• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

——

On July 27, 2015, Biles was an 18-year-old world champion who arrived at USAG headquarters in Indianapolis for a series of appearances to promote one of their events. For two days, Biles signed autographs and did other favors to please USAG officials. Penny personally drove Biles and her mother to some of the functions and had extended conversations with her, according to John Manly, an attorney for Biles and other victims. Biles even appeared at a birthday party for Penny’s daughter.

You know what Penny failed to mention over those two days? In fact, failed to breathe so much as a word of, much less warn her of? The fact that he had credible evidence Nassar was a molester.

On July 25, shortly before Biles arrived in Indianapolis, Penny had learned of an “unambiguous claim of sexual abuse” by Nassar against a gymnast from a private investigator, who told him he was obliged to go straight to law enforcement. Instead Penny went straight to the USOPC, calling CEO Scott Blackmun for advice. On July 27, even as Biles was in Indianapolis smiling for the cameras and signing autographs, Penny scheduled a meeting with the local FBI. And on July 28, he met with the FBI’s Abbott, who subsequently smothered the investigation for months while Penny explored getting him a job at the USOPC.

And he never said a word to Biles.

If you think conduct like this is past tense for these organizations, think again. Throughout 2020 and 2021, the USOPC and USAG have perpetuated their coverup with civil court motions. They have hidden from accountability with bankruptcy proceedings. They have demanded that in exchange for any civil settlement, Biles and others who suffered Nassar’s assaults issue blanket liability releases that would protect a rogue’s gallery of well-known abusers, as well as Penny. And they have fought to keep the depositions of Penny, Blackmun and former chairman Larry Probst under seal.

Under seal.

Does that sound like these organizations have turned over a new leaf and become more “athlete-centered?” They had the nerve to feign support for Biles this week. They are not her supporters. They are her tormentors.
——-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/29/simone-biles-larry-nassar-fbi/

Simone Biles suffered a mental health breakdown, one that was so severe she couldn't continue to compete. It is no different than an athlete suffering a physical health breakdown that is so severe they are not able to continue to compete. It was not physically visible because it is not a physical injury, yet it is still an injury and a debilitating one.

It is sad, but not surprising, that many people are incapable of understanding this.

Right. I think when she muffed the vault she realized she just didn't have it. Her withdrawal probably actually helped the team. Biles has been the face of our women's team for years, clearly the best gymnast in the world, despite having been molested when she was younger and the pressure on her not only to perform but to lead. She's done well. Gymnastics needed Biles more than she needed gymnastics, but she has soldiered on and now it seems to have caught up with her. With her gone, the women's team will have to get better. They can't just rely on her constant scoring to win. This is bad for Biles, but may turn out to be a good thing for the US Women's Gymnastics team.

——

On July 27, 2015, Biles was an 18-year-old world champion who arrived at USAG headquarters in Indianapolis for a series of appearances to promote one of their events. For two days, Biles signed autographs and did other favors to please USAG officials. Penny personally drove Biles and her mother to some of the functions and had extended conversations with her, according to John Manly, an attorney for Biles and other victims. Biles even appeared at a birthday party for Penny’s daughter.

You know what Penny failed to mention over those two days? In fact, failed to breathe so much as a word of, much less warn her of? The fact that he had credible evidence Nassar was a molester.

On July 25, shortly before Biles arrived in Indianapolis, Penny had learned of an “unambiguous claim of sexual abuse” by Nassar against a gymnast from a private investigator, who told him he was obliged to go straight to law enforcement. Instead Penny went straight to the USOPC, calling CEO Scott Blackmun for advice. On July 27, even as Biles was in Indianapolis smiling for the cameras and signing autographs, Penny scheduled a meeting with the local FBI. And on July 28, he met with the FBI’s Abbott, who subsequently smothered the investigation for months while Penny explored getting him a job at the USOPC.

And he never said a word to Biles.

If you think conduct like this is past tense for these organizations, think again. Throughout 2020 and 2021, the USOPC and USAG have perpetuated their coverup with civil court motions. They have hidden from accountability with bankruptcy proceedings. They have demanded that in exchange for any civil settlement, Biles and others who suffered Nassar’s assaults issue blanket liability releases that would protect a rogue’s gallery of well-known abusers, as well as Penny. And they have fought to keep the depositions of Penny, Blackmun and former chairman Larry Probst under seal.

Under seal.

Does that sound like these organizations have turned over a new leaf and become more “athlete-centered?” They had the nerve to feign support for Biles this week. They are not her supporters. They are her tormentors.
——-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/29/simone-biles-larry-nassar-fbi/

I have not watched every minute of NBC's Olympics coverage, but have they mentioned any of the sexual abuse, at all, during the coverage?

Obviously in terms of guilt it's

Nassar
USA Gymnastics
Enablers like Penny
NBC

but NBC is on the list if they haven't said a word about how this might have impacted the proceedings of the last few days

I have not watched every minute of NBC's Olympics coverage, but have they mentioned any of the sexual abuse, at all, during the coverage?

Obviously in terms of guilt it's

Nassar
USA Gymnastics
Enablers like Penny
NBC

but NBC is on the list if they haven't said a word about how this might have impacted the proceedings of the last few days

Not that I've seen, but as you, I haven't watched every minute.

I hate that US Olympics ahs treated these women like garbage but also we're by far the best gymnasts

Right. I think when she muffed the vault she realized she just didn't have it. Her withdrawal probably actually helped the team. Biles has been the face of our women's team for years, clearly the best gymnast in the world, despite having been molested when she was younger and the pressure on her not only to perform but to lead. She's done well. Gymnastics needed Biles more than she needed gymnastics, but she has soldiered on and now it seems to have caught up with her. With her gone, the women's team will have to get better. They can't just rely on her constant scoring to win. This is bad for Biles, but may turn out to be a good thing for the US Women's Gymnastics team.

This is the vibe I get from my wife. She is a gymnastics coach and has worked at several camps with Olympians in the past. She also doesn't believe that this came out of the blue to the current coaches and team. They are too close of a unit. A complete blindside would have been much more possible under the old regime.

You can blame their shitty parents too.

Biff is correct in a way here. Not that they are shitty parents, but from what I understand these elite gymnasts are basically raised more by the program than they are the parents. I don't think there's any doubt that this separation certainly fostered an atmosphere where the bad stuff was allowed to go undetected for a long time. Allowing a child to follow their dream is not being a shitty parent, but not being there with your kids on a daily basis can have it's consequences.

That's some catholic church type shit.

Catholic church is doing that slow clap thing to show respect to USA gymnastics in regards to sexual abuse coverups. I mean offering the investigating FBI agent a job? Why didn't the pope think of that?

Word on the Street is the Simone usually takes Riddlin for ADHD, but it is banned in this Olympics due to Japanese policy so she has not been able to take it.

That would make ALOT of sense about what happened.

Shit. Yeah. That would make a ton of sense. That's messed up.

Word on the Street is the Simone usually takes Riddlin for ADHD, but it is banned in this Olympics due to Japanese policy so she has not been able to take it.

That would make ALOT of sense about what happened.

Could explain what sent her over edge, but confidence was clearly shaken at US trials and would assume she had access to riddlin then.

Back