• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and son have been at the beach since Saturday and are coming back today.

I don’t have much pressing going on but I’m trying to get ahead of everything since I’ll be out at some point next month with a newborn.

I made the mistake of living in Roanoke for a short time. My typical Saturday circuit consisted of the farmer's market (actually a nice farmer's market), fresh market, ukrops, and kroger to get all I needed.

Now it is just H-E-B weekly and a few trips a month to the small Whole Foods that is never crowded.

Luckily I enjoy grocery shopping because whenever I have tried one of those services the results have been terrible.

Last edited:
I’ve used grocery pickup quite a bit since pandemic, once you kind of learn their limitations it’s not too bad to plan accordingly. But yeah I like grocery shopping too so it’s been nice to get back to it.

I made the mistake of living in Roanoke for a short time. My typical Saturday circuit consisted of the farmer's market (actually a nice farmer's market), fresh market, ukrops, and kroger to get all I needed.
Now it is just H-E-B weekly and a few trips a month to the small Whole Foods that is never crowded.

Luckily I enjoy grocery shopping because whenever I have tried one of those services the results have been terrible.

I lived in Roanoke for a year whien Harris Teeter still existed there. They left that market around 1999. Looks like Ukrops only lasted from 2005 to 2009.

I don't mind grocery shopping, but use the online Harris Teeter pickup when I'm rolling into the beach and don't want to spend another 45-60 minutes grocery shopping after driving for 3.5 hours.

Had cable plus

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon prime
Hbo max
Paramount +
ESPN +
Peacock
NBA League Pass
MLB at bat

Then other app stuff like

MapMyRun
Spotify premium

And a CSA/farm share, wine club, baby toy service, dumb home warranty shit, so many nonsense one offs

Jesus. You have all this TV and you still have time to read 4 Steven King books a week?

For sure. That said, for our littlest we don't have much of the crazy stuff (beyond fancy stepstools?). Her actual toys she plays with are still the same old blocks, cars, balls, etc. Proud to say we have nothing that blinks/sings/flashes/is voice activated for her, and it is awesome to see her imagination starting to come alive.

What kills me, though: my 13yr old stepson has a computer, a switch, a raspberry pi, an adrino (?), a drone, a phone, and a half dozen nerf guns... but still has the fucking audacity to say he is BORED. Dude, you can literally program something to go to the moon with all that stuff and you are BORED? Go mow the grass.

we weren't allowed to have video games growing up

hated it at the time, but glad of it now

I guess I still had computer games like NBA Live 98 and Triple Play 2000 and Oregon Trail though

Jesus. You have all this TV and you still have time to read 4 Steven King books a week?

well that's the thing we weren't really using it all that much, especially since having a bb

i watched every sixers and everton game and maybe an hour of tv a night, and typically when i watch sports my wife watches tv of some kind

that's part of the reason i don't like subscription services - i go through periods where i don't watch anything really and it's still charging me

I just discovered I can watch live tv via an internet browser with a spectrum account.

At least at home...not sure it'll work if I'm not using their Internet service...?

we weren't allowed to have video games growing up

hated it at the time, but glad of it now

I guess I still had computer games like NBA Live 98 and Triple Play 2000 and Oregon Trail though

We had all the nintendo consoles and gameboys, but mom still had the ultimate power to walk into the room, flip it off, and send us outside. I don't remember really balking at that, because there was PLENTY to do outside, too. We just got busy. I was reminiscing last night about these crazy croquet "courses" we would set up around the yard. That was a whole thing one year, we even designed characters to match the colors and drew course maps for the yard. I don't think my stepkids could even conceive of doing something like that with the wickets, let alone to that level of involvement with all the rest of it. I feel like their whole lives have been curated for them or just presented as ready-made items. They don't create, they just complete the instructions in the box of 'DIY yarn animals' or whatever. You know? It feels like they just wait around for someone/something to tell them what's next. My 10yr old stepdaughter is less so like this; she's more apt to get busy on something... but she also loses interest incredibly quickly. I can't think of any kind of project she's worked on for an extended period of time, or built onto over time.
It kind of makes me sad for them, and I'm trying to edge and encourage our littlest/my daughter towards more self-driven creativity so she builds up that MacGyver spirit.

I just discovered I can watch live tv via an internet browser with a spectrum account.

At least at home...not sure it'll work if I'm not using their Internet service...?

It does! Can also use your tv account login to use apps like ESPN, Bally Sports, etc.

Yep..I've done that with variable success for a good while. If I'm traveling, the apps haven't always worked as consistently as when at home.

If they've got it going now regardless of the internet service you're on at the moment...sweet.

We usually take a break from Netflix for a few months a year. We usually pick up a trial of Hulu in that period. I actually find I have things to watch if I take breaks. Somehow we have Netflix and Hulu now and other than a random documentary I have not used them for months. I need to get rid of one. I do not feel as bad seeing how many services others have. My MLB TV is free with T-Mobile and we do have Amazon Prime.

I think I will give this Imperfect Produce a try for produce only delivery.

Ahh...

Note: Some channels may not be available when you use the Spectrum TV app outside of your home.

Oh well. Seems like it's getting better...

Making a road trip to Louisiana in a couple of weeks. Looks like a night on either end in the Birmingham Alabama area.

On the way there have a hotel downtown and a reservation at a restaurant called automatic seafood that looked good. Haven't booked hotel for the return trip.

Anyone have advice on a night in Birmingham or somewhere in that general area? Birmingham is roughly the mid point for us.

Ahh...

Oh well. Seems like it's getting better...

For the most part, I’ve found that the channels that aren’t available through the spectrum app generally have their own app you can stream from. At least the channels that I watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back