• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Diplomacy Game Thread - GAME OVER, GERMANY SOLO VICTORY

Were you and Austria not allied against Turkey in the early game? I was so confident that was happening until like 1903

Trying to remember back with clarity, I am fairly certain Austria and I had patched things up a bit post-1901, but with Russia crumbling I was hoping I could ally with Turkey to get the Austrian SCs as he picked up the Russian ones. Turns out he had no interest in ever going north and was playing me the whole time, but such is Diplomacy.

Italy is really hard, I never could find that 5th SC which sucked. I tried to juggle all the diplomatic relations I could but it’s so tough because the two best places to expand are so hard to get to without telegraphing everything. It was a fun game and I am hopeful that we can put together another at some point, I clearly need to improve in some areas.

Yeah, from what I read Italy is among the most difficult to win as.

I thought I was fucked when I got Germany. I had never played the and had close contact with every country but Turkey, which I thought meant I had to immediately pick an alliance. But then Russia and France both wanted to be firm allies and I had no enemies until I chose to have them.

Italy is really hard, I never could find that 5th SC which sucked. I tried to juggle all the diplomatic relations I could but it’s so tough because the two best places to expand are so hard to get to without telegraphing everything. It was a fun game and I am hopeful that we can put together another at some point, I clearly need to improve in some areas.

Garlic Thanksgiving now makes total sense that I know you were Italy. That line did crack me up. But you kept hinting at "reading" or "watching" things so I thought a newbie was Italy playing for the first time.

My plan when I was talking to all y'all was to stay with Germany and then stab him the very next move (which was going to be a spring move) by basically doing what I told y'all I was going to do that fall turn (Rum-Ukr, Con/Ank convoyed to Sev to take Mos).

Then I convinced myself that if I lied to y'all and then did that move the very next turn that nobody would have come to my aid against Germany. So decided to bide my time.

My biggest mistake was not realizing that Italy was going to get a build after I took Serbia from them so I thought Naples was going to be a free SC pickup that next year. Once Germany told me during the build turn that Italy would build a fleet in Naples it hit me that I fucked up as I had already moved my BLA fleet to Con that previous fall and going right back to the BLA would tip Germany off of what was coming. So I tried to wait and wait for another good opportunity and it never came.

Plus, I dithered way too long with Italy instead of going for the kill and fucked myself there. If I get to 14 and Germany is at 15 or 16 I think we go 17/17 there.

I didn't know Germany was feeding Italy my intentions (which I only half-stuck with my last message to Germany) until Germany told me after the game was pretty much over. Italy telling me that at any point would have changed my calculus from looking for the perfect stab opportunity to maybe just fucking doing it because then I would have known he wasn't the good ally I believed he was until we squabbled over Venice in fall 1907 (I think).

A good amount of what I told you was honestly true. I don’t think I lied to you much aside from feeding Italy some moves that really just served to slow you down. But a 17/17 split was never my primary goal, just the backup plan if you managed to catch up to my number of SCs somehow.

I told you this too, but I really struggled finding the right time to stab an ally. It’s why I talked myself into helping you in Trieste. It was hard to know when I could get away with stabbing you and having no allies left.

Garlic Thanksgiving now makes total sense that I know you were Italy. That line did crack me up. But you kept hinting at "reading" or "watching" things so I thought a newbie was Italy playing for the first time.

I still think Garlic Thanksgiving was the right call when Russia crumbled so early, but it is what it is. Good game, DV7

14, great job convincing dv7 that you were a carebear that would never try for a solo. I'm still stunned that it worked, but you must have been really convincing, so kudos on your in game press.

I did all that on my own and decided my best path forward was in an alliance with Germany moving west. It wasn't Germany's idea for me to send that message to Eng/Fra/Aus/Ita.

I surprised d14 with that news.

But again, my initial sinister plan was to do that, push Germany's armies further west, and then start the onslaught onto Russia's SCs. But I balked thinking that nobody would be bothered to help me after the stunt I pulled.

Given how people played at the end of the game, multiple game years later, I'd say I was right to pause my "trick-to-stab" plan.

Also to respond here DV7, what did you think was the most likely outcome of your fake alliance stab? Because the most obvious thing happened, Germany immediately had a grip on the game and an easy solo shot and only his mistake to allow you into Trieste kept him from ending this even more easily.

Did you think you would slingshot and actually get enough quick SCs to get to 17/17 + Germany wouldn’t stab you? I just don’t understand your calculus to set all that up when there is no clear advantage to you doing so. It just ended up with the same result but with 4 countries pissed at you instead of 1.

I didn't realize that after the Serbia win that you (Italy) would have a build in Naples. It was stupid on my part. But d14 can confirm. I was talking like Naples was a certainty the turn after that stunt.

I take Naples then Tunis/Rome/Venice/Trieste fall in quick succession. That would have put me nearly level with Germany with just Mar/Spa/Por to go to get 17.

I goofed on realizing you still had 4 SCs because you took Venice back from Austria.

I surprised d14 with that news.

Uhhh, yeah you did. I remember being really confused why you were helping me so much in the northwest. But I certainly didn’t complain.

I honestly thought it could have been some sick power play where you were telling me how you were gonna stab me, helping me hurt France in Belgium, then going to stab me in Sev exactly the way you told me you were lying to them.

I still think Garlic Thanksgiving was the right call when Russia crumbled so early, but it is what it is. Good game, DV7

You used that term in S01 when I (correctly, as it turned out) felt that you and Austria were preparing some sort of Lepanto.

I was solid with Russia until he built a fleet in Sev after 1901. Once he decided he wanted to beef up on the Black Sea that alliance was dead in the water to me.

Lol dv7 is telling the truth about his mistake. He messaged me that he had a free SC in Naples, which he believed until I very happily informed him that he in fact did not have that at all

You used that term in S01 when I (correctly, as it turned out) felt that you and Austria were preparing some sort of Lepanto.

I was solid with Russia until he built a fleet in Sev after 1901. Once he decided he wanted to beef up on the Black Sea that alliance was dead in the water to me.

That’s not correct lol, I literally at no point in time had any intention of a Lepanto, you were so terrified of that

Yeah, from what I read Italy is among the most difficult to win as.

I thought I was fucked when I got Germany. I had never played the and had close contact with every country but Turkey, which I thought meant I had to immediately pick an alliance. But then Russia and France both wanted to be firm allies and I had no enemies until I chose to have them.

Italy gets a bad rap, IMO

It's one of my favorite nations to play with because there are so many options on what to do AND you never have to get married to a strategy. In a game I'm doing right now (thanks Gooner for getting me back to playing Diplo and wasting hours of my day!) I am up to 7 SCs because Austria was a dumbass and I stabbed Russia. The bad news is that there is a WTA and France has all 5 of their units on my western border while I have armies in Vienna and Budapest.

I also like playing as Italy.

In another game I fired up, I drew my least favorite country: Russia. I always feel like Russia is two countries that both have too few units to do much.

Anyways, I had fun, and am now #undefeated

I also may retire now because goddamn I spent too much time at work staring at that map

A good amount of what I told you was honestly true. I don’t think I lied to you much aside from feeding Italy some moves that really just served to slow you down. But a 17/17 split was never my primary goal, just the backup plan if you managed to catch up to my number of SCs somehow.

I told you this too, but I really struggled finding the right time to stab an ally. It’s why I talked myself into helping you in Trieste. It was hard to know when I could get away with stabbing you and having no allies left.

I noticed two things with your comms that I stupidly pushed aside...

1) you started getting really cagey with your moves in the north
2) the Tyrolia army to Pie/Ven thing.

I 100% should have gone against you the moment you didn't support me into Venice instead opting for Pied. I remember thinking to myself, that isn't the move for a 17/17. But I ignored it because I had no other friends.

:foreveralone:

That’s not correct lol, I literally at no point in time had any intention of a Lepanto, you were so terrified of that

I misread 14's post as one from you as your avatar was under it. Withdrawn.

Except the Russia part. A 2nd fleet in Sev at the first opportunity = no trust between Turkey and Russia. Write that down.

I noticed two things with your comms that I stupidly pushed aside...

1) you started getting really cagey with your moves in the north
2) the Tyrolia army to Pie/Ven thing.

I 100% should have gone against you the moment you didn't support me into Venice instead opting for Pied. I remember thinking to myself, that isn't the move for a 17/17. But I ignored it because I had no other friends.

:foreveralone:

I did support you into Venice tho. I just didn’t want to, and was going to support Italy immediately back in until France just made my winning as simple as possible

dv7, by the way, you have a tell on your messages when you lie. I remember seeing it before in a game with you when you did it this game. And no, I have no plans of telling you what it is.

Anyways, I had fun, and am now #undefeated

I also may retire now because goddamn I spent too much time at work staring at that map

I call bullshit. You've caught the bug.

You'll be looking for public games within the week.

Except the Russia part. A 2nd fleet in Sev at the first opportunity = no trust between Turkey and Russia. Write that down.

He did it because he thought he could trust me. He was pretty direct about wanting a long term G/R alliance. Me letting him have Sweden in 1901 worked brilliantly. It ensured that Russia would not build in the north because he thought he could trust me, and it helped me get in on alliances with Austria/Turkey. Then I just took all the Russian SCs anyways, including Sweden.

Back