• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

She cracked under pressure. That happens but it has to effect her legacy. CP3 took a dump in game 4 of the finals, it will effect his legacy and will now probably retire, along with Barkley, as the two best players never to win a title. She may still be the best female gymnast of all times, but she lowered the bar to pass her today.

If I'm her teammate, I'm certainly pissed. They could have won gold without her. She doesn't owe any of us a thing, but her brand is going to take a hit after today and she's going to see endorsements fade. Dan and Dave didn't owe any of us a thing, but they're a dumb footnote in history but Caitlyn Jenner is running for governor.

Uggghhhh.

There were a lot of people supportive of Kaaron Rodgers' reported decision to quit on his team, and the reported reasons were far less compelling than trauma/mental health issues. I would have been more supportive of Kaaron if he decided not to play right before a game because he mentally could not perform versus him deciding to leave because he feels emasculated by Jake Kumerow being cut.

Anyway, he didn't quit yet, but he's still a bitch.

“still a bitch”

Dude, Kaaron’s a Packers legend because Kaaron’s won Green Bay a Lombardi trophy.

Kaaron’s been going nonstop for years even after being underappreciated by the fans and front office. Kaaron’s done way more for Wisconsin than you, Shoo, or any other shitty entitled dude who has never had to work as hard as Kaaron. Y’all are the best investment lawyers or insurance agents in your cubicle pod much less the best in the world.

her teammates trained most of their lives and probably gave up their childhood for the opportunity to win a gold medal at the Olympics and not only did Biles dramatically hurt their chances for that but the only thing people are going to talk about or remember from this Women's team is Biles quitting. i'm sure they will say all the right things on camera and on social media, but more than likely they are like "What the fuck?" behind closed doors.

It appears she not only downgraded the difficulty of the vault she was going to do, but downgraded the difficulty again during the vault itself, do 1 1/2 flips or whatever compared to 2 1/2. So, if she really felt her performance from there on would hurt her team and their chances were better without her, then that's one thing. However, for her to fell that way in lieu of an actual injury is hard to understand. It's not like a banged up football player starting the game and then realizing after a few snaps that they're at 70 percent and the backup's 100 percent is better then their 70 percent and they take themselves out for the sake of the team. Again, if she truly felt that way, then I guess she did the right thing, but for it to not be because of a physical injury is harder to understand.

The only comparable I can think of right off is when Scottie Pippen took himself out of a playoff game with a few seconds left. Pippen got excoriated for that and despite 6 NBA rings, that moment is still a part of his legacy.

“still a bitch”

Dude, Kaaron’s a Packers legend because Kaaron’s won Green Bay a Lombardi trophy.

Kaaron’s been going nonstop for years even after being underappreciated by the fans and front office. Kaaron’s done way more for Wisconsin than you, Shoo, or any other shitty entitled dude who has never had to work as hard as Kaaron. Y’all are the best investment lawyers or insurance agents in your cubicle pod much less the best in the world.

LOL

The only comparable I can think of right off is when Scottie Pippen took himself out of a playoff game with a few seconds left. Pippen got excoriated for that and despite 6 NBA rings, that moment is still a part of his legacy.

Yeah, but Pippen didn't walk around having people believe he was the GOAT and certainly didn't wear clothing proclaiming as such. Dude just had a chip on his shoulder (which has gotten larger since retirement).

Let me know when Messi or Ronaldo half-asses it through the first 20 minutes of a World Cup final and then pulls himself out of the match.

Last edited:
She cracked under pressure. That happens but it has to effect her legacy. CP3 took a dump in game 4 of the finals, it will effect his legacy and will now probably retire, along with Barkley, as the two best players never to win a title. She may still be the best female gymnast of all times, but she lowered the bar to pass her today.

If I'm her teammate, I'm certainly pissed. They could have won gold without her. She doesn't owe any of us a thing, but her brand is going to take a hit after today and she's going to see endorsements fade. Dan and Dave didn't owe any of us a thing, but they're a dumb footnote in history but Caitlyn Jenner is running for governor.

Could go from Olympic gold medal winner in an exclusively male event, to the potentially the first female governor of California, only in America!

I can't imagine what it would be like to be the face of an organization that is supposed to represent the best of a nation yet also having to hide that the organization did terrible harm to myself and others. The timing is bad from a competitive standpoint, but this should not reflect on Biles as a competitor or a person. Mental distress is unpredictable, but can be debilitating. A lot of people are saying "yeah, but the best don't quit when they have a bad day." I think there are very few situations where the best have been assaulted by members of the organization, former or not.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be the face of an organization that is supposed to represent the best of a nation yet also having to hide that the organization did terrible harm to myself and others. The timing is bad from a competitive standpoint, but this should not reflect on Biles as a competitor or a person. Mental distress is unpredictable, but can be debilitating. A lot of people are saying "yeah, but the best don't quit when they have a bad day." I think there are very few situations where the best have been assaulted by members of the organization, former or not.

In fairness, competitors at some point lose their nerve. When I was a kid I was a Richard Petty fan, not much of a NASCAR fan anymore, and he was at the tail end of his career and qualified on the outside pole for the July Daytona race. The race started and he ran a few laps up front and then he just faded toward the back. He basically admitted after the race he didn't have the nerve to run up front anymore.

Also, while it seems like the trend is toward a gender-blind society, it does seem like people are describing Aaron Rodgers using derogatory feminine terms like “Kaaron” and “drama queen.”

Yeah, but the way they score with the difficulty level, her "bad" scores are better than most of the others good scores. I don't know, I mean I can't relate to the stress and commitment it takes to be that level of athlete, but dropping out at that point for a non-physical injury?

I feel the need to correct the fallacy that mental injury is some how less valid than physical injury. Mental injuries can actually be far worse than physical, just a detrimental to performance and more dangerous the individual as a whole than a sprained ankle.

In fairness, competitors at some point lose their nerve. When I was a kid I was a Richard Petty fan, not much of a NASCAR fan anymore, and he was at the tail end of his career and qualified on the outside pole for the July Daytona race. The race started and he ran a few laps up front and then he just faded toward the back. He basically admitted after the race he didn't have the nerve to run up front anymore.

Yeah, but at what point had Petty been assaulted by his crew chief?

Yeah, the Jordan comparison is a weak analogy because Jordan hadn't been molested by the Bull's team doctor who had also been molesting other Bulls players for decades and the Bulls organization had covered up the evidence and then they kept asking Jordan to keep leading the Bulls to championship after championship.

I don't remember what Aaron Rogers situation was, but I doubt the team Dr molested him, and so on.

I hope Simone is ok and that she is able to recovery.

Another thing too is the American gymnastics program is still in the process of ridding itself of the effects of the Karolyi's and Nassar. I read Dominique Moceanu's book and Bella Karolyi and his wife are awful people.

Obviously I was not comparing what Biles went through with the abuse by that scum, just that great athletes especially in dangerous sports eventually lose their nerve. No idea if that's what's happened to Biles or not, it's possible though.

Another thing too is the American gymnastics program is still in the process of ridding itself of the effects of the Karolyi's and Nassar. I read Dominique Moceanu's book and Bella Karolyi and his wife are awful people.

I didn't read that but saw the Athlete A documentary. Seemed that Nasser was 1 of the few who was nice to the girls, and he sexually abused them. Everyone involved was infuriating and evil. USA gymnastics needed blowing up, and I have no idea whether they've gotten rid of everyone they should have. But I tend to doubt it.

Reading this thread is kind of pissing me off. People have seriously misinformed concepts of mental health.

Reading this thread is kind of pissing me off. People have seriously misinformed concepts of mental health.

Don't let a message board piss you off. Societies evolve and change, and we're living in a more sensitive day than when I was younger. It could be a function of who is older among us because back then we sucked it up and didn't talk about it, which wasn't necessarily the healthiest thing. I'm much more concerned whether we're residing in a functioning democratic republic in a few years than I am by what is said here.

Don't let a message board piss you off. Societies evolve and change, and we're living in a more sensitive day than when I was younger. It could be a function of who is older among us because back then we sucked it up and didn't talk about it, which wasn't necessarily the healthiest thing. I'm much more concerned whether we're residing in a functioning democratic republic in a few years than I am by what is said here.

Fair point.

Why don't you let her teammates decide how they feel about Biles dropping out?

Lol, I am sure a group of teenage girls took this as gracefully as possible, and there is no bad blood or drama going on behind the scenes. That’s just how teenage girls operate.

Back