• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score

And as we’ve seen with NIL and COVID, the NCAA has no real desire to lead and forge a path forward. All they do is enforce ridiculous rules, make TV deals, and cash checks.

Lots of adults making lots of money on the backs of kids and dumping them when their usefulness ends.

Does this bring into question the future of the NCAA? I would think it certainly will be forced to change if it is to survive.

Does this bring into question the future of the NCAA? I would think it certainly will be forced to change if it is to survive.

100%. The NCAA binds together all the schools through a lot of amateurism requirements. We may end up with certain schools being able to pay more than other schools and creating their own leagues/playoffs, etc.

The NCAA is meeting this week in an attempt to pass legislation allowing college athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. The clock is ticking because, starting July 1, laws passed in six states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas and New Mexico) go into effect which will allow athletes in those states to make money endorsing a local restaurant or car dealership. It's now clear that the NCAA is powerless to take any step to counter the state legislation; so, the NCAA is scrambling to allow athletes in the other 44 states and DC to do the same to avoid the massive recruiting/player retention edge. Sounds like the NCAA fall back may be allow each individual school to adopt its own rules for athletes. If that happens, WF essentially has 10 days to figure out how to deal with this situation, but I guess we can count on Jake LaRavia endorsing Krispy Kreme, Jaquarrii Roberson pumping Flow pre-owned cars, and Sam Hartman advocating for the Nobel Investment Group.

Here is a CBS Sports update on the NCAA last minute attempt to deal with the issue: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-pushing-to-adopt-name-image-and-likeness-rules-before-july-1-after-supreme-court-decision-clears-way/

The NCAA wants Congress or schools to do what they should be doing. The NCAA will allow its own demise if it lets each school adopt their own rules for how athletes can do endorsements.

"I'm Sam Hartman encouraging you not to throw it all away. Invest with Noble Investment Group."

The NCAA is meeting this week in an attempt to pass legislation allowing college athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. The clock is ticking because, starting July 1, laws passed in six states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas and New Mexico) go into effect which will allow athletes in those states to make money endorsing a local restaurant or car dealership. It's now clear that the NCAA is powerless to take any step to counter the state legislation; so, the NCAA is scrambling to allow athletes in the other 44 states and DC to do the same to avoid the massive recruiting/player retention edge. Sounds like the NCAA fall back may be allow each individual school to adopt its own rules for athletes. If that happens, WF essentially has 10 days to figure out how to deal with this situation, but I guess we can count on Jake LaRavia endorsing Krispy Kreme, Jaquarrii Roberson pumping Flow pre-owned cars, and Sam Hartman advocating for the Nobel Investment Group.

Here is a CBS Sports update on the NCAA last minute attempt to deal with the issue: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-pushing-to-adopt-name-image-and-likeness-rules-before-july-1-after-supreme-court-decision-clears-way/

Any school without a dumb shit athletic director already had their regulations drawn up and are just waiting for the go ahead. Not scrambling to put something together in 10 days.

Couple allowing student athletes able to profit off their name, image and likeness with the new transfer rules, and we are a year away from schools essentially buying players out from other schools.

If some freshman crushes it for the football Deacs this Fall, the conversation is going to be "Coach, Tennessee is offering me a $15K a month endorsement from the Pilot Flying J Travel Center; unless you can match it, I got to take care of my family."

Do you think Wake would try to compete? Seems like it would be easier for bigger schools in more metro area's

I think the big stories out of this are going to be more about athletes who monetize their Instagram than a 1980s type concern about schools brokering endorsement deals to steal athletes.

I think the big stories out of this are going to be more about athletes who monetize their Instagram than a 1980s type concern about schools brokering endorsement deals to steal athletes.

Or crowd-sourcing the Bama and LSU fans against each other to help make their recruiting decision easier. Who wants me more? Send me your $20.

Agreed. Some female track and volleyball players are going to make $$$$$$ on IG and TikTok sponsored posts.

When I was a kid, I loved pro sports. Then it became almost entirely about the money. Lists that used to be based on stats became lists of salaries or winnings. I lost interest in most pro sports.

Now it's going to happen to all over again to college sports.

When every single thing is about the money, everything other than the money becomes secondary at best and often irrelevant.

It's a shame.

this is america. it's always about the money.

Back