• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

Can’t imagine these businesses won’t be sending them 1099s next January. I’m curious what the state tax implications will be. What’s the source of the income? Who do they owe taxes on NIL I come to?

My brother worked at a tax clinic for a branch of the military and he had a ton of young enlisted soldiers whose spouses worked for Uber or Lyft. These soldiers came in expecting a big refund and learned they owed money.

Somebody could make some serious fucking bank setting up as state-specific clearinghouses / contracting entities for multi-state, in-person college player endorsements. Back in my former career i had to help some NFL guys with IRS and state taxing disputes for issues like that and it is really complicated for pros with accountants, the college kids will screw it up left and right. If someone set up a national contracting entity with a subsidiary in each state for a cut of the fee they'd make millions off the bat. Hell, if the NCAA had half a brain they'd do it themselves to try to keep everything in house.

Do we know if any of our players have signed any deals? I keep seeing athletes from various schools and sports signing on with Barstool

I agree the food is good. But they’re brand strategy is to be in your face and generate buzz. So that tweet is very on brand.

College football and basketball is over. Toast. Nobody will care in a few years.

“Your team beat mine just because they got better players by paying them more. Not because recruits wanted to be a part of that beautiful campus you have always bragged about ”

“You’re actually right dude. I really don’t care anymore anyway”

Rivalries over georgraphy or whatever are gone. Hell, it’s all gone.

If paying athletes hurt sports, pro sports wouldn’t exist.

Haha. Good one.

Those two sports have salary caps in the pros. Under this new NIL you can’t make a level playing field. And now we have the end of any debate.

Surely you don’t think college sports had a level playing field before July 1. You just prefer an uneven playing field where athletes’ rights are restricted.

College basketball is already complete trash. If some business wants to pay a one-and-done 19-year old kid for 6 months of exposure while Nike's paying them too, IDGAF.

College football won't change much for the legit Top 20-30 teams.

Surely you don’t think college sports had a level playing field before July 1. You just prefer an uneven playing field where athletes’ rights are restricted.

Ph, you’re smarter than that. You’re certainly smarter than me and it’s not even a fair fight. Which is why I know you either know better or will come out of denial. No way you can possibly think there’s ANY similarity between then and now. If you do then I wish I had the time to illustrate but I really doubt you need that. You are in denial, a stage I was in for a while. Reality will move past that denial sometime soon.

And I don’t prefer athletes’ right being restricted. Never said anything close together to that. But I will miss intercollegiate athletic competition in the two main sports. I actually agree with the Supreme Court decision In terms of fairness and the law as well. But college football and basketball as we knew it - where teams got players (of course there was cheating but it’s no longer even relevant) based on selling the campus or the life or the tradition are gone. Good luck arguing that it’s not gone. Every single game - instead of just the ones you lose to Auburn and wherever Pitino is coaching - can now be written off to what school’s players got the best monetary offers. As it should be. Unavoidable. Free market economy and all. Now to you that may still be an enjoyable way to see outcomes but to me I couldnt give two shits.

Im like you. I don’t want it to be the reality. Hell for a while I tried my best to argue what you are arguing. But its just not the reality of what’s happening. I’m glad as hell I love the Panthers and the Packers and the Hornets and the Bucks.

But I do hope one of my Sigma Chi brethren who is graduating soon invents some app that makes him billions so the Deacs can go undefeated. At least then the non-level playing field would net us a trophy or two. Might be cool, might not be. But the heck with it being anything close to what winning used to mean in college sports.

I would suggest the answer would be to level the playing field as the salary cap does in pro sports. But I bet I could type out in 20 minutes 100 reasons that any model like that won’t work.

Programs that have their act together and can show kids how they'll benefit from their institution and then show it will succeed. Same as it has been. This just adds money to the kids' pockets as well.

The NCAA, member institutions, state legislatures, and Congress have had decades to come up with an actual plan and they chose to hold on to the current system as long as possible. I do agree that will make things more problematic than they need to be. Hopefully an organized uniform system will develop sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I'm all for the Wild West.

When the NCAA failed to hold UNC accountable for 20 years of academic fraud, I realized I was wrong. It is all about money. To think otherwise is naive. I hope the athletes get a fair share of the pie for as long as possible. I don't care what happens to college athletics as a result. There will be winners and losers, liars and cheats, just as there always has been.

When you look at a college football or basketball scoreboard, you will assume - or it will at least be somewhat probable and in the front of your mind - that the team winning is winning because of the payments available to those players and that attracted them to play for that program. It will if nothing else be a big part of the equation in our minds. That is uninteresting to me. If you know who will win, it is uninteresting. And most games will be decided long before they take the court/field. I mean, I guess some people may think it's fun to see a team where the average player only makes $500 a month beat a school whose players average $5,000 a month income. Ok cool - that's an upset I guess. Maybe that would be interesting to some. But it is not intercollegiate amateur athletics - and that is what was fun about college sports and made it a differing option from pro sports. Those 2 sports and the competition is no longer based on the same things it always has been. The NBA has a salary cap for a reason - so the Knicks dont go 82-0. If you don't have an assumed level playing field in sports, your sport ends. MLB is different than pro football and basketball.

Again, we now get pro sports but with lesser athletes and no salary cap to level the playing field. I can't imagine that being interesting and fun. I guess rivalries can be born based on two teams who have similar "payrolls". But I doubt it, because the money paid out can fluctuate from one season to the next - maybe to get the best high school QB prospect to play for a given program. But rivalries won't be based on geography or tradition. UNC's basketball tradition will no longer be the big deal it is now in terms of getting the best players, which is why Roy retired. If UNC bball players have much higher incomes than Duke, you think Duke students are going to even show up at their home game between those two? They will bail and call it unfair and not even take the time to watch on TV or ask what the score was later in the day. Duke could possibly have 50 fans in Cameron in a few years. And if they don't care then why would UNC fans still care about that game? The only reason it was fun was because you knew the other teams fans wanted to win so much.

Amateur sports is gone. Over. I'm not mad about it but I am going to miss it. I grew up with "sail with the pilot" and David Thompson falling on his head and all that came with college sports over my entire lifetime. I think I was 8 when that happened. A big part of why i have picked up the sports page every morning for most of my life and checked ESPN app every morning and read these boards for years to get the scoop on my Deacs was because of college sports and the fun you could have with it. I will say I am sad that is gone. Maybe this new system of sports will become interesting and fun, but I guess I just don't see how if you already know who will win virtually every game. And worse than that, you know WHY.

College basketball is already complete trash. If some business wants to pay a one-and-done 19-year old kid for 6 months of exposure while Nike's paying them too, IDGAF.

College football won't change much for the legit Top 20-30 teams.

Yep. College basketball is awful now and dying outside of 5-10 top programs who's entire university and town is built around the sport (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc) . The one and done rule along with the open transfer policy has killed the sport. Nobody gives a fuck about some no named mercenary who's going to play for their college for 6 months. Which isn't good for interest when basketball is all about the visibility and promotion of individual players.

College football is going to be interesting, but in the end I think it will just increase inequality and start to gut out smaller programs like Wake. These niche endorsements are fun right now, but are larger brands really going to be paying a Wake Forest level player anything in 3-5 years? Maybe a few local companies will continue to support, but their marketing budget is tiny. If anything Wake's best players who aren't ready for the NFL are going to transfer to bigger schools so they can get more endorsements.

Well I am not too sure about that. It isn't necessarily the bigger schools that will have more endorsements. Wake has fewer alumni, but a richer per capita base than most state schools. All it takes is that one. Harvard and Yale have a chance now to split the next 20 national championships.

Well I am not too sure about that. It isn't necessarily the bigger schools that will have more endorsements. Wake has fewer alumni, but a richer per capita base than most state schools. All it takes is that one. Harvard and Yale have a chance now to split the next 20 national championships.

The difference is that a majority of Ivy League alumni, and newer Wake alums if we're being honest, don't have a large connection to their alma mater's athletic programs because they were not relevant when they attended.

Yep. College basketball is awful now and dying outside of 5-10 top programs who's entire university and town is built around the sport (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc) . The one and done rule along with the open transfer policy has killed the sport. Nobody gives a fuck about some no named mercenary who's going to play for their college for 6 months. Which isn't good for interest when basketball is all about the visibility and promotion of individual players.

College football is going to be interesting, but in the end I think it will just increase inequality and start to gut out smaller programs like Wake. These niche endorsements are fun right now, but are larger brands really going to be paying a Wake Forest level player anything in 3-5 years? Maybe a few local companies will continue to support, but their marketing budget is tiny. If anything Wake's best players who aren't ready for the NFL are going to transfer to bigger schools so they can get more endorsements.

This ^^^ Jamie Newman will not be the last Wake player to have success and leave Wake for big-time programs.

Back