• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still using Imperfect Foods for 90% of my grocery shopping

Augment with farmers market for bread and cheese and produce

Specialty stores for specialty stuff

Also been cutting costs quite a bit now paying for childcare so instead of ordering nice pizza 4x a month at like $50 a pop, getting it once a month and making our own or even frozen pizza from Safeway at 3/$10 has been the move to save > $100 a month lol.

We eat frozen pizza... a lot. I don't feel bad. A frozen pizza augmented with a hefty garden salad is a once a week meal.

@lcd - I kinda like going grocery shopping.

I do too. Tried the online thing once during the pandemic, and it was useless-Kroger was out of 1/3 of the things I need. I need to be able to walk around the store and adapt as necessary.

Had cable plus

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon prime
Hbo max
Paramount +
ESPN +
Peacock
NBA League Pass
MLB at bat

Then other app stuff like

MapMyRun
Spotify premium

And a CSA/farm share, wine club, baby toy service, dumb home warranty shit, so many nonsense one offs

We were like how will we possibly pay for childcare and then sorta looked at finances like well ok we can certainly trim some of the fat

Now I'm thinking about our streaming services...
I think we just pay for Netflix and Disney+ and Amazon Prime. We gave a friend some $ to have access to their Flo (sports) login for cycling stuff, and pay a-la-cart for Fubo if there's something specific sports-wise we want to see. We have Hulu 'free' from something else. I need to comb through subscriptions I pay for that I don't use. I'm pretty sure I pay for NYT and WaPo, but never read either. I just got fed up with hitting paywalls all the time when I did want to read an article and don't mind supporting journalism.

We're managing daycare expense just fine, but man. $1650/mo isn't nothing.

(oh and reading townies post - we also do the Lovevery toy subcription boxes, but I buy nothing else for LO (other than books) so I feel like that's not a "cost" as much as it's a wash in that department.)

Last edited:
Lovevery is great, my kid loves their stuff

Of course his favorite toy is still just an empty Tupperware but still

i wonder if eddie murphy laughed when cosby was busted.

Has anyone done up their mancave (or sheshed) all Deac'd out? I was on Fanatics and it got me thinking. You could really have a whole Demon Deacon room if you wanted to. Wife said no to this decor for the twins room, but I am curious otherwise.

We eat frozen pizza... a lot. I don't feel bad. A frozen pizza augmented with a hefty garden salad is a once a week meal.

Same here - Sunday Night Pizza Night at my house, except I make it. I've gotten pretty good with my pizza oven and making dough doesn't take much effort at all. Kids love it and it's been an easy way to start entertaining too.

Has anyone done up their mancave (or sheshed) all Deac'd out? I was on Fanatics and it got me thinking. You could really have a whole Demon Deacon room if you wanted to. Wife said no to this decor for the twins room, but I am curious otherwise.

Pretty cool site - had never heard of it before but they've got a ton of merch there. I might pick something up for my office, though to be honest I feel less and less connected to Wake with every passing year so I can't see myself getting more than 1 or 2 items at most.

We've been grilling a lot of pizzas lately, but I still use the fresh dough from whole foods rather than make my own. I need to find a dough recipe that I like that and that's not too much of a pain in the ass. It's cray how different a lot of recipes are.

Lovevery is great, my kid loves their stuff

Of course his favorite toy is still just an empty Tupperware but still

Yeah, little lady is a big fan, too. The only things we've encountered so far that didn't really suit her during the 'age range' of the box are the puzzles, specifically the puzzle of garden things. She could pretty immediately do all the latches on the latch box when it showed up, but even still that garden puzzle pisses her off.

Other great non-toy toys: a huge metal bowl (like a wok-sized bowl you'd use for food prep) that she could see her reflection in (this was especially great as she was learning to sit up, because she could also lean onto it and then use it like a bongo drum), three plastic Easter eggs that I filled with rice, coffee beans, and two pennies (respectively) and then taped closed with painters tape so she could grasp and shake them... and yeah, now she's all about the tupperware drawer and pouring things. I also got a bag of 300 pom poms that we keep in a basket and she LOVES them. Dumps them out, carries as many as she can in her hands, fills boxes and cups with them, calls out all the colors, we're starting to work on numbers with them... best $2 investment ever (once she was about 15mo old and done putting everything in her mouth).

We've been grilling a lot of pizzas lately, but I still use the fresh dough from whole foods rather than make my own. I need to find a dough recipe that I like that and that's not too much of a pain in the ass. It's cray how different a lot of recipes are.

No joke - taken me about a year to get my dough recipe dialed in, but I'm finally there. 58% hydration using Caputo 00 (Neapolitan style).

Ice cream lady brought in lemon blueberry today. Summer bod was in doubt after donuts last week but it is officially a no go after all this ice cream. She has single handily ruined that endeavor.

I'm also down with the Trader Joe's hate. Aside from the fact that we don't keep a lot of frozen food or snacks and vary rarely buy pre-made meals/foods, it's the absolute clusterfuck of people (pre-pandemic that is). The checkout line for the one that was by my old office would start at the entrance to the store and wrap around the entire place. Hard pass.

Same here - Sunday Night Pizza Night at my house, except I make it. I've gotten pretty good with my pizza oven and making dough doesn't take much effort at all. Kids love it and it's been an easy way to start entertaining too.

Yeah, my little bro has an uuni and is due with #1 any day now. I'm jealous that he's so down-pat with his pizza process that it will be easy for him to keep it up. I don't feel like I have the effort/energy to put towards learning that right now, though I have dreams that one day it could happen.

I like the idea of making it a Sunday Night Thing, and like you say - easy to entertain. I'd love to host more folks over, but my 'easy' meals always end up being more involved than I realize they're going to be. Pizza is definitely easy.

mom got us a Kitchen Helper for our son which he loves. we put him in there when cooking dinner/cleaning the kitchen and he enjoys watching us work. I babyproofed the kitchen cabinets recently but left one cabinet open for him and put a bunch of random crap in there like solo cups, tupperware, paper plates, some silicone measuring cups we never use, etc. it's right across from the fridge and we put some magnets down below he can play with.

I'm also down with the Trader Joe's hate. Aside from the fact that we don't keep a lot of frozen food or snacks and vary rarely buy pre-made meals/foods, it's the absolute clusterfuck of people (pre-pandemic that is). The checkout line for the one that was by my old office would start at the entrance to the store and wrap around the entire place. Hard pass.

The thing I love most about TJs is that I can get in and out in under 10 minutes so long as they havent changed up the location of one of the 10 specialty items I buy. Love the small footprint and how fast they checkout and bag. At Harris Teeter or Food Lion it often takes me as long to check out as it does to shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back