• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Im and Kim need medals to get out of military service. They def don't want their career ruined like Sang Moon Bae.

Does a medal get them out of military service? How does a South Korean get exempted from military service?

Good thing South Korean women aren't required to serve in the military, otherwise the quality of the LPGA tour would take a serious dip.

US basketball lost an exhibition game to Australia. This follows their loss to Nigeria. Team not looking good.

Does a medal get them out of military service? How does a South Korean get exempted from military service?

Good thing South Korean women aren't required to serve in the military, otherwise the quality of the LPGA tour would take a serious dip.

An Olympic medal exempts any South Korean from compulsory military service. I think a major victory would also provide an exemption, but I might be wrong about this part. Either way, the Olympics will be the last chance for either to earn an exemption before their deferments run out.

An Olympic medal exempts any South Korean from compulsory military service. I think a major victory would also provide an exemption, but I might be wrong about this part. Either way, the Olympics will be the last chance for either to earn an exemption before their deferments run out.

I don't think a major victory does exempt them from service (unless something has changed in the past few years), which is one of the reasons why they are skipping the British Open to prepare for the Olympics. From a 2017 article:

Exemptions are given to South Korean athletes that medal in the Olympics or that win gold medals in the Asian Games.

NBA finals - check.

Over under on gold medals vs. positive covid tests?

I didn’t get to watch. How did the USWNT lose 3-0 to Sweden?

I didn't watch either but I assume its because this squad is way too damn old, injury probe, and plays a style of soccer that is outdated. Lloyd, Rapinoe, Sauerbraun and a few others should have been retired internationally two years ago.

Getting humbled in this tournament would honestly be a good thing. The Women's program needs to evolve quickly. European clubs are taking it seriously now and are developing their players far better than we are.

I didn’t get to watch. How did the USWNT lose 3-0 to Sweden?

I, unfortunately, did get up to watch. They were thoroughly outplayed from the start. It's not like Sweden isn't a quality side - they are #5 in the world and knocked the US out of the last Olympics. I have long agreed with the sentiment above that the US has clung to aging stars instead of developing the next wave and that is going to hurt them short term. It's also true that the rest of the world is starting to catch up to the US in terms of development and funding for the women's game. It's going to be a lot harder for the US to find success going forward as the women's game grows globally anyway, but seemingly stifling development for the sake of aging (but marketable) stars is short-sighted, IMHO.

Preface this by saying that my knowledge of women's soccer is nil.

Is it possible that the USWNT just had a bad game, needed a wake up call and will now roll? For the gloom and doom talk after this loss, weren't the USWNT on a long winning streak before this loss?

Can’t believe that the Olympics are supposed to start in 2 days and there is still a possibility that they may be cancelled.
Will any city/country ever want to host the Olympnics agaIn?

not an original idea, but having one or a few rotating hosts is the way to go

LA is hosting in 2028.

FWIW, China is hosting the Winter Olympics in a little more than 6 months.

I know countries are already committed for the next few Olympics, but after that I really think we’re going to see fewer places fight to host the games. It’s a huge, money losing proposition. As mentioned above, a logical way would be to rotate to several built venues to lower the long term costs.

Is it possible that the USWNT just had a bad game, needed a wake up call and will now roll? For the gloom and doom talk after this loss, weren't the USWNT on a long winning streak before this loss?

I didn't see the game, but yes, it's possible - I hadn't realized the soccer had started. I've watched most of our friendlies, and we've mostly been good. That, and Sweden has been our kryptonite more than any other nation for the last decade. But Triple is correct that the USWNT has clung onto aging stars for their entire existence, no matter the coach - appears to be a cultural thing. I will say that Rapinoe has still been playing well, but Sauerbrunn and Lloyd are close to done. And Heath, Press, Morgan and O'Hara are also in that 32-33 age range. So yeah, there will be and should be a lot of turnover in the next 2-3 years. With that turnover, we should still be fine at defense and midfield. The potential issues are at forward and set pieces. Seems like it's either been Holiday or Rapinoe taking set pieces for the last 10-12 years, and I don't know if we'll have the proficiency at scoring up front after Press and Morgan leave the scene. I've seen Williams play up front, and she's had some nice runs there and is fast, but she lacks quality as a finisher.

But these red and blue geometric kits that the men and women are wearing are the most hideous kits I've ever seen. How hard is it to design a semi-attractive kit?

General consensus was that this was a team of olds. The olds fought to stay on instead of allowing the younger, better players to go. The team that beat them in penalty kicks in Rio boatraced them in Tokyo. Not surprising really. The olds always want to hang out because they become irrelevant as soon as they are gone.

I know countries are already committed for the next few Olympics, but after that I really think we’re going to see fewer places fight to host the games. It’s a huge, money losing proposition. As mentioned above, a logical way would be to rotate to several built venues to lower the long term costs.

Yes, this is what both the IOC and FIFA should do with both the Olympics and WC. That said, I don't see it happening until cities and countries stop showing interest in hosting.

Yes, this is what both the IOC and FIFA should do with both the Olympics and WC. That said, I don't see it happening until cities and countries stop showing interest in hosting.
"Showing interest" a good euphemism for proffering bribes

Back