• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Soccer Thread

Pilchard

Reaction score
The 2021 Men's Soccer schedule is out:

Exhibitions against Furman (August 15) and Coastal Carolina (August 21).

OOC games against:

VCU
Bucknell
Cornell
Liberty
George Mason (only OOC roadie; a chance for DC area fans to see the Deacs)
Loyola MD
William and Mary
GW

WF doesn't play NC State in conference play. Deacs do draw Clemson, L'ville, UNC, Pitt, BC, Cuse, VT and Duke.

Here is the link: https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule

The 2021 roster is also up, looks like six incoming frosh: https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

is the expectation that all freshman make it to campus? I saw in the last thread Roald Mitchell was doing pretty well in the USL

any other potential straight-to-pros guys?

Any idea what’s going on with the supporters group The Congregation? I saw they tweeted something it being their last tweet. I was wondering if this was related to the hill now requiring tickets.

Any idea what’s going on with the supporters group The Congregation? I saw they tweeted something it being their last tweet. I was wondering if this was related to the hill now requiring tickets.

I think there's a great deal of frustration over this for sure.

The 2021 Men's Soccer schedule is out:

Exhibitions against Furman (August 15) and Coastal Carolina (August 21).

OOC games against:

VCU
Bucknell
Cornell
Liberty
George Mason (only OOC roadie; a chance for DC area fans to see the Deacs)
Loyola MD
William and Mary
GW

WF doesn't play NC State in conference play. Deacs do draw Clemson, L'ville, UNC, Pitt, BC, Cuse, VT and Duke.

Here is the link: https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule

The 2021 roster is also up, looks like six incoming frosh: https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

Odd to me we don't play every team in our division, but we have 8 non-con games, including - you guessed it - Liberty!

Bummer but you kind of can't blame Wake for making people pay something to watch. Particularly after a year of financial challenges.

Bummer but you kind of can't blame Wake for making people pay something to watch. Particularly after a year of financial challenges.

Meh. How many people do you think they get on the hill? A couple of hundred, for a big game? The Congregration's influence has brought the university more value than that. Shortsighted move.

Whats the thought on this team? Im guessing since we arent losing that much from the spring, we should have a good chance for the College Cup. Right? Im assuming the spine of the team will be around the same, with some of the better freshman maybe making a case for some of the forward spots/outside back or CAM spots?

Yesterday, WF officially announced and profiled the 16 newcomers on the WF women's soccer team for the 2021 Fall season. https://godeacs.com/news/2021/7/12/wake-forest-announces-the-addition-of-16-newcomers.aspx

Far from a soccer expert, but landing G'town transfer Jenna Menta, the BIG EAST All-Freshman Team in 2017, 2020 BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year and 2020 BIG EAST Tournament Most Outstanding Offensive Player, seems like a huge get.

WF recruits from all over:
- 2 from NC
- 2 from FL
- 2 from CA
- Recruits from TX, MD, VA, SC, MN, IL, NY, NM

International recruits from UK (Arsenal), Canada and Iceland

Seems like a huge haul.

Whats the thought on this team? Im guessing since we arent losing that much from the spring, we should have a good chance for the College Cup. Right? Im assuming the spine of the team will be around the same, with some of the better freshman maybe making a case for some of the forward spots/outside back or CAM spots?

Well I for one think theyll make the college cup! lol

Going off of last year we should expect something like this

____________Holcomb______________
__Forbes________________Kijima____
________Hernandez__Swallen________
_____________Suzuki______________
_Rula__Amponsah_Benalcazar__Tubbs_
_____________Mcnally_____________

With the incoming freshman/ the greyshirts from the spring what spots appear to be up for grabs?
My pick in descending order of likelihood is the 9, either of the 8/10's and the wingers. Suzuki at the 6 seems pretty locked. The defense looks pretty solid, don't see much room unless there's some shakeup with either tubbs or amponsah rotating off the bench. Mcnally should start in goal, he deserves that at least. But with 2 new keepers I could see some competition ramping up as we get deeper into the season.

Mitchell seems legit. Shihab was in a PL academy.

Last edited:
Ike Opara's contract has been bought out by MNU. Looks like the end of the road for a Wake Forest great. Here's to you, Ike.

Going off of last year we should expect something like this

____________Holcomb______________
__Forbes________________Kijima____
________Hernandez__Swallen________
_____________Suzuki______________
_Rula__Amponsah_Benalcazar__Tubbs_
_____________Mcnally_____________

With the incoming freshman/ the greyshirts from the spring what spots appear to be up for grabs?
My pick in descending order of likelihood is the 9, either of the 8/10's and the wingers. Suzuki at the 6 seems pretty locked. The defense looks pretty solid, don't see much room unless there's some shakeup with either tubbs or amponsah rotating off the bench. Mcnally should start in goal, he deserves that at least. But with 2 new keepers I could see some competition ramping up as we get deeper into the season.

Mitchell seems legit. Shihab was in a PL academy.

That looks about right. I think we could see Sears for Forbes based on who is in best form.

Looking back on the UNC match, Kijima played his best football and honestly may have been the best player on the field. I think he’s primed for a HUGE leap.

I think with new comers, it’s going to be VERY hard to keep Babacar off the field. He may push to be a Day 1 starter.

That looks about right. I think we could see Sears for Forbes based on who is in best form.

Looking back on the UNC match, Kijima played his best football and honestly may have been the best player on the field. I think he’s primed for a HUGE leap.

I think with new comers, it’s going to be VERY hard to keep Babacar off the field. He may push to be a Day 1 starter.

From a 2 second google search followed by a 5 minute video I see what you mean about Baba. He plays like a big man and is able to bully people off the ball and I legitimately wasn't sure which was his dominant foot for half the video. He looks like a quality player in the making.

first lineup of the season
Wrona
Mitchell-Guarino-Mancilla
Shihab-Suzuki
Forbes-Amponsah-Scrivner-Kijima
Mcnally

Looks pretty much like a 2nd team save for 2 or 3 guys. Interesting way to start off the first exhibition

first lineup of the season
Wrona
Mitchell-Guarino-Mancilla
Shihab-Suzuki
Forbes-Amponsah-Scrivner-Kijima
Mcnally

Looks pretty much like a 2nd team save for 2 or 3 guys. Interesting way to start off the first exhibition

I thought in past years, Muuss would have almost two separate XI's for 1st and 2nd half of exhibitions. IIRC, we've lost some of those and gone on to have very successful seasons

I thought in past years, Muuss would have almost two separate XI's for 1st and 2nd half of exhibitions. IIRC, we've lost some of those and gone on to have very successful seasons

yeah not surprised, just assumed 1st team would start the game. Not really something to worry about, just thought it was interesting

Back