• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

TK what do you do?

perpetual Biff owner (see: sheep, chat threads, posts from, etc.)

only thing he has on me is post count and feet pics but tbh that's okay with me

but this thread isn't about me it's apparently about being mad with simone biles because people are unable to comprehend that there's a human being behind the athlete façade

Pretty strong correlation between people who underachieved coming out of wake and those who feel the need to be politically correct on a message board too

The takes on this thread were perfect. Everyone remembered their lines for their roles in the school play. Good job, everyone.
Let's keep this energy for tomorrow night's show.

what's the point of studying communication if you don't learn that people read sports messageboards for entertainment, not sermons?

i mean i pointed out that ppl were trolling not sure what your point is

No idea what happened with Biles today and not going to downplay the serious of mental trauma / exhaustion...

However, there is a non-insignificant part of being an elite-level athlete that comes from mental toughness & discipline. It's not just physical tools. Clearly, Biles has had both for most of her gymnastics career. She did not today, for whatever reason. I hope she is OK.

If her teammates & coaches are OK with what happened, it is tough for me to criticize. But it also has to tarnish her legacy somewhat because she failed on the biggest stage. Maybe that's not fair, but the whole point of the Olympics is for these athletes to compete at the highest level and see how they stack up against the world's best.

I'm not mad at her... That would be silly.

I'm sure we'll hear a LOT more about this once the Olympics are in the rear view. Interested to hear the whole story, beyond just the post-event press conference.

I don’t get it. If she snapped her Achilles on a vault landing and had to withdraw no one would be questioning her legacy or toughness or calling it failure on the biggest stage. What’s the difference with an emotional injury, especially one that came at the hands of the organization she is currently representing. Her brain is hurting and she can’t compete. I personally think it’s courageous of her to withdraw instead of trying to play through an injury and repeatedly screwing up on the court/field/arena thus costing the medal. They were “losing” already when she withdrew and had little chance to catch up to the Russians anyway.

I don’t get it. If she snapped her Achilles on a vault landing and had to withdraw no one would be questioning her legacy or toughness or calling it failure on the biggest stage. What’s the difference with an emotional injury, especially one that came at the hands of the organization she is currently representing. Her brain is hurting and she can’t compete. I personally think it’s courageous of her to withdraw instead of trying to play through an injury and repeatedly screwing up on the court/field/arena thus costing the medal. They were “losing” already when she withdrew and had little chance to catch up to the Russians anyway.

I don't think you're giving her enough credit. If she was mentally exhausted, that didn't start last night before she went to bed. If this was a (very merited) cry for help/call for attention, it couldn't have been more flawlessly executed. At no point in this entire process did she have more leverage than when she punted. If she had gutted it out, she would have likely felt that she was covering the flaws of a broken organization. If there was a better way to throw the penalty flag on the system, I couldn't think of it. I believe she believes she is serving a higher calling than a third consecutive gold medal.

Pretty strong correlation between people who underachieved coming out of wake and those who feel the need to be politically correct on a message board too

Says the white male who wouldn’t be allowed to vote if it was 17 fucking 96

The land owners are talking

I don't think you're giving her enough credit. If she was mentally exhausted, that didn't start last night before she went to bed. If this was a (very merited) cry for help/call for attention, it couldn't have been more flawlessly executed. At no point in this entire process did she have more leverage than when she punted. If she had gutted it out, she would have likely felt that she was covering the flaws of a broken organization. If there was a better way to throw the penalty flag on the system, I couldn't think of it. I believe she believes she is serving a higher calling than a third consecutive gold medal.

This is a pretty reasonable hypothesis, I think.

This is a pretty reasonable hypothesis, I think.

Did she disappoint her teammates? Of course she did, in the moment. Be serious. They wanted to win the gold medal.

But not calling attention to a system that exploits people likes her in the future is arguably a far greater "disappointment." If that's what happened, bully for you, young lady.

Let me add that while in Simone’s case it is a reasonable hypothesis, it is still shitty to assert that physical injuries are unfortunate accidents that are apart of the sport but mental health stress is a sign of weakness or lack of toughness and failure. Competing at the highest level brings stress to every athlete. Emotional stress is chronic but it also has tipping points and certainly can boil over in the heat of a competition.

Let me add that while in Simone’s case it is a reasonable hypothesis, it is still shitty to assert that physical injuries are unfortunate accidents that are apart of the sport but mental health stress is a sign of weakness or lack of toughness and failure. Competing at the highest level brings stress to every athlete. Emotional stress is chronic but it also has tipping points and certainly can boil over in the heat of a competition.

I don't disagree at all (you may not have been talking to me).

There is also another acceptable explanation: "I don't want to do this anymore/I never really wanted to do this as badly as my so-called $upport $y$tem wanted me do to this, and/or I thought I wanted to do this when I was younger and didn't know anything else but how cow look at how real-life is/awesome drugs are(a/k/a/ "My name is Ricky Williams"). Just because you're talented at something doesn't mean you're condemned to have to do it professionally. There are valid questions as to the timing, but at an absolute minimum this apparatus molested young girls for years and covered it up. Weep not for USA Gymnastics.

Big part of why her team was losing is she attempted an easy vault and fucked it up.

The rest of the girls on the team should give her their silver medals.

How many of you know what it is to deal with trauma?

How many of you know what it’s like to deal with trauma in an incredibly public setting?

How many of you know what it’s like to deal with trauma in a public setting while per framing at the absolute top of your profession and setting new standards for excellence?

Don’t you dare call this woman weak.

This. I am just catching up but I'm not surprised by the reactions of some. Most Americans (people?) don't understand mental health issues. That lack of understanding and care is part of the problem.

Just realized we have to know all the athletes we talk about on this here sports board. My bad.

Aaron Rodgers did have defenders, but also, has plenty, if not a majority, that love to make fun/critique his act.

FWIW, Rodgers pulled his drama-queen act in the off-season. Now, if he walks off the field at the start of game or even more apropos, after the first snap of the Super Bowl, I see the comparison. I can't name another gymnast on Team USA, but I'm guessing with the 5 year gap since the 2016 games, Tokyo was the one and only shot for some if not all of Biles teammates to win an Olympic Gold, and she essentially walked out after the first snap, and the team finished second without their best teammate. Sorry, but if at least questioning the timing of that decision is now off-limits, not sure how any athlete can ever be questioned.

"Drama-queen"

Uggghhhh.

There were a lot of people supportive of Kaaron Rodgers' reported decision to quit on his team, and the reported reasons were far less compelling than trauma/mental health issues. I would have been more supportive of Kaaron if he decided not to play right before a game because he mentally could not perform versus him deciding to leave because he feels emasculated by Jake Kumerow being cut.

Anyway, he didn't quit yet, but he's still a bitch.

A lot of misogyny to unpack here.

Think you need a primer on Karen - it's really about white privilege. Bitch, yeah you can attack me for that one, but weird bone to pick on this thread.

Big part of why her team was losing is she attempted an easy vault and fucked it up.

The rest of the girls on the team should give her their silver medals.

Isn’t that a pretty good indicator that she was not performing well…. Like something is wrong when the best in the world can’t do an “easy” vault. It seems similar to an athlete trying to play through an injury and the end up fucking up the whole game for their teammates. Withdrawl seems warranted.

Last edited:
Back