• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

BTW, watching Rugby right now and those guys about have to almost be dragged off unconscious not to play.

221308449_3026933234253015_4518833745720063016_n.jpg

Simon biles doesn’t owe us anything but she sure as hell owes her teammates. That is what everybody is so stunned about. And like someone mentioned, some elite gymnast is sitting at home that would have loved to have just one chance to get on the mat at the Olympics.

How many of you know what it is to deal with trauma?

How many of you know what it’s like to deal with trauma in an incredibly public setting?

How many of you know what it’s like to deal with trauma in a public setting while per framing at the absolute top of your profession and setting new standards for excellence?

Don’t you dare call this woman weak.

bump.

Also, while it seems like the trend is toward a gender-blind society, does seem like public sentiment is more willing to accept Biles' decision to quit than if a prominent male athlete did the same.

Uggghhhh.

There were a lot of people supportive of Kaaron Rodgers' reported decision to quit on his team, and the reported reasons were far less compelling than trauma/mental health issues. I would have been more supportive of Kaaron if he decided not to play right before a game because he mentally could not perform versus him deciding to leave because he feels emasculated by Jake Kumerow being cut.

Anyway, he didn't quit yet, but he's still a bitch.

Aaron Rodgers did have defenders, but also, has plenty, if not a majority, that love to make fun/critique his act.

FWIW, Rodgers pulled his drama-queen act in the off-season. Now, if he walks off the field at the start of game or even more apropos, after the first snap of the Super Bowl, I see the comparison. I can't name another gymnast on Team USA, but I'm guessing with the 5 year gap since the 2016 games, Tokyo was the one and only shot for some if not all of Biles teammates to win an Olympic Gold, and she essentially walked out after the first snap, and the team finished second without their best teammate. Sorry, but if at least questioning the timing of that decision is now off-limits, not sure how any athlete can ever be questioned.

Yeah, but the way they score with the difficulty level, her "bad" scores are better than most of the others good scores. I don't know, I mean I can't relate to the stress and commitment it takes to be that level of athlete, but dropping out at that point for a non-physical injury?

In theory yes, but not the case in actuality. If she is off her game she will drop some of her skills in the middle of her routine and lower the starting value anyway, or she will make mistakes like going out of bounds on a tumbling pass which will lead to deductions that will negate her difficulty advantage. A clean difficult routine will score higher than a poor difficult routine. The thing with Biles is that she regularly nails the difficult routines. That's why she is the GOAT. However, she did not perform great in the team qualifying or in today's warm ups or vault. Gymnastics is so much mental; lots of yips. If she is off her game mentally then she will be off physically.

It will be interesting to hear from the teammates down the road.

Well, seems like there are plenty, plenty of people shitting on her, so not sure where this is coming from, Pilch.

I have no doubt Fox News, OANN, Newsmax, Daily Caller, Breitbart, etc., will all have a field day with this, so you can find your compadres there.

Last edited:
In theory yes, but not the case in actuality. If she is off her game she will drop some of her skills in the middle of her routine and lower the starting value anyway, or she will make mistakes like going out of bounds on a tumbling pass which will lead to deductions that will negate her difficulty advantage. A clean difficult routine will score higher than a poor difficult routine. The thing with Biles is that she regularly nails the difficult routines. That's why she is the GOAT. However, she did not perform great in the team qualifying or in today's warm ups or vault. Gymnastics is so much mental; lots of yips. If she is off her game mentally then she will be off physically.

It will be interesting to hear from the teammates down the road.

She was off in the Trials a few weeks ago too. Just such a strange time to pull herself out.

She has a narcissistic personality disorder, similar to Trump.

She was off in the Trials a few weeks ago too. Just such a strange time to pull herself out.

I am just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me that if this were the world championships and not the Olympics, then she would have opted out way earlier. The pressure to compete at all was insanely high since she is the reason why many are watching the Olympics at all. She has pretty much been the face of USA gymnastics for the past year or more.

You don’t remember when he retired out of the blue to deal with the trauma of his father’s death. He probably cost his teammates two championships.

Simone Biles doesn’t owe you anything.

Yeah... AFTER the season lol.

Well, seems like there are plenty, plenty of people shitting on her, so not sure where this is coming from, Pilch.

I have no doubt Fox News, OANN, Newsmax, Daily Caller, Breitbart, etc., will all have a field day with this, so you can find your compadres there.

Whatever. Seems like they are two ways to defend Biles:

- No athlete should ever be questioned for quitting regardless of circumstance because it's impossible to empathize/understand their situation;
- Athletes can be questioned, but Biles is the exception because she was suffered abuse in her past.

To me, this is a sports board. The entire point is to express our thoughts/opinions about sports (or politics). Biles is a public figure. When she makes news like every other public figure, its fair to comment upon it.

Whatever. Seems like they are two ways to defend Biles:

- No athlete should ever be questioned for quitting regardless of circumstance because it's impossible to empathize/understand their situation;
- Athletes can be questioned, but Biles is the exception because she was suffered abuse in her past.

To me, this is a sports board. The entire point is to express our thoughts/opinions about sports (or politics). Biles is a public figure. When she makes news like every other public figure, its fair to comment upon it.

You're expressing your thoughts and other people are expressing theirs in disagreement. Not sure what the issue is.

Why don't you let her teammates decide how they feel about Biles dropping out?

her teammates trained most of their lives and probably gave up their childhood for the opportunity to win a gold medal at the Olympics and not only did Biles dramatically hurt their chances for that but the only thing people are going to talk about or remember from this Women's team is Biles quitting. i'm sure they will say all the right things on camera and on social media, but more than likely they are like "What the fuck?" behind closed doors.

her teammates trained most of their lives and probably gave up their childhood for the opportunity to win a gold medal at the Olympics and not only did Biles dramatically hurt their chances for that but the only thing people are going to talk about or remember from this Women's team is Biles quitting. i'm sure they will say all the right things on camera and on social media, but more than likely they are like "What the fuck?" behind closed doors.

Ok. That's how you would feel.

Back