• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Soccer Thread

So at what point do we admit that we just might not be very good this year. OT win vs 9-man (!!) Cornell not exactly inspiring visions of a College Cup run…

Is 2021 WF men's soccer a young, but talented, team that will improve as the year goes on or is 2021 a young, but mediocre, team that will have up and down results all year?

Is 2021 WF men's soccer a young, but talented, team that will improve as the year goes on or is 2021 a young, but mediocre, team that will have up and down results all year?

By recruiting reputation the former is likely. Recruiting inaccuracy means the latter is possible. Only time will tell, but it seems to me that Muus' teams tend to lose early and are better later.

The Deacon men play their ACC opener tonight at L'ville. L'ville was picked just behind WF (WF was 2nd, L'ville 3rd) in the Atlantic Division in the pre-season ACC poll. L'ville is 2-2 on the season. The game will be available for viewing on ACCN Extra.

BTW, the Deacon women have started the season 7-0, and they have yet to be scored upon and hold a +21 goal differential on the season. That said, the schedule has been soft, but is about to get serious. WF plays at Maryland (not sure if WF has played Maryland in any sport since they left the ACC) on Sunday before the ACC season starts.

ESPN Top Ten

The Deacon men play their ACC opener tonight at L'ville. L'ville was picked just behind WF (WF was 2nd, L'ville 3rd) in the Atlantic Division in the pre-season ACC poll. L'ville is 2-2 on the season. The game will be available for viewing on ACCN Extra.

BTW, the Deacon women have started the season 7-0, and they have yet to be scored upon and hold a +21 goal differential on the season. That said, the schedule has been soft, but is about to get serious. WF plays at Maryland (not sure if WF has played Maryland in any sport since they left the ACC) on Sunday before the ACC season starts.

Men’s team played them in the NCAAs in 2019. I think a few of the other teams have played them as well. Regardless, girls are playing GREAT, and this is a good litmus test match.

Down 2-0 in the first half. This team is turning out to be not very good

In fairness, while we have not played well, we did get absolutely hosed on an awful offsides call to negate a goal, and they came right down to the other end and scored pretty immediately thereafter. This could very easily be (and arguably should be) 1-1.

EDIT: I really cannot stress enough how bad that offsides call was. The linesman was out of position when the ball was played, both Wake players were a full yard and a half in an onside position when the first pass came in. The only possible call was that there was a touch from Omar to Kyle (which is certainly not clear), but even then Kyle was level with the defender when that happened and should still have been onside. Just absolute trash reffing.

Last edited:

Which seems amazing considering how last year went.

We got robbed of a goal on a bad offsides call.

Louisville is bigger and seems like they're more experienced, more poised, and much more aggressive. Plenty of time though.

Well there goes any momentum and possibly any chance of winning the game. What a ridiculous mistake.

Never mind the actual game performance, I will never follow another one. 11 players and a trainer (12 spoiled brats) kneel for the anthem, just after meeting and shaking hands with a Wake Soccer Legend and authentic war hero, who was asked to come and give them some inspiration, and he traveled a long way to do so. Plus after what just happened in Afghanistan, you would think these brats had a clue. All the Louisville players stood. Pathetic and embarrassing that the coaches and administration allowed it.

Never mind the actual game performance, I will never follow another one. 11 players and a trainer (12 spoiled brats) kneel for the anthem, just after meeting and shaking hands with a Wake Soccer Legend and authentic war hero, who was asked to come and give them some inspiration, and he traveled a long way to do so. Plus after what just happened in Afghanistan, you would think these brats had a clue. All the Louisville players stood. Pathetic and embarrassing that the coaches and administration allowed it.

off-to-work-leaving.gif

fuck off

If that’s what those players did, that’s sad and more evidence why I am not supporting WF sports. I was hoping all this “crap” was over with and if it’s still occurring, it’s only on the football field. You aren’t alone in your thinking, Merlin. It is embarrassing. I know most of all the posters will chastise me too as they have in the past as this board loves to do with people that don’t think like they do. Marlin, stay strong and know there are other fans (well, I guess former for the most part) that are still are out there

Back