• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
talk about mail it in day, man, i had a single double-negroni last night and i'm feeling like garbage today. usually that is not a problem.

anyone watch the Top Chef finale?

this whole season has seemed like Shota's to lose, so was a little surprised that he stumbled just a bit. I turned to my wife once the meal was over and said Gabe won. I liked Dawn but I feel like it would've been unfair if she won despite once again (even with help!) running out of time on plating.

I’m way behind on Top Chef and am confident Twitter will ruin it for me.

Biggest spoiler of all time for me was recording Sons of Anarchy waking up at 7am to watch it and seeing on Facebook one of my cousins saying “NOT OPE!!!”

*this was nearly a decade ago so I’m not apologizing for the spoiler. Also, Bruce Willis was dead the whole time in the Sixth Sense.

BHI is definitely not trying to be Hilton Head etc. with re: to being fancy. Its all about relaxing on turtle time. The island has also been hit super hard the last few hurricane seasons and the transportation/logistics problems have limited the supply of contractors to rebuild/fix issues (on top of all the other construction supply issues), so if there are still a lot of incomplete-ish homes that is why.

I would assume the largest maritime forest in NC would holds all kinds of great bird life.

I came out here about 20 years ago for a community Ecology class in grad school. We bunked at the BHI conservancy and got a tour of the Maritime forest. I had the impression this place was quite, secluded, peaceful, and under populated. Now it seems to be over run with entitled people and teenagers driving golf carts way to fast blasting shitty music from their Bluetooth speakers. The guy berating the ice cream stand employees seems about right.

I’m way behind on Top Chef and am confident Twitter will ruin it for me.

Biggest spoiler of all time for me was recording Sons of Anarchy waking up at 7am to watch it and seeing on Facebook one of my cousins saying “NOT OPE!!!”

*this was nearly a decade ago so I’m not apologizing for the spoiler. Also, Bruce Willis was dead the whole time in the Sixth Sense.

I think biggest for me, if you can call something telegraphed, is seeing my wife bawling her eyes out right before Han Solo was killed in EP 7. she looked it up before hand because she wanted to be able to prepare herself.

Anyone used Apple Quick Start to migrate photos/data from an old device to a new one? Did it work as well as advertised?

I came out here about 20 years ago for a community Ecology class in grad school. We bunked at the BHI conservancy and got a tour of the Maritime forest. I had the impression this place was quite, secluded, peaceful, and under populated. Now it seems to be over run with entitled people and teenagers driving golf carts way to fast blasting shitty music from their Bluetooth speakers. The guy berating the ice cream stand employees seems about right.

the fucking golf carts at the beach has gotten out of hand. down on 30-A there are millions of them, and if on the main roads they are supposed to be driven only by licensed drivers and treated as cars (no open container, seatbelts, etc), but no one cares. and then through the side streets where it's more open you have kids fucking blazing past stop signs blasting their shitty music.

Also, my 11 year old niece seems to be turning into one of those people that will be berating ice cream stand workers for no reason in a few years and that bums me out.

this condo collapse in miami is a useful metaphor for the climate change debate. some experts say there are real problems and we need to act immediately. Others say everything is fine. The people who have to pay the cost to avert the disaster say it's too expensive, and they aren't really convinced there's a problem. After all, with a few exceptions, everything seems to work the same as it always has, and we need to take time to figure out the cheapest way to fix the issue that we're not even really convinced exists.

that's a little heavy for turtle time. sorry about that.

I think everyone knew there was a problem and that it would get worse. Their denial came in when they saw what it would cost to address the problem. Once the problems started to accelerate over the past six months, they started to accept that they would have to pay up. Ultimately, the same individuals who dragged their feet for a couple of years are the same ones who died.

If I get shot with a metal bullet, I guess I should get a tetanus booster.

I think everyone knew there was a problem and that it would get worse. Their denial came in when they saw what it would cost to address the problem. Once the problems started to accelerate over the past six months, they started to accept that they would have to pay up. Ultimately, the same individuals who dragged their feet for a couple of years are the same ones who died.

Plus the rest of the people in the building who didn’t die.

There was an inspector who told them the building was in great shape

Or were you just advancing the metaphor? If so very well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back