• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

Nevin Harrison is such a cool story. 19 year old who won the first ever gold in women's canoe sprint. Doctor's told her at age 14 she'd never play "normal" sports again due to severe hip dysplasia. She showed them, I'd say. Extremely well spoken, and kinda cute too.

Last edited:
What is it, the sound of a breaking windshield?

It's like a higher-pitched version of the sound Jim Carrey makes in Dumb and Dumber that he calls the most annoying sound in the world.

Awesome race from Courtney Frerichs in the steeplechase for silver. Badass effort.

Feel bad for Coburn. Sometimes the body doesn't respond.

Pretty impressive run by these Japanese women’s basketball. I don’t think they have any chance against our team, but quite a run with a small lineup team.

Hassan the story of this Olympics for me. I'm just blown away.

Happy for Laura Muir to finally get one. I feel like I've been watching her on the circuit for a decade.

betterphan and others -- what track events do you watch outside the Olympics and how do you watch them?

betterphan and others -- what track events do you watch outside the Olympics and how do you watch them?
I don't follow anything too closely. But there are a handful of diamond league meets covered by nbc every year. I try to watch the big relay meets (Texas, penn, drake, Raleigh), the big invitationals (prefontaine, Peyton Jordan), and a handful of smaller, local races I like (e.g. Sir Walter Miler) that are usually available to stream for free.

Yeah, the 14 year old looks like she's about 4' 8" and maybe 70 pounds, she's got as big advantage in diving as she would have a disadvantage in a canon ball contest. In a country like China I would imagine that start grooming these kids at a very, very young age for this stuff. I'm sure it's not that these kids grow up playing or participating in multiple sports and it kind of just happens as to what they have a passion for and what they have the most talent for. The 14 and 15 year old probably got identified at a young age and it was decided for them that diving was going to be their deal.

I don't follow anything too closely. But there are a handful of diamond league meets covered by nbc every year. I try to watch the big relay meets (Texas, penn, drake, Raleigh), the big invitationals (prefontaine, Peyton Jordan), and a handful of smaller, local races I like (e.g. Sir Walter Miler) that are usually available to stream for free.

Plus: ACC Track Championship (indoor and outdoor) is on ACC network. NCAA Championship in Oregon every June is usually on NBC I think.

Plus: ACC Track Championship (indoor and outdoor) is on ACC network. NCAA Championship in Oregon every June is usually on NBC I think.
Ooh yes, good addition, thanks. The collegiate stuff is my favorite, for obvious reasons.

ha, yep!

family friend -- used to spend the night at his house and he would be get up early to go for a run

at like age 8
In addition to track (where he was much better), we were political rivals in the North Carolina youth legislature and dated several of the same women.

I didn't talk to him much when he was at Georgetown, but when he was at State we trained some together in the summer.

Back