon as schools start giving "additional education related benefits" to male athletes and don't provide like benefits for female athletes, there will be Title IX lawsuits.

Probably best solution is for colleges to not get involved in additional benefits, but not prevent outside entities from compensating athletes. I was entertaining the idea of a party where the athletes meet donors, but that seems really sketchy

Probably best solution is for colleges to not get involved in additional benefits, but not prevent outside entities from compensating athletes. I was entertaining the idea of a party where the athletes meet donors, but that seems really sketchy

happens regularly after games in the locker room

Well, Lebron is out screaming about human rights in one country while remaining silent about China because he knows he will lose money. He won't lose money here for being critical of things in the U.S.

It’s almost like he has more to say about the country he grew up in and calls home instead of a country he visits sometimes for business. Weird.

Does it bother you more that he screams about human rights in the US or that he doesn’t say much about China? Take your time to reflect on that question.

It’s almost like he has more to say about the country he grew up in and calls home instead of a country he visits sometimes for business. Weird.

Does it bother you more that he screams about human rights in the US or that he doesn’t say much about China? Take your time to reflect on that question.

Bwahaha this is a hysterical take. Lebron criticizes a system that he believes exploits certain people while exploiting people from a different part of the world he doesn't have to see or care about to add to his millions. It's not weird, it's hypocritical.

Just because other parties deserve criticism as well (NBA, Knight, etc.) doesn't mean Lebron shouldn't take some heat.

Does it make Lebron racist that he cares more about black people than the asian people he doesn't mind exploiting?

I agree with this as a solution. Don't directly pay revenue sports athletes, which would harm the non-revenue athletes, but let them profit off their likeness or from other outside sources.

I am pumped. PUMPED i say for EA Sports NCAA Swimming 2023!

"Hey Lebron, shut up and dribble! But if you're going to talk about issues that personally impact you and people you care about in your country, we need to hear you opinions on every issue."

I agree with this as a solution. Don't directly pay revenue sports athletes, which would harm the non-revenue athletes, but let them profit off their likeness or from other outside sources.

Agreed. Simple and straightforward. Let them tap into revenue streams that are available to everyone else and get paid for the use of their name, image, and likeness. The NCAA should pay a standard fee to pay all college athletes for their NIL rights.

Name, image and likeness (NIL): What it means, why it matters and how it will impact the NCAA and college sports

https://theathletic.com/2580642/202...atters-and-how-it-will-impact-college-sports/
(subscription)

Where are we in the Name, Image and Likeness process?

On Saturday, The Athletic obtained a draft of the NCAA’s interim NIL policy. The policy will allow college athletes in all states to monetize their NIL as of July 1. Essentially, the policy will ensure that athletes who “engage in an NIL activity” — sponsorships, endorsements, camps, etc. — are not ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Athletes in states with state NIL laws can follow those laws. Athletes in other states will be able to follow NIL policies set by their schools.

The policy is expected to be revised and then approved by the Division I Board of Directors Wednesday, June 30.

How would college athletes make money within a system that allows them to leverage their NIL?

Under the NIL legislation passed to this point, college athletes would be able to earn money in a variety of different ways (including but not limited to):

• Social media (sponsored posts or advertisements)
  • Autograph sales
  • Youtube channels and Twitter videos
  • Private training lessons
  • Merchandise
  • Endorsement deals

This seems like a viable compromise between paying college athletes as employees and the current amateurism model. What’s the argument against it?

Those opposed to college athletes being allowed to earn compensation via NIL opportunities often point to what they feel will be unintended consequences of the system:

• Added recruiting advantages and an increased potential for cheating
  • Opportunity for third parties or agent-types to scam college athletes
  • Complicated tax ramifications and college athlete unfamiliarity with managing finances
  • The slippery slope from the amateur model to NIL compensation to schools paying college athletes directly
  • Deterioration of what makes college sports different from professional sports

Last edited:

Man, two of those arguments against are some real paternalistic ass points.

Back