• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

If she comes back and competes in the individual events later in the week, then that is going to create some discussion and that is the nice way to put that. You can almost feel that comeback story in the air.

Biles dropped out of the team competition today. The individual competition is set for Thursday. If Biles participates, is it fair to say that individual accomplishments mean more to her than team accomplishments?

Also, while it seems like the trend is toward a gender-blind society, does seem like public sentiment is more willing to accept Biles' decision to quit than if a prominent male athlete did the same.

Biles dropped out of the team competition today. The individual competition is set for Thursday. If Biles participates, is it fair to say that individual accomplishments mean more to her than team accomplishments?

Also, while it seems like the trend is toward a gender-blind society, does seem like public sentiment is more willing to accept Biles' decision to quit than if a prominent male athlete did the same.

People would be blasting Megan Rapinoe if she pulled herself out of a medal game and told her teammates to pick up the slack.

College athletes no longer “transfer” anymore either. They “enter the transfer portal” now. The language shift is intentional and purposeful.

Well, you know there wasn't a transfer portal before, right ? It's only been around for less than three years.

Ph, have you ever seen a PhD candidate quit in the middle of a dissertation defense ? If they did, how much effort would you put into making excuses for them ?

And anyone who has ever served in the military has done more for this country than Simone Biles.

Last edited:
Ph, have you ever seen a PhD candidate quit in the middle of a dissertation defense ? If they did, how much effort would you put into making excuses for them ?

And anyone who has ever served in the military has done more for this country than Simone Biles.

LOL. She earned her “PhD” years ago.

I won’t even dignify the bootlicking. Holy shit.

Last edited:
Better analogy would be a tenured, established faculty member missing his student's PhD defense.

I've seen that happen several times and I haven't forgiven them for it.

Remember when Michael Jordan quit halfway through the NBA Finals ? Yeah me neither.

You don’t remember when he retired out of the blue to deal with the trauma of his father’s death. He probably cost his teammates two championships.

Simone Biles doesn’t owe you anything.

Biles has to do what’s best for her own health, but today’s withdrawal will certainly impact any discussion about her legacy and “greatness”

I knew something was up when she fell off the beam at the Olympic trials.

Her body (and mind) might be saying "I'm done" when she only needs 2 more weeks of peak performance.

“Train for 5 years”

Dude, she’s the GOAT because she’s won every possible gold medal in every gymnastics competition over the last 5 years.

She’s been going nonstop for years even after getting molested by the Olympic team’s chosen doctor, Larry Nassar. She’s done way more for this country than you, Biff, or any other shitty entitled dude who has never had to work as hard as Biles. Y’all are the best investment lawyers or insurance agents in your cubicle pod much less the best in the world.

Wow, way to make it personal.

You don’t remember when he retired out of the blue to deal with the trauma of his father’s death. He probably cost his teammates two championships.

Right, she doesn't owe us anything, her teammates though is a different story. I hope she had some reason of pulling out of the team competition other than she just didn't feel like it.

Not the same thing. MJ didn’t quit in the middle of the finals.

If she is going to compete in the Olympics as an American in team events she owes it to her teammates to show up for the competition.

"This Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. But I was still doing it for other people. It hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people."

Seems to say it all.

Remember the time that insurance agent quit in the middle of a big presentation ?

THAT INSURANCE AGENT DOESN’T OWE YOU ANYTHING !!!!

Last edited:
"This Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. But I was still doing it for other people. It hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people."

Seems to say it all.

Yeah, I'm sure she probably has been doing it for other people and that's the wrong reason. The only problem I have is figuring that out during the team finals when her teammates are depending on her. If her heart wasn't in it, I wish she had decided that before the Trials so somebody like McKayla Skinner could've made the squad to compete in the team competition. Biles didn't have anything else to prove, that's for sure.

I mean if she felt like she wasn't able to perform at her normal level, whatever the reason, isn't it better that she drop out and let someone else who gives the team a better shot?

I mean if she felt like she wasn't able to perform at her normal level, whatever the reason, isn't it better that she drop out and let someone else who gives the team a better shot?

Yeah, but the way they score with the difficulty level, her "bad" scores are better than most of the others good scores. I don't know, I mean I can't relate to the stress and commitment it takes to be that level of athlete, but dropping out at that point for a non-physical injury?

Back