• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Isn't it time to stop holding the Olympics in the summer?

This makes a lot of sense. Just do the Spring Olympics. I don’t need to see people get heatstroke during increasing climate change. I guess NBC doesn’t want to compete with Spring and Fall sports though. Different seasons would have to adjust as well. It would be worth it.

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense. Just do the Spring Olympics. I don’t need to see people get heatstroke during increasing climate change. I guess NBC doesn’t want to compete with Spring and Fall sports though. Different seasons would have to adjust as well. It would be worth it.

Those people should just train better for physical and mental health.

Tokyo is fourth warmest summer games. Over the last century where the games were had as much to do with the average temps than when they were.

It’s typically not as hot in the Spring and Fall.

Not to mention that it is currently winter in the Southern Hemisphere. Maybe we should go with “breeding season” and “non-breeding season” nomenclature. That’s what we ornithologists do to avoid a northern hemisphere bias.

The 64 Olympics in Tokyo were held in October. They are being held now specifically so NBC doesn’t conflict with NFL.

Average temp, historically for Tokyo in August is 87. That's not unrealistic.

I think 10 of the last 13 northern hemisphere Olympics have at least started in July or August.

Maybe there are others but baseball is the primary summer sport, why would you conflict with the normal sports calendar? If you went historically, when amateurs were important, why would you hold it in the spring when they are competing?

The France women’s basketball coach looks like a woman Coach K.

Didn't see her, but that's a frightening thought.

Once every four years I think they could swing it. NFL fans could find something else to bet on. Baseball wouldn't care.

Atlanta is hotter than Tokyo this time of year I suspect, no one bitched about it then.

Seems like nobody got up at 4am to watch the women' underperform again. Good call by us.

The USWNT needs a big clear out.

Seems like nobody got up at 4am to watch the women' underperform again. Good call by us.

I got up at 4:30 and watched most of it. Had a 6:30 tee time anyway. We dominated possession as usual, but Canada played great defensively. We only had 2 decent scoring chances, 1 where their goalie made a solid save on an Ertz header and 1 where Lloyd headed it off the top of the crossbar. Really all we had all game was get it wide and hit crosses in for heading opportunities. I didn't agree with the VAR overcall on the penalty inside the box - thought it was a 50/50 ball that both players were going for., and that gave them their goal on a PK. They had no offense whatsoever other than that. But it's hard to complain when we went scoreless in 3 of our 5 games.

As for the future, Lloyd is definitely done. She's hung on too long, and all she can do now is pounce on something in front of the net. Sauerbrun is probably done too - time to get younger on D. It's funny with Rapinoe. She wasn't great in these games but has played pretty well in the last year or so leading up to it. But she should probably be nudged out soon. Then we have a handful of players in their early 30s - Morgan, O'Hara, Press, Heath and Naeher. Of those, O'Hara, Press and Naeher are still playing at a high level. That group will probably stick around for the next WC, which is in 2 years.

I wouldn’t waste my time watching this team regardless of when it was on.

Back