• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Have you seen what they’re doing with some of these stadiums from South Africa, Brazil and Russia? Brazil spent $500 million to play 3 group games in the middle of the Amazon and the stadium hasn’t been used since except as a bus depot. The economic model is broken. I’m sure Qatar’s new stadia will get a lot of use after 2022. UEFA couldn’t get one country to host Euro 2020.

Oh I agree that there are plenty of countries that shouldn’t try to host because, among other reasons, they’ll spend a ton of money on wasted facilities.

But the original point I was responding to was that countries with democratically elected leaders won’t want to host the World Cup, and my response was that I disagreed because many countries can host the World Cup responsibly. USA obviously wasn’t dissuaded from bidding for 2026. England, Spain and Portugal are among those who will bid for 2030 against other bidders from South America, Africa, and Eastern Europe.

I do agree with that original point when it comes to the olympics. I think enough people know the economic impact of hosting the games to the point that they’d discourage their leaders from bidding.

NBC seems to be covering the Olympics like sports. I appreciate them switching the USA Network coverage over to Australia-USA Softball tied 0-0 in extra innings.

So the men’s basketball game is only showing on NBC’s subscription streaming service? That’s some bullshit

Seems like it?

I got Mexico v Japan soccer, tennis, and 3x3 women’s basketball but no men’s basketball.

NBC is just bad and this is a good example. Incessant commercials during the Opening Ceremonies is another.

If ratings are way down wouldn’t you want to show usa men’s basketball.

Peacock streaming appears to not require a credit card but does require an account.

Nope…not gonna do it. At least not today.

Believe me, you don’t want to be stuck watching the bball team.

WTF Dame, is the floor wet or something?

If you have cable TV, you can sign in with your provider info at nbcolympics.com and watch everything on there without the stupid Peacock app.

But yeah, paying $200+ per month for cable which includes like 8 NBC-related stations for them to put USA basketball online to try to get app subscriptions is some fucking bullshit. NBC and Nic Batum can go fuck themselves.

Aren't KD and Lilliard supposed to be, you know, good? Because neither one of them played worth a shit. Holiday and Levine were way more aggressive.

Jrue just got done winning the finals, jumped on a plane, probably jetlagged as hell, no chance to practice with the team for more than a day, and is one of the only guys who showed up.

Jrue just got done winning the finals, jumped on a plane, probably jetlagged as hell, no chance to practice with the team for more than a day, and is one of the only guys who showed up.

Some of the rest better show up or they will all be packing suitcases very soon.

Putting the olympics only on peacock seems like a dumb strategy. It’s a ton of sports that nobody gives a shit about for 4 years so none of it is actually must watch tv. I’m definitely going to watch as much as I can for 2 weeks as long as I dont need a special account or subscription. And if you put water polo on peacock, fine I’ll just watch cycling I guess. It’s like the opposite of a ppv event. So seems like best model would be to keep it on all the nbc channels and maximize the eyeballs and ad revenue. Then use things that people have shown they will pay for and won’t live without - like friends and the office and the premier league - to increase peacock subscriptions.

Back