• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Soccer Thread

We don't need these actions splitting our fan base. In other changes, I understand the football helmets are 'clean' this year.

Never mind the actual game performance, I will never follow another one. 11 players and a trainer (12 spoiled brats) kneel for the anthem, just after meeting and shaking hands with a Wake Soccer Legend and authentic war hero, who was asked to come and give them some inspiration, and he traveled a long way to do so. Plus after what just happened in Afghanistan, you would think these brats had a clue. All the Louisville players stood. Pathetic and embarrassing that the coaches and administration allowed it.

You’re an idiot.

If that’s what those players did, that’s sad and more evidence why I am not supporting WF sports. I was hoping all this “crap” was over with and if it’s still occurring, it’s only on the football field. You aren’t alone in your thinking, Merlin. It is embarrassing. I know most of all the posters will chastise me too as they have in the past as this board loves to do with people that don’t think like they do. Marlin, stay strong and know there are other fans (well, I guess former for the most part) that are still are out there

You’re also an idiot.

If that’s what those players did, that’s sad and more evidence why I am not supporting WF sports. I was hoping all this “crap” was over with and if it’s still occurring, it’s only on the football field. You aren’t alone in your thinking, Merlin. It is embarrassing. I know most of all the posters will chastise me too as they have in the past as this board loves to do with people that don’t think like they do. Marlin, stay strong and know there are other fans (well, I guess former for the most part) that are still are out there

I am completely embarrassed!

….by how dumb you are

It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly and proudly people are to exhibit their sheer ignorance.

I watched from the beginning of the broadcast. All the players were on the field ready to start the game, they knelt, and got back up and started the game. The camera went to the Wake sideline and all the players were getting up from kneeling. It was maybe 15 seconds. I figured it was a quick 9/11 tribute. The stadium announcer was fuzzy and the commentators didn’t mention it.

I watched from the beginning of the broadcast. All the players were on the field ready to start the game, they knelt, and got back up and started the game. The camera went to the Wake sideline and all the players were getting up from kneeling. It was maybe 15 seconds. I figured it was a quick 9/11 tribute. The stadium announcer was fuzzy and the commentators didn’t mention it.

This is actually an ACC thing and has been in effect since at least last season for every men's and women's soccer game. If that's what that poster is complaining about, then it's pretty clear he's not actively following our program and is just looking for an excuse to rip into some college athletes.

It is nice to know these boards are where “we can discuss Wake Forest freely”. Well, only when it’s fits the narrative of some people. All I know is that kneeling around the time of our one and only national anthem is what they are doing, it’s going to divide some people and not everyone is going to agree with whatever their agenda is. Good to hear that the football helmets are “clean” but hopefully they are not waving the “other” flag when running onto the field. But if they want to do all that, it’s going to make some people (I know most agree with this non sports related actions).
I know you guys are embarrassed by me but I’m quite embarrassed by the actions of some of the athletes. Go ahead board posters, fire away at me as you guys love to target people for their opinions.

It is nice to know these boards are where “we can discuss Wake Forest freely”. Well, only when it’s fits the narrative of some people. All I know is that kneeling around the time of our one and only national anthem is what they are doing, it’s going to divide some people and not everyone is going to agree with whatever their agenda is. Good to hear that the football helmets are “clean” but hopefully they are not waving the “other” flag when running onto the field. But if they want to do all that, it’s going to make some people (I know most agree with this non sports related actions).
I know you guys are embarrassed by me but I’m quite embarrassed by the actions of some of the athletes. Go ahead board posters, fire away at me as you guys love to target people for their opinions.

You are freely discussing your opinions on this board. Others are free to discuss how you are ignorant to what you speak of on this topic.

It has nothing to do with the flag or national anthem. I suggest you educate yourself and dO yOuR oWn ReSeArCh!

Seems like you don’t want to discuss Wake sports freely. You want to discuss Wake sports without being criticized or being accountable to the truth. You’re free to be hateful scum who doesn’t want to see athletes stand up for themselves and their teammates. Just don’t be surprised when people call you out on it. People like you see athletes as tools for your own enjoyment. I’m embarrassed by people like you.

So, discussing something freely means to discuss it free from disagreement?

No one has deleted or edited your post. You have stated your opinion. Others are free to disagree and defend those athletes that embarrass you. It is my opinion that people get way too worked up about symbolism.

“Freely” doesn’t mean you get to insult other people without being subject to insult, yourself. Damn, conservatives can be entitled little brats. You really think the rules should be that you get to criticize others without anyone being able to criticize you?

Never mind the actual game performance, I will never follow another one. 11 players and a trainer (12 spoiled brats) kneel for the anthem, just after meeting and shaking hands with a Wake Soccer Legend and authentic war hero, who was asked to come and give them some inspiration, and he traveled a long way to do so. Plus after what just happened in Afghanistan, you would think these brats had a clue. All the Louisville players stood. Pathetic and embarrassing that the coaches and administration allowed it.

I’m glad to see the Wake Forest student athletes are engaged and aware of the world around them. As most know, kneeling during the National anthem is a form of silent and peaceful protest to bring attention to the fact that Black Americans are subject to higher levels of police violence. Kneeling during the anthem is not related to the US military.

Last year the Wake men’s soccer team played at Louisville the day after the Breonna Taylor decision not to charge the Louisville police officers for her death. The game time was moved to earlier in the evening to avoid the curfew in Louisville. The Wake and Louisville players knelt before the game in what I thought was a strong showing of support for Black Americans. I’m glad they are still supporting this movement.

Last edited:
It’s the American flag, not the military flag. It specifically represents our country, not our military. People trying to turn this into disrespect for the military is just the next move in a long line of racists efforts to discredit civil rights movements.

Women's team beat Maryland 2-0 and still is not allowed a goal. ACC play starts so we'll see how good we really are here shortly.

The women play #3 Virginia at home on Friday at 5.

Women's team beat Maryland 2-0 and still is not allowed a goal. ACC play starts so we'll see how good we really are here shortly.

23-0 collective goal differential. Impressive.

Back