• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is true of every generation ever, but the things they have for kids these days, man...

For sure. That said, for our littlest we don't have much of the crazy stuff (beyond fancy stepstools?). Her actual toys she plays with are still the same old blocks, cars, balls, etc. Proud to say we have nothing that blinks/sings/flashes/is voice activated for her, and it is awesome to see her imagination starting to come alive.

What kills me, though: my 13yr old stepson has a computer, a switch, a raspberry pi, an adrino (?), a drone, a phone, and a half dozen nerf guns... but still has the fucking audacity to say he is BORED. Dude, you can literally program something to go to the moon with all that stuff and you are BORED? Go mow the grass.

man donald rumsfeld is NOT getting any kind of RIP treatment on twitter.

wouldn't be surprised if we have musical kids considering she's a music therapist and i play like 10 instruments

For sure. That said, for our littlest we don't have much of the crazy stuff (beyond fancy stepstools?). Her actual toys she plays with are still the same old blocks, cars, balls, etc. Proud to say we have nothing that blinks/sings/flashes/is voice activated for her, and it is awesome to see her imagination starting to come alive.

What kills me, though: my 13yr old stepson has a computer, a switch, a raspberry pi, an adrino (?), a drone, a phone, and a half dozen nerf guns... but still has the fucking audacity to say he is BORED. Dude, you can literally program something to go to the moon with all that stuff and you are BORED? Go mow the grass.

Get him a PS5.

Yeah, look all those houses ! Where are the kids supposed to play ?

Right? Pretty sure lots of neighborhoods are still just that. Neighborhoods. We are really, really fortunate to have moved onto a street where kids and families actually come outside/kids go knocking on doors to run around and find each other. We have another friend who would have to schedule playdates with their neighbors. Gross.

Diggler those ice cream sandwiches are seriously sofuckinggood

Get him a PS5.

Oh, he's working that angle hard both here and at his mom's. Given all other options available to him right now, homeboy has a lot of work to show in other areas before he gets another screen thing.
He'd zone out all day on the switch if we let him (fortnite and minecraft are still the games of choice); we still limit screen time for gaming. If he's doing programming stuff on the other things he has free access to that stuff.

See I'd just make my kid play strategy games like Zelda that gets their mind working. I don't think I'd allow Fortnite and call of duty and just wastes of time.

I have 0 work to do as our devs did a code review at the end of last sprint and decided they need to refactor everything so we’re doing no new shit for three weeks

So I watched Saint Maud and Under the Silver Lake today and went to like two meetings. I am like leeb’s teenage stepson, I am bored.

See I'd just make my kid play strategy games like Zelda that gets their mind working. I don't think I'd allow Fortnite and call of duty and just wastes of time.

I don't mind the minecraft as much, for that reason.
I don't game at all (my knowledge basically stops at PS2/Ratchet and Clank; any in-depth knowledge stopped at N64), so I don't know what games make the PS5 "worth it" other than those call of duty-type things, especially since he doesn't have discord or anything.

I don't mind the minecraft as much, for that reason.
I don't game at all (my knowledge basically stops at PS2/Ratchet and Clank; any in-depth knowledge stopped at N64), so I don't know what games make the PS5 "worth it" other than those call of duty-type things, especially since he doesn't have discord or anything.

There are very few exclusive new games for PS5 and Xbox, but from my understanding the difference is processing power (don't have to wait as long for load times, even with old games) and like a better picture/works better if you've got a newer TV w/ 4k and stuff. But I'm no expert. But if your stepson hasn't played the Zelda Breath of the wild, absolutely buy it for him on switch. Best game ever made.

I have 0 work to do as our devs did a code review at the end of last sprint and decided they need to refactor everything so we’re doing no new shit for three weeks

So I watched Saint Maud and Under the Silver Lake today and went to like two meetings. I am like leeb’s teenage stepson, I am bored.

Similarly, I'm having a (very) rare slow day right now as the systems I use have all be shut off for fiscal year end. Granted, my down-time is only for today. After 3 weeks I'd probably be bored, too, especially if there was some reason I still had to be at the computer. If I just had three weeks to go do whatever, I've got a list of house things to tackle.

I don't really have to be near the computer; typically I'd just go read or go exercise, but it's 97 and humid so I'm enjoying the AC.

Not actually bored, because I'm an adult and there's always something I should be doing.

There are very few exclusive new games for PS5 and Xbox, but from my understanding the difference is processing power (don't have to wait as long for load times, even with old games) and like a better picture/works better if you've got a newer TV w/ 4k and stuff. But I'm no expert. But if your stepson hasn't played the Zelda Breath of the wild, absolutely buy it for him on switch. Best game ever made.

So what I hear you saying is it would be an expensive system that adds no value to our current situation... and games are stupid expensive, too.

He's got Breath of the Wild and enjoys it... Still prefers minecraft and fortnite.

I had a very important call today that was stressing me out scheduled for 3 that just got pushed to tomorrow. So now it's board time.

Also had a call this morning about a potential 3rd side gig (4th overall job). Someone put us together since someone's looking for a part time CFO in Architecture (and I work for one of the most well known architects in town). But apparently just told the person I was an accountant without letting them know I had actual industry experience. Her face lit right up once I gave her my background.

Yeah, look all those houses ! Where are the kids supposed to play ?

Yeah but who wants to live in the burbs? Better planning & design can give you the best of both worlds. Prime example - Mueller in Austin.

Yeah, the idea of boredom is foreign to me at this point. I might be unmotivated and not doing much, but still have a racing mind. I never truly feel like there isn't actually anything to do.

I also heard something once that said, "Only boring people can be bored" and it's stuck with me. No matter where you are, there is SOMETHING you can do. If you can't find it, that's your own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back