• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes...

I've specifically found the ESPN app to not work in a few airports in the past.

The browser access I'll have to try when away.

Doesn’t Imperfect Produce and the like just take an ugly tomato that would normally go in salsa or ketchup and sell to a well-meaning person for a few cents more? Is it solving any problem? Seems like another way to disrupt a market.

Birmingham is low key cool, like Greenville SC or Chattanooga. I think highland grill (if that’s still the name) is good.

Doesn’t Imperfect Produce and the like just take an ugly tomato that would normally go in salsa or ketchup and sell to a well-meaning person for a few cents more? Is it solving any problem? Seems like another way to disrupt a market.

I presume they are paying the producer of the defective tomato more than they were getting, so I don’t care if BIG SALSA sees profit erosion.

But doesn't it ultimately generate food waste in the grocery store then, as folks are getting supplied elsewhere? I guess that's on them to be nimble-enough to adjust how much they order to meet demand, but still. It does kind of feel like it's just creating a different way of getting the 'same' thing, potentially resulting in the same problem elsewhere.

Bah humbug.

I think it’s more complicated than that

I read this piece when it came out https://newrepublic.com/article/152596/hungry-harvest-box-ugly-produce-help-planet-or-hurt-it

Imperfect claim that 10-15% of their food was not destined for a landfill, and the rest was going to otherwise be wasted.

I’ll concede I wish all the overproduction would get donated to those who need it. I don’t think we should commodify overproduction in any way. I do think Imperfect has done a good job of taking stuff that would otherwise not be sold for really dumb reasons more than blemishes and imperfections in produce, like mislabeling or manufacturing/processing mistakes. The VC side of it certainly isn’t great, and I’d prefer of course that I could sustain my household entirely on locally grown foods, but I think on balance it’s more good than bad and not perpetuating waste problems but calling attention to them.

I think regardless of your political bent we can agree the govt doesn’t exactly do right by farmers with either subsidy or paying farmers not to farm or to burn their product or any number of insane things they’ve done to force the move to factory farming either. It’s a complicated supply chain problem.

How are y’all’s farmers markets & the pricing at them? My local one is small and is much more expensive than stores, like $8 for a pint of berries. There are some that are not far from me that are better but are still a little pricey. I’d love to be at a point financially where I can afford to get the majority of my food from local producers but that’s not happening now.

I’m going to start locally sourcing venison with a goddamn hatchet if they don’t stop fucking up all the veggies in my garden

Chat Thread CCXLIV: HOT DEAC SUMMER

I presume they are paying the producer of the defective tomato more than they were getting, so I don’t care if BIG SALSA sees profit erosion.

I presume they’re paying the same as BIG SALSA pays but charges more within a price fixed subscription model potentially leading to more overproduction to meet this new demand.

Worst case scenario, they drive up demand for misshapen veggies. “We need more carrots that look like three dicks!”

The Veggie Tales generation grew up feeling sorry for “ugly” vegetables.

Last edited:
So if I like the way Sam Hartman uses his NIL on a Saturday afternoon this fall, can I just Venmo him $100 ?

How are y’all’s farmers markets & the pricing at them? My local one is small and is much more expensive than stores, like $8 for a pint of berries. There are some that are not far from me that are better but are still a little pricey. I’d love to be at a point financially where I can afford to get the majority of my food from local producers but that’s not happening now.

i mean, have you ever tried to grow vegetables let alone berries? you put in like $200 of materials/seeds/etc and get like 10 cucumbers

i mean, have you ever tried to grow vegetables let alone berries? you put in like $200 of materials/seeds/etc and get like 10 cucumbers

Scale is a bfd in farming. It's a huge reason that the super-ag companies are doing so damn well.

Yeah, we can't afford to develop our own crop of RoundUp Ready Soybeans.

I am not impressed by the produce available at Austin area farmers markets. There’s plenty of non-produce options that I enjoy.

When I was in Roanoke I was impressed by the produce. I am not sure it was even more expensive than a grocery store. For example, I would get heirloom tomatoes at the farmers market. If I could even find an heirloom tomato in the grocery store it would cost more at the grocery store. Sure I could find a cheaper tomato at the grocery store, but it was not one I would buy. I’d just not get any fresh tomatoes.

If I needed some carrots as a small part of a larger recipe I would get those at the grocery store if they cost twice as much at the farmers market and I was going to the grocery store anyway. I remember items like beans and bell peppers being competitively priced at the farmers market.

great moments in music

2:37 in The Only Thing
8:21 in Siberian Breaks
3:30 in The Glow, Pt. 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back