• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

How do you all see this playing out - do you think there will be a strong market for the student athletes? I could see a few players doing well; individuals like Zion, Johnny Manziel, Ohashi (UCLA gymnast). I saw Wake lineman Miles Fox tweet that he is essentially open for business starting July 1. Is there a market there? I don't think there is much of a market except for those rare individuals, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are some current student athletes that will do well in the summer Olympics and receive endorsements?

Does this mean that high school student athletes can also accept NIL money?

How do you all see this playing out - do you think there will be a strong market for the student athletes? I could see a few players doing well; individuals like Zion, Johnny Manziel, Ohashi (UCLA gymnast). I saw Wake lineman Miles Fox tweet that he is essentially open for business starting July 1. Is there a market there? I don't think there is much of a market except for those rare individuals, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are some current student athletes that will do well in the summer Olympics and receive endorsements?

Does this mean that high school student athletes can also accept NIL money?

My bet is 90% of the earnings will be in the form of social media sponsored posts. Athletes with a big follower count will do well. And it won’t be just football/basketball players.

The internet is full of random 18-23 year olds who are famous for whatever reason and they don't even have the backing and exposure of college athletics. I don't know if we can project the impact of thousands of athletic young people unleashed on the market at one time. But there will be an impact. Some could make money because they're funny, smart, hot, insightful, or whatever combination. It's not hard to see how they could make money. Maybe a college QB posts Monday Morning QB videos about that Sunday's NFL games. Intrasquad video game tournaments on Twitch. Virtual book clubs. Whatever.

There will definitely be sponsorships. I think there has to be some infrastructure for helping athletes negotiate deals but it can't be something programs can promote.

We're also going to learn a lot more problematic shit about even-more-online athletes. Can't wait!

Yes. That will be the downside. We'll learn really cool shit too.

My bet is 90% of the earnings will be in the form of social media sponsored posts. Athletes with a big follower count will do well. And it won’t be just football/basketball players.

Agreed. But what do you think that looks like? What do you think the average annual NIL money will look like across all P5 football players? $100? $500? $5000? More?

A few other thoughts/questions:

Do colleges currently make money on their social media accounts? For example, on Twitter Sam Hartman has 5000 followers and Wake Football has 50,000.

Will this change the calculation for any baseball players coming out of high school? If one can make $50,000 per year through social media and endorsements, maybe that outweighs some signing bonuses?

Will this change the incentive to go pro early in basketball and football? If a player really likes college sports, maybe $50,000 per year makes sticking around another year more feasible?

What if a player like Johnny Manziel is really doing well on social media and making $800,000 per year, does a school keep giving him a scholarship? I assume so, but maybe not so they can recruit even more scholarship players?

I think there would be significant backlash if schools revoked scholarships from big earners.

I definitely think this could help encourage high school basketball players to go to college instead of the G-League. They’ll get much more exposure and be able to earn from it. Not sure for baseball players since pros gain exposure as part of a specific farm system.

It could help encourage athletes to stay in school. But I don’t think leaving school would cost them subscribers/followers.

The internet is full of random 18-23 year olds who are famous for whatever reason and they don't even have the backing and exposure of college athletics. I don't know if we can project the impact of thousands of athletic young people unleashed on the market at one time. But there will be an impact. Some could make money because they're funny, smart, hot, insightful, or whatever combination. It's not hard to see how they could make money. Maybe a college QB posts Monday Morning QB videos about that Sunday's NFL games. Intrasquad video game tournaments on Twitch. Virtual book clubs. Whatever.

There will definitely be sponsorships. I think there has to be some infrastructure for helping athletes negotiate deals but it can't be something programs can promote.

Schools will absolutely need to have a media and sponsorship department to help their athletes navigate stuff. Include the law school and students to assist with contract review etc. No different than academic advisors. Unless you're u*NC.

It would be an extension of the compliance office.

As long as schools aren’t promoting like “the football team averaged $50,000 in NIL earnings last year” or promising deals to recruits.

Do colleges currently make money on their social media accounts? For example, on Twitter Sam Hartman has 5000 followers and Wake Football has 50,000.

Not sure how a college would make money on their social media accounts since they don’t do sponsored posts or ads like individuals do. It’s a marketing expense.

Wake is going to be in trouble if we have to compete to recruit athletes based on how many followers they’ll have while here.

The recent SCOTUS case was about schools providing extra benefits to student-athletes, not the NIL or non-school payments (although the Kavanaugh opinion hinted those limitations would also fall). So, at a minimum, schools are going to start sweetening the pot for student-athletets with "extras" and schools or conferences are going to to compete over what they can offer.

Wake is going to be in trouble if we have to compete to recruit athletes based on how many followers they’ll have while here.
I'm not sure it will be much different than it is now. The flashy types aren't coming to wake anyway, at least in football

I for one welcome our new Southern Conference overlords and I look forward to watching Wake trying its best to beat the Citadel, Furman, and East Tennessee State annually. Go Deacs.

The comment might have been sarcastic, but I for one agree with it. I am done with all the money based college sports. I am simply too old school to continue supporting a money based system that will get far worse. I plan to replace my two Wake license plates next time around. Have fun guys.

The comment might have been sarcastic, but I for one agree with it. I am done with all the money based college sports. I am simply too old school to continue supporting a money based system that will get far worse. I plan to replace my two Wake license plates next time around. Have fun guys.

I don't get this take.

For decades, money has been at the center of college football and basketball. Lots of people made fortunes off those sports. Why did this not bother people?

Players at many schools have received under the money payments and other benefits since the 1950s. For more than a decade, elite college basketball players essentially used colleges as a 8 month stop over to build their brand before heading to the NBA through the one and done rule. Those guys left campus as soon as their last basketball game was played in March. Shoe companies have been paying players families since the mid-1980s. Players have received stipends for at least five years (including at WF). Anyone acting like college athletics is ruined because student athletes can now openly make money rather than make it through under the table transactions or stipends, just hasn't been paying attention. College sports has been headed this way since the 1990s. With these new rules, schools can at least openly counsel players on how to make some cash while playing sports.

Saavy athletic directors will use this as an opportunity to further promote their schools while also promoting their athletes. The prior system primarily benefitted the cheaters in college sports. At least now, there will be an opportunity for schools to be open and creative in helping their athletes.

I don't get this take.

For decades, money has been at the center of college football and basketball. Lots of people made fortunes off those sports. Why did this not bother people?

Players at many schools have received under the money payments and other benefits since the 1950s. For more than a decade, elite college basketball players essentially used colleges as a 8 month stop over to build their brand before heading to the NBA through the one and done rule. Those guys left campus as soon as their last basketball game was played in March. Shoe companies have been paying players families since the mid-1980s. Players have received stipends for at least five years (including at WF). Anyone acting like college athletics is ruined because student athletes can now openly make money rather than make it through under the table transactions or stipends, just hasn't been paying attention. College sports has been headed this way since the 1990s. With these new rules, schools can at least openly counsel players on how to make some cash while playing sports.

Saavy athletic directors will use this as an opportunity to further promote their schools while also promoting their athletes. The prior system primarily benefitted the cheaters in college sports. At least now, there will be an opportunity for schools to be open and creative in helping their athletes.

Yes, "College sports has been headed this way since the 1990s." I closed my eyes to the outrageous coach salaries, and the millions from the ACC network and the continuing deflation of a college athlete with an education. But reality has finally set in. And yes, i remember when freshmen could not participate until one year at college. Call me whatever you want, but I am done. Enjoy your largely unloyal professional Wake team with an education similar to a community college with a plumbing or welding degree. Not that that is bad, but it is what it is.

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

The elitism is strong in those posts. The degree isn’t going to change. College athletes accrue plenty of social and cultural capital but can’t cash in with economic capital. Makes no sense.

Yes, "College sports has been headed this way since the 1990s." I closed my eyes to the outrageous coach salaries, and the millions from the ACC network and the continuing deflation of a college athlete with an education. But reality has finally set in. And yes, i remember when freshmen could not participate until one year at college. Call me whatever you want, but I am done. Enjoy your largely unloyal professional Wake team with an education similar to a community college with a plumbing or welding degree. Not that that is bad, but it is what it is.

“I closed my eyes and ignored it when old white guys made a ton of money, but young black guys making a fraction of what the coaches make is a bridge too far”

i am skeptical that the new system (when the dust settles) will actually help reduce inequalities between athletes but what's new

maybe at least this is a step toward recognizing what athletes who play for colleges do as labor

Back