• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

Nothing will change immediately and all of the same inequalities will still exist.

With a few exceptions, the guys getting compensated for their images and autographs and appearances are the same guys who will be millionaires a year or two later.

What will ultimately happen is schools will claim they can't handle the extra costs and they'll cut men's Olympic sports. It's already happening.

NCAA needs to jettison football if it wants to survive.

The comment might have been sarcastic, but I for one agree with it. I am done with all the money based college sports. I am simply too old school to continue supporting a money based system that will get far worse. I plan to replace my two Wake license plates next time around. Have fun guys.

You should make a point this fall of hitting up a few games where the talent level and interest aren't as high, but it's still tailgating and football on a fall afternoon. Some of my best gameday experiences over the years have included at Winston-Salem State, William and Mary, Richmond, Hampden-Sydney, Campbell and VMI.

This is the exception, quoting the Post

"NIL rules limited female athletes in major sports such as softball, volleyball and even basketball at the peak of their earning power — unlike in men’s sports, where college can more often mark the beginning, not the end, of a lucrative playing career for top-performing athletes."

The idea of the D1 athlete has incredible currency on tiktok, for some reason, and from what I can tell the athlete posters are almost all women. Probably because their audience is largely women.

Yeah. This could make dozens of otherwise anonymous women athletes into marketable stars and increase ticket sales and coverage of women’s sports. ESPN will definitely market a gymnast or field hockey player with a ton of TikTok followers.

And honestly, I think it will have absolutely nothing to do with where they go to school. The twin girls in that post article play basketball for Fresno State.

And honestly, I think it will have absolutely nothing to do with where they go to school. The twin girls in that post article play basketball for Fresno State.

f41ff73c1e19679ddebcf2e4cc98623c.gif

I would disagree with that. Some schools are going to do a much better job of providing marketing opportunities and will bring a bigger "built in" following for newly arrived freshman athletes.

Wake was noted as having 50K followers of football. Put out welcoming messages to them about new football players. Or, have say Alabama or tOSU put the same out to their millions. School will make a difference.

“What can we do for your brand?” is a conversation colleges should have been having with prospective student-athletes for a long time. Should be discussing that with students in general beyond simple prestige and rep.

Last edited:
Ok, point taken and I'll rephrase:

I don't think big internet stars will necessarily come from the biggest places.

I'm thinking specifically about what I've read on the internet and seen on tiktok (which I don't have, obviously) where ncaa volleyball and track athletes have built themselves followings. They've done this independent of their schools' marketing apparatus, and frankly if the school caught wind of it they might demand it come down.

Though they're not anywhere close to as big as the biggest tiktok celebrities, who according to my gf have become millionaires

Last edited:
But with these new policies, they could be because they can optimize the platform.

Ok, point taken and I'll rephrase:

I don't think big internet stars will necessarily come from the biggest places.

I'm thinking specifically about what I've read on the internet and seen on tiktok (which I don't have, obviously) where ncaa volleyball and track athletes have built themselves followings. They've done this independent of their schools' marketing apparatus, and frankly if the school caught wind of it they might demand it come down.

Though they're not anywhere close to as big as the biggest tiktok celebrities, who according to my gf have become millionaires

So in other words, hot chicks on social media are going to get a lot of attention regardless of actual substance, and then guys who are from big time programs are also going to receive attention, with the exception being non-stars or guys from non-big time programs who have some unusual skill, i.e. trick shots.

Biggest issue is not going to be this stuff. It's going to be what schools/programs will have to pay to get players.

Last edited:
So in other words, hot chicks on social media are going to get a lot of attention regardless of actual substance, and then guys who are from big time programs are also going to receive attention, with the exception being non-stars or guys from non-big time programs who have some unusual skill, i.e. trick shots.

Biggest issue is not going to be this stuff. It's going to be what schools/programs will have to pay to get players.

Yes, I think you're right and that's where the problem lies. Media coverage has rightly (?) focused on the new market power this gives to some athletes that didn't have it before, notably women and Olympic sports athletes.

But a couple of dancing tiktok sprinters are not going to upset the system. Boosters and schools will push the ruling as far as possible.

And Kavanaugh's opinion for the majority basically encouraged others to bring suit. The first domino has fallen.

The actual case was about education related benefits. London trip for men's basketball team so Cam Hidreth and Mathew Marsh's parents can see them play an exhibition game. Of course a professor would go along and the guys would see som high points of Great Britain. Stonehenge Windsor Castle, Westminster Abbey, etc. Exhibition game vs some London suburban team, maybe one from Surrey.

Next year France!

Wake still has the London study abroad program, right? Should be easy to coordinate a basketball trip.

Last edited:
any of our athletes gonna sign deals?

Sam Hartman is probably going to be a spokesperson for Hinge or Bumble (Follow your Hart Man), Nick Andersen will probably do commercials for Walk-On's Restaurant and Sports Bar, the Beef Boys will probably get a deal with Krispy Kreme.... possibilities are endless.

Exactly. They are fake blonde twins, under the age of 21 (young/youngish).

Feels creepy to me, but maybe all their TikTok followers are young kids in China who like to learn from their dribbling videos.

Over the past decade or so I think college sports (especially men's basketball) have lost some appeal because the players go pro early or switch schools, so fans can't build up long-term support (or animosity) for specific players. You see it on this board all the time - someone will post a list of ACC All Conference players and several will comment that they don't know who those players are. Carolina fans love Tyler Hansborough for many reasons, and opposing fans hate him for many reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is because he was good for 4 years. Maybe the new NIL rules will get some players to stay at their school longer and will increase visibility of players, which will generate more interest in the sports. I know who D'eriq King and Bo Nix are, but I typically would not pay any attention to them - I just looked up both to read about their new deals.

Back