• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Diplomacy Game Thread - GAME OVER, GERMANY SOLO VICTORY

Do you have to press finalize? If you get orders entered but never finalize will what you have entered just process or would that count as missing a deadline?

Do you have to press finalize? If you get orders entered but never finalize will what you have entered just process or would that count as missing a deadline?

You do not have to press finalize if you have entered orders, but it does speed the game up if everyone has done so.

With no deadline on weekends or holidays does that mean the next deadline after builds is going to be on Tuesday?

With no deadline on weekends or holidays does that mean the next deadline after builds is going to be on Tuesday?

I believe the weekends are correct, but there might be a deadline on Monday, I'll have to check.

ETA: If we need to pause the game, there is a mechanism to do so if a Monday deadline occurs and will be an issue.

Probably, but if people hit finalize those deadlines don't matter. I'm watching a bit but damn, builds in 01 should take about 3 minutes to finalize.

So, after fall 1901, what's going on?

France: two builds and an army stuck in spain. Doesn't trust Germany. Should probably be reevaluating its relationship with England.

England: can't actually be this incompetent, right? Right?!? On the bright side, somehow managing to keep an army in Liverpool means he can't build there.

Germany: got two builds but can't feel great about France. At least England should be persuadable. Looks like Russia doesn't care about the West for now, which is a good thing for Germany. Austria and Italy didn't do anything stupid against it either.

On the other side...

Russia: managed not to make anyone mad. He's allied with Germany, Austria, Turkey, and England (but probably not really Austria although taking Rumania with a fleet is certainly good news for Austria). Letting the Turkish fleet into the Black Sea looks like trouble or it is just another fake in the not real Russia/Turkey war to allow Turkey's fleet to get out into the open. Russia's two builds will be interesting. Will both go to the south?

Turkey: what happened in Greece? Was that an agreed upon bounce with Austria? Did he expect Russia to attack the Austrian homeland and/or fake it well enough to actually take Greece? Austria could have supported the fleet in if it really wanted to, so perhaps there was no agreement about Greece and both just played it safe.

Austria: Italy tried to take Trieste, or not. Italy and Austria are both dead if they attack each other at this point. The Austria self-bounce lends credence to the sneak attack being real, but it seems so silly at this point that if Italy is an experienced player, I'm guessing it was agreed upon. If Italy is not an experienced player, then they are both dead anyway if they don't patch it up.

Italy: Lepanto. Maybe a sneak attack. Leaving France alone currently. With France likely to get nowhere against Germany, moving west has to be at least a consideration. Not necessarily a smart one at this point, but a consideration. With Venice filled, let's see where the build goes and what it is.

Who hasn't finalized their build order?

I have. I guess it doesn't really matter since the next phase will be the weekend, but it feels like build phases should go quicker than this

Likely England is trying to build in Liverpool and can't figure out how to do it.

The deadline will not occur on Monday, thankfully. Deadline late Tuesday morning for orders.

The deadline will not occur on Monday, thankfully. Deadline late Tuesday morning for orders.

Are you sure? My game says that the deadline is in 71 hours, which would be Monday

Are you sure? My game says that the deadline is in 71 hours, which would be Monday

When I pull up the active game page, mine says deadline is July 5, 10:42am

I mean I don't get Monday off so I'm fine with a Monday deadline, but I think other people said they would prefer it not be Monday

So, anything interesting in the builds? Yes!

France: Fleet Brest and Army Paris splits the difference between being worried about Germany and being worried about England. It looks like France and Germany might have resolved their differences. England, that fleet in Brest is not great news for you.

England: I'm done ragging on you. Probably. Fleet London is the correct build unless Russia attacks you. Speaking of which....

Germany: A fleet in Kiel. Interesting. Also leads me to believe Germany and France might now be getting along.

Russia: The fleet in STP (nc) should make Germany very happy and England very unhappy. England, prepare to lose Norway. The fleet in Sev is odd though. Maybe I'm wrong and there is actual beef with Turkey. Otherwise, let the Turkish fleets rule the Med and your armies steamroll across Europe. The fleet in Sev is great news for Austria though. That fleet can't move inland and is a good bit of evidence that there is a real alliance.

Turkey: Logical build if Russia isn't attacking you. If Russia is, it's in the wrong location.

Austria: Army Trieste essentially means Austria is eliminated unless it has a rock solid alliance with Russia. If you're fighting Italy in 1902, you're generally both toast. I fully expect to see Russia and Turkey head west and consolidate power in the East. If Russia knew that Austria would build in Trieste, I imagine its build orders would look very different. The best case scenario for Austria is that Russia and Turkey fight each other while it focuses on Italy, but that seems highly unlikely. If I were playing Russia, I would be lying to Austria and using my build as proof of my good intentions...right up until I stab Austria.

Italy: Fleet Naples says, "I'm sorry Austria." I'm sure Italy will be less than thrilled with Austria's build and less than thrilled with Turkey's build. On the other hand, at least France didn't build Army Marseilles. If the Austro-Russian alliance is real, Italy needs to get Turkey on its side. That's a temporary alliance at best, but it's needed if there's an AR. If it's fake, then it needs to get Austria to get headed east quickly.

Novice diplomacy players will not be happy with such a long deadline until moves. Veteran players will realize that 95% of the game of diplomacy happens in written messages between turns and will relish the extra time to craft convincing lies.

If a July 5th deadline won't for people, we can vote to pause the game and resume it after the holiday weekend.

I'm lying in bed dealing with a kidney stone, so I really don't care when the deadline is. Either should work fine.

It looks like the deadline is going to process in 3 hours unless people accept the request to push it back a day

There was a vote to pause until tomorrow by Italy, if you go to the Status tab on the game, you can choose to accept or not. If it is not accepted, the deadline will process in about 2 hours.

Back