• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Diplomacy Game Thread - GAME OVER, GERMANY SOLO VICTORY

I thought dv7 was Russia, so I guess I was wrong on all guesses.

I made a horrible mistake supporting Turkey into Trieste in 1907/1908 or whenever. I honestly just was real confident he wouldn’t stab me and that I would be faster to 17/18 SCs than him. I miscalculated that for sure but it still worked out. I really feel like that was my only major mistake of the game

I was Turkey.

After pulling the wool over everyone's eyes that one turn I was very close to leaving my fleet in the Black Sea and building an army to convoy to Sev and move Rum-Ukr that next spring.

I nearly did it but figured that nobody else would come to my aid in a fight against Germany after the stunt (not stab -- semantics, but still) that I pulled. And given the saltiness was still so strong from Italy and France like 6 turns later, I'd say I was right to not try for the stab then, which was my best opportunity to do so.

France just handing me the solo made it a bit less fun for me, but I’m 95% sure I still would have soloed without that happening.

I made a horrible mistake supporting Turkey into Trieste in 1907/1908 or whenever. I honestly just was real confident he wouldn’t stab me and that I would be faster to 17/18 SCs than him. I miscalculated that for sure but it still worked out. I really feel like that was my only major mistake of the game

I was convinced that Germany was redwing. I wouldn't have helped you so much if I didn't think I knew you irl.

I thought sd3 was France. I know him too but it's fun to goad sd3.

I thought Gooner was Russia.

Wtf was that between Austria and Italy in the mid game? Why on earth were you fighting each other like that?

I think I said this to dv7/Turkey, but a major reason I won is that Russia, France, and Austria all weren’t interested in fighting me in the early game. I just chilled and got like 7 SCs before anybody gave a shit (well besides Russia who got annihilated by a Turkey/Austria/Germany alliance that mostly just resulted in more SCs for me)

France just handing me the solo made it a bit less fun for me, but I’m 95% sure I still would have soloed without that happening.

and how Italy never told me that you were leaking them my moves to try and get me to turn on you is flabbergasting.

I was convinced that Germany was redwing. I wouldn't have helped you so much if I didn't think I knew you irl.

I thought sd3 was France. I know him too but it's fun to goad sd3.

I thought Gooner was Russia.

Lol fuck you too

I was Turkey.

After pulling the wool over everyone's eyes that one turn I was very close to leaving my fleet in the Black Sea and building an army to convoy to Sev and move Rum-Ukr that next spring.

I nearly did it but figured that nobody else would come to my aid in a fight against Germany after the stunt (not stab -- semantics, but still) that I pulled. And given the saltiness was still so strong from Italy and France like 6 turns later, I'd say I was right to not try for the stab then, which was my best opportunity to do so.

I still maintain (as I messaged you in game) that the most likely outcome of this game in the midgame, if played correctly, was a Turkish solo. You have so much time to sit back in your corner and barely grow as Turkey. You have the hardest defense to crack in the game.

All you had to do was let the "stop the leader" alliance push Germany back a few centers and you could slowly continue to creep west/north. Eventually, some other powers would squabble again and you could take a few more.

I generally like your talkative, collaborative playstyle. I just think you tried to play too quickly/rush it this game.

And what was your goal? Did you expect to be able to stab Germany for the win? How would that have happened?

WFU03, in the midgame, the only country in any sort of position to take SCs from me was Turkey. It would have left him with no allies and me mobilizing forces against him. The real outcome of that is France getting to stabilize, not Turkey getting an easy solo

Wtf was that between Austria and Italy in the mid game? Why on earth were you fighting each other like that?

I took a stab at Trieste in 1901 just to take a shot. If it works, I’m set super strong, if it doesn’t no harm done. But Austria held that over me for the rest of the game, and after DV7 hung me out to dry in 1903/04 in Greece, that was clearly it for Austria. Even despite the looming German threat after that, he went after me and left his backdoor open for Turkey and Germany, I assume out of spite.

14, great job convincing dv7 that you were a carebear that would never try for a solo. I'm still stunned that it worked, but you must have been really convincing, so kudos on your in game press.

Also to respond here DV7, what did you think was the most likely outcome of your fake alliance stab? Because the most obvious thing happened, Germany immediately had a grip on the game and an easy solo shot and only his mistake to allow you into Trieste kept him from ending this even more easily.

Did you think you would slingshot and actually get enough quick SCs to get to 17/17 + Germany wouldn’t stab you? I just don’t understand your calculus to set all that up when there is no clear advantage to you doing so. It just ended up with the same result but with 4 countries pissed at you instead of 1.

I took a stab at Trieste in 1901 just to take a shot. If it works, I’m set super strong, if it doesn’t no harm done. But Austria held that over me for the rest of the game, and after DV7 hung me out to dry in 1903/04 in Greece, that was clearly it for Austria. Even despite the looming German threat after that, he went after me and left his backdoor open for Turkey and Germany, I assume out of spite.

Were you and Austria not allied against Turkey in the early game? I was so confident that was happening until like 1903

Italy is really hard, I never could find that 5th SC which sucked. I tried to juggle all the diplomatic relations I could but it’s so tough because the two best places to expand are so hard to get to without telegraphing everything. It was a fun game and I am hopeful that we can put together another at some point, I clearly need to improve in some areas.

I don’t really care who believes this or not, but I’d already chosen to go for Belgium over London when dv7 messaged me that he learned from the fake alliance Belgium would be open. And I still didn’t fully trust him so I took it with the North Sea instead of an army to make sure support wouldn’t be cut

WFU03, in the midgame, the only country in any sort of position to take SCs from me was Turkey. It would have left him with no allies and me mobilizing forces against him. The real outcome of that is France getting to stabilize, not Turkey getting an easy solo

It never would have been an easy solo.

And, yes, Turkey in coordination with the other powers takes a center or two. You are then forced to destroy/retreat and the alliances shift. Turkey ends up 2 centers stronger with a better board position.

My plan when I was talking to all y'all was to stay with Germany and then stab him the very next move (which was going to be a spring move) by basically doing what I told y'all I was going to do that fall turn (Rum-Ukr, Con/Ank convoyed to Sev to take Mos).

Then I convinced myself that if I lied to y'all and then did that move the very next turn that nobody would have come to my aid against Germany. So decided to bide my time.

My biggest mistake was not realizing that Italy was going to get a build after I took Serbia from them so I thought Naples was going to be a free SC pickup that next year. Once Germany told me during the build turn that Italy would build a fleet in Naples it hit me that I fucked up as I had already moved my BLA fleet to Con that previous fall and going right back to the BLA would tip Germany off of what was coming. So I tried to wait and wait for another good opportunity and it never came.

Plus, I dithered way too long with Italy instead of going for the kill and fucked myself there. If I get to 14 and Germany is at 15 or 16 I think we go 17/17 there.

I didn't know Germany was feeding Italy my intentions (which I only half-stuck with my last message to Germany) until Germany told me after the game was pretty much over. Italy telling me that at any point would have changed my calculus from looking for the perfect stab opportunity to maybe just fucking doing it because then I would have known he wasn't the good ally I believed he was until we squabbled over Venice in fall 1907 (I think).

Back