• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cooked for 30-40 people for our sons first birthday.

Chik Fil A sounds like a better deal.

Our son has picked a very inopportune time to stop sleeping and staying in his bed.

We had a cookout this past weekend when I was in Boone with about 20-25 people and the person who grilled everything is a saint for doing so. Looked awful, especially as I drank beer and played corn hole instead of cooking. Otherwise, it was a everybody bring a side/dessert/drinks deal which works out well if everybody actually does so & brings something good.

Last edited:
When we cook stuff, scrambled eggs for example, that leaves significant stickage in the pan, I like to keep the pan on the heat, or even increase it to get it really hot. Then put a little cold water in the pan to basically steam off the crud. Basically what they do to clean hibachi grills. For some reason, my wife hates when I do this, even though it gets off 90%+ of the stuff on there vs. having to let it soak or scrub it with dish soap. Tell me I'm right here.

When we cook stuff, scrambled eggs for example, that leaves significant stickage in the pan, I like to keep the pan on the heat, or even increase it to get it really hot. Then put a little cold water in the pan to basically steam off the crud. Basically what they do to clean hibachi grills. For some reason, my wife hates when I do this, even though it gets off 90%+ of the stuff on there vs. having to let it soak or scrub it with dish soap. Tell me I'm right here.

you're essentially deglazing the pan, which is a technique when making a pan sauce to use liquid to get the good crusty bits off the pan and into the sauce

Just get a non stick pan for eggs. Only use plastic or silicon utensils and don’t bang it around in the cabinet and it’ll last for a while.

Why would anyone hate filling the kitchen with burnt egg steam

that's what i do; if you're getting significant stickage the pan is too hot while cooking, you need more fat, or needs more deliberate seasoning (or reseasoning) or likely a combination of the three.

you shouldn't have to do more than blast it with hot water and maybe lightly scrub off. a little dish soap is fine. then throw it back on the cooktop to make sure it's totally dry.

I've been super happy with my carbon steel pan now that it's seasoned.

def do not do this with non-stick pans as it can warp the pan, depending on the quality/thickness of the pan itself.

if we're talking cast iron pans, it's a myth you can't use soap on them. if it's well-seasoned, it's not an issue.

My wife bought me a $30 non-stick pan two Christmases ago that I use for eggs and similar items and it’s Montez

We got a 2-pack of Calphalon nonsticks for our wedding over 8 years ago and they still work fine.

Yeah I’ve got a non stick for eggs & quick veggie sautées or fried rice but hardly use it otherwise.

Yeah, just get a couple of cheap pizzas or a pile of Chik-fil-A nuggets and let the kids go to town. There is no enjoyment in cooking hamburgers for kids who are going to eat two bites and throw them away.

Oh man that really grinded my gears. Half eaten food everywhere and half drank drinks too, I think the mom’s were just as a bad as the kids. Really turned me off from future married w/ kids cookouts.

If it was up to me all future events would be at bars and breweries

yeah, for a quick egg thing a cheap(ish) nonstick pan is fine; $30 range is right there.

i just don't like having to be precious with the pan while cooking. carbon steel is a little easier to use than cast iron and more versatile than a non-stick

We got a 2-pack of Calphalon nonsticks for our wedding over 8 years ago and they still work fine.

This is what we use. I do probably need to use more oil/butter for scrambled eggs though to prevent sticking. Never happens with fried eggs, veggies, etc.

Anyways, I'm glad my method is widely used/effective and my wife is wrong.

Worst part about living in a new apartment is I can't smoke the hell outta the place with butter/oil so I don't even bother cooking. I miss my old 1930's place where I could just take out the smoke detector

We had a Calphalon that lasted about 5 years, but replaced it with a Made-In non-stick and hoo boy definitely worth it so far (about 1 year into ownership now). Expensive AF but rock solid.

We also recently got an Always Our Place pan and it's fine, but completely overhyped. Needs lots of oil for things not to stick, and that point I'd rather be cooking directly on stainless steel or cast iron so if I need to I can scrub the shit out of it.

If they’re non stick pans how are you having such sticking issues? I’ve been using the same non stick pan for like 15 years for scrambled eggs. Are you cooking too hot?

If I had to cook for 30-40 people my only option would be to throw 3 or 4 pork shoulders on the smoker. Anything else would be more effort than I’d be willing to put forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back