• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Summer Olympics rotation among Los Angeles, London, Paris, Beijing and Tokyo makes the most sense to me. All are traditional Olympic cities having hosted multiple times before. Spreads it out across Americas, Europe, Asia. All are big enough that they would have other needs for the facilities post-Olympics. And a 5-city rotation means you get the Olympics every 20 years so likely only need to update some of your facilities each time.

But as others have said, unlikely to happen as long as money is involved.

Taylor Crabb, one of the four male US sand VB athletes has tested positive despite being vaccinated and will have to miss the Olympics. Symptom-free but has to quarantine and a sub will take his place. These Olympics are off to a horrible start. Decent chance the whole thing gets cancelled.

Taylor Crabb, one of the four male US sand VB athletes has tested positive despite being vaccinated and will have to miss the Olympics. Symptom-free but has to quarantine and a sub will take his place. These Olympics are off to a horrible start. Decent chance the whole thing gets cancelled.

Can't see it getting cancelled now. They will maybe remove teams from competition or cancel certain matches, but no way they will shut it all down.

Selfishly, I really just want to see the opening ceremonies. As soon as I heard it was in Tokyo, I was really excited to see what they were going to come up with.

If I remember correctly, their closing ceremonies in 2016 was really good.

Caught some 3x3 basketball last night - very fun and super faced paced. 12 second shot clock and most times they shoot within 6 seconds

US up 2-0 on New Zealand at the half. We had 4 goals nullified from being offside (1 was dubious)

Still wasn't super impressive. New Zealand is weak, and 2 of our goals were OGs. Not sure why Lloyd is starting at this point - she didn't look particularly sharp. If you're going to play her, bring her on around 70'. Press should be starting - think she's our best striker at this point. Lavelle and Ertz were strong. Dahlkemper has had a forgettable 1st 2 games. Better at least tie Australia.

Democratically elected leaders who are somewhat accountable to the people are realizing these games (and World Cup) are massive economic drain and will no longer help them politically. Get ready for for these games (and the World Cup) to be be hosted by authoritarian regimes in the regular.

Democratically elected leaders who are somewhat accountable to the people are realizing these games (and World Cup) are massive economic drain and will no longer help them politically. Get ready for for these games (and the World Cup) to be be hosted by authoritarian regimes in the regular.

Much less true for the World Cup where it can be spread out over a whole country (rather than just one city) and where the facilities are much more likely to be usable in the future (unlike ski jumping stadiums, Olympic villages, etc)

Much less true for the World Cup where it can be spread out over a whole country (rather than just one city) and where the facilities are much more likely to be usable in the future (unlike ski jumping stadiums, Olympic villages, etc)

Have you seen what they’re doing with some of these stadiums from South Africa, Brazil and Russia? Brazil spent $500 million to play 3 group games in the middle of the Amazon and the stadium hasn’t been used since except as a bus depot. The economic model is broken. I’m sure Qatar’s new stadia will get a lot of use after 2022. UEFA couldn’t get one country to host Euro 2020.

Have you seen what they’re doing with some of these stadiums from South Africa, Brazil and Russia? Brazil spent $500 million to play 3 group games in the middle of the Amazon and the stadium hasn’t been used since except as a bus depot. The economic model is broken. I’m sure Qatar’s new stadia will get a lot of use after 2022. UEFA couldn’t get one country to host Euro 2020.

It only should be allowed in countries that already have a robust network of stadiums. So the US and most of the major Western European countries. But those aren’t the ones likely to do kickbacks as much, so.

It only should be allowed in countries that already have a robust network of stadiums. So the US and most of the major Western European countries. But those aren’t the ones likely to do kickbacks as much, so.

Yeah, I don't see US city and state governments greasing palms for Olympics hosting.

Back