• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Think you need a primer on Karen - it's really about white privilege. Bitch, yeah you can attack me for that one, but weird bone to pick on this thread.

Its also about the total post insulting a man for being wimpy or weak with a name and term referring to women. Feel free to take that call out and reexamine how you insult people. Missed that the Aaron rogers stuff was white privilege. I'll admit to not being a big NFL fan though.

Just realized we have to know all the athletes we talk about on this here sports board. My bad.

And I just realized calf size and msg board post reading comprehension corolate. Or maybe you ignored his point and mine. #gotme

After that rapid-fire tirade I'll check back in tomorrow!

I find myself kind of agreeing with Woke and Broke. It’s a reasonable hypothesis as birdman said. But I do feel compelled to say not every Black woman is Rosa Parks. Until Biles tells us otherwise, we shouldn’t assume this was a political statement about USA Gymnastics or anything more than her dropping out to take care of herself.

After seeing Biles tell her teammates, my first thought was Andrew Luck retiring by telling Brissett during a preseason game.

I should add that in hindsight, some of her interviews were signals. She talked a lot about her age and being too old for this. If CP or Lebron started talking about age, we’d know they didn’t have it anymore.

No idea what happened with Biles today and not going to downplay the serious of mental trauma / exhaustion...

However, there is a non-insignificant part of being an elite-level athlete that comes from mental toughness & discipline. It's not just physical tools. Clearly, Biles has had both for most of her gymnastics career. She did not today, for whatever reason. I hope she is OK.

If her teammates & coaches are OK with what happened, it is tough for me to criticize. But it also has to tarnish her legacy somewhat because she failed on the biggest stage. Maybe that's not fair, but the whole point of the Olympics is for these athletes to compete at the highest level and see how they stack up against the world's best.

I'm not mad at her... That would be silly.

I'm sure we'll hear a LOT more about this once the Olympics are in the rear view. Interested to hear the whole story, beyond just the post-event press conference.

All this

I find myself kind of agreeing with Woke and Broke. It’s a reasonable hypothesis as birdman said. But I do feel compelled to say not every Black woman is Rosa Parks. Until Biles tells us otherwise, we shouldn’t assume this was a political statement about USA Gymnastics or anything more than her dropping out to take care of herself.

After seeing Biles tell her teammates, my first thought was Andrew Luck retiring by telling Brissett during a preseason game.

I should add that in hindsight, some of her interviews were signals. She talked a lot about her age and being too old for this. If CP or Lebron started talking about age, we’d know they didn’t have it anymore.

Feels weird to agree with woke and broke though.

She’s both.

No she isn’t. She gave up her American citizenship. She cannot hold an American passport. She wasn’t born in America and neither of her parents is American.

She’s lived in the US since she was a little kid. That’s American to me particularly in the context of that post.

This post was sad to read:

https://www.facebook.com/614225003/posts/10165391953925004/

Over the last 24 hours, I've had 56 messages from athletes/coaches seeking help at the #Olympics.

These 2021 Games are a mental health nightmare.

In the 21 years working with athletes at Olympic games, I've never seen more stress/anxiety. (The individual sport athletes are having the hardest time behind the scenes.)

I feel very bad for Simone Biles, she's such a phenomenal athlete. And an incredibly kind human despite the vitriol she can be on the receiving end of.

The source of her issues and many other athletes right now, is the toxic nature of social media.

I was just texting with ABC News and I said, "It feels like we're holding athletes together with duct tape and gorilla glue right now."

The Olympic games are just a microcosm of society. If you're seeing some of the most mentally tough, focused, and disciplined people on the planet fall prey to 'pressure.'

What about the regular Joe's and Jane's of society...that don't have the same level of skill at coping with the toxic levels of opinion, rhetoric, and hateful commentary online.

The antidote is always the same... be more kind.

If you do watch the Olympic games, tweet or comment to the 8th place person that they're inspiring, not just the gold medalist.

Send a message to the person that didn't even make it to the final heat, that you appreciate all the effort they put in to getting to the Olympics, and thanks for making our country or your country proud.

These athletes are getting bombarded with some pretty mean stuff because they 'let an entire nation down.'

Or,

"Thanks for making me stay up late just to watch you lose."

Something's gotta give when it comes to people's behaviors online, and maybe this post can be a little reminder to encourage everyone, not just the winners.

Because they sure need it right now. The conditions inside the Olympic village isn't fun or healthy for most.
—————-

Hadn’t really thought about the possibility that people saying shitty things about Biles here are tweeting that nonsense at her too.

Last edited:
Feels weird to agree with woke and broke though.

Was interesting to hear Tirico asking Nastia Liukin about “losing it in the air” and how it is quite common for elite gymnasts to get mentally off and lose confidence so they don’t really have the air awareness they normally do when doing multiple flips/twists. Discussed how shocking it is Simone only did 1 1/2 when her routine called for 2 1/2. Nastia mentioned how serious Simone could get injured given the high degree of difficulty and power/speed she normally goes if she were not 100% confident and “lose it in the air” on a given routine. Given her last few weeks it would be hard to see Simone back out there unless something clicks in her practice, but after hearing that discussion I don’t think you can compare her quitting to others in other sports. Completely apples to oranges after hearing that discussion and completely understandable as she could really mess herself up for long term.

Was interesting to hear Tirico asking Nastia Liukin about “losing it in the air” and how it is quite common for elite gymnasts to get mentally off and lose confidence so they don’t really have the air awareness they normally do when doing multiple flips/twists. Discussed how shocking it is Simone only did 1 1/2 when her routine called for 2 1/2. Nastia mentioned how serious Simone could get injured given the high degree of difficulty and power/speed she normally goes if she were not 100% confident and “lose it in the air” on a given routine. Given her last few weeks it would be hard to see Simone back out there unless something clicks in her practice, but after hearing that discussion I don’t think you can compare her quitting to others in other sports. Completely apples to oranges after hearing that discussion and completely understandable as she could really mess herself up for long term.

Do we know Biles is having mental health issues, or is that an assumption? Is not performing up to expectations due to stress/anxiety on a big stage a mental health issue? Maybe. Or maybe not. I don’t know in Biles’ situation and I don’t think anybody else does either except for her and those close to her.

If she is truly having mental health problems then it is almost certainly best for her to withdraw and get better. If she just responded poorly to not performing well, that’s a different story. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt - I think she’s entitled to it.

She’s lived in the US since she was a little kid. That’s American to me particularly in the context of that post.

This post was sad to read:

https://www.facebook.com/614225003/posts/10165391953925004/

Over the last 24 hours, I've had 56 messages from athletes/coaches seeking help at the #Olympics.

These 2021 Games are a mental health nightmare.

In the 21 years working with athletes at Olympic games, I've never seen more stress/anxiety. (The individual sport athletes are having the hardest time behind the scenes.)

I feel very bad for Simone Biles, she's such a phenomenal athlete. And an incredibly kind human despite the vitriol she can be on the receiving end of.

The source of her issues and many other athletes right now, is the toxic nature of social media.

I was just texting with ABC News and I said, "It feels like we're holding athletes together with duct tape and gorilla glue right now."

The Olympic games are just a microcosm of society. If you're seeing some of the most mentally tough, focused, and disciplined people on the planet fall prey to 'pressure.'

What about the regular Joe's and Jane's of society...that don't have the same level of skill at coping with the toxic levels of opinion, rhetoric, and hateful commentary online.

The antidote is always the same... be more kind.

If you do watch the Olympic games, tweet or comment to the 8th place person that they're inspiring, not just the gold medalist.

Send a message to the person that didn't even make it to the final heat, that you appreciate all the effort they put in to getting to the Olympics, and thanks for making our country or your country proud.

These athletes are getting bombarded with some pretty mean stuff because they 'let an entire nation down.'

Or,

"Thanks for making me stay up late just to watch you lose."

Something's gotta give when it comes to people's behaviors online, and maybe this post can be a little reminder to encourage everyone, not just the winners.

Because they sure need it right now. The conditions inside the Olympic village isn't fun or healthy for most.
—————-

Hadn’t really thought about the possibility that people saying shitty things about Biles here are tweeting that nonsense at her too.

wow political correctness run amok

shutterstock_152680601_815X879.png

She’s not an American. She intentionally renounced her American citizenship and chose Japanese citizenship.

Florida was where Naomi and Mari, who is also a professional tennis player, trained for most of their tennis career. When she was 13, Naomi’s father decided for her and Mari to play tennis for Japan instead of the United States after the United States Tennis Association showed little interest in the sisters. “My dad thought that since I grew up around my mom and I have a lot of Japanese relatives,” Naomi told The New York Times. “I don’t necessarily feel like I’m American. I wouldn’t know what that feels like.”

For most of her life, Naomi had dual citizenship in both the U.S. and Japan. However, October 2019, Naomi relinquished her American citizenship. Though the decision allowed her to play for Japan in the 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics, that wasn’t the main reason. Under Japan’s Nationality Act, those with dual citizenship must choose one before their 22nd birthday. Naomi’s decision to to relinquish her US citizenship came six days before her 22nd birthday.

She isn’t an American, says she doesn’t understand what being American is, and she doesn’t want to be an American. Fine, go be a citizen of some other country.

And no, I’m not tweeting at Simone Biles.

Do we know Biles is having mental health issues, or is that an assumption? Is not performing up to expectations due to stress/anxiety on a big stage a mental health issue? Maybe. Or maybe not. I don’t know in Biles’ situation and I don’t think anybody else does either except for her and those close to her.

If she is truly having mental health problems then it is almost certainly best for her to withdraw and get better. If she just responded poorly to not performing well, that’s a different story. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt - I think she’s entitled to it.

I read that she said she withdrew to rest and focus on her mental health…so I am “assuming” it has something to do with mental health.

Back