• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eddie Payne

The article cited above failed to mention Carl Tacy's coaching ability or his craftiness. He employed the 4 corners O the entire game. Gave UNC a big serving of their own medicine. Great psychological ploy that worked. Dean had no answer. Had he, UNC easily wins the game by a comfortable 10 point cushion, IMO.

Payne was a walk-on freshman JV'er, but a scholarship player by the time of this game. I'm pretty sure Phil Perry, who hit the winning layup, was a walk-on freshman, as it was the first year freshman were eligible, IIRC. Karl made the decision to close-out on Byers, thinking there is no way he doesn't take the shot, and give the ball up to a seldom used freshman. But Tony, who was a great shooter who transferred in from Vincennes Jr. College, hit Phil breaking to the basket for the winner. (Tacy followed Byers when he played h.s. ball near Shelby, but didn't qualify for Wake when he graduated.)

Phil (Flip) Perry was a scholarship recruit. As was Lee Foye, who hit the game tying shot.

Phil (Flip) Perry was a scholarship recruit. As was Lee Foye, who hit the game tying shot.

I thought he was a walk-on that earned a scholly....being in that first freshmen class eligible, I guess he wasn't ready for a lot of game action....dont think he had more than 3-4 minutes a game.

Seems he was Charlotte guy too (like Payne) or was he a Tenn. boy?

Catch and drive from the top of the key in 1 second, good thing there was no replay.
Now the perfect pass to Brown hitting the scoreboard, that’s another story. Living and dying with the Deacs for 53 years now. Here’s to the next 50 starting now!

I thought he caught it on the baseline 6 ft from basket and shot it before coming down. May have been a radio-listening fantasy but I thought that's what I remember announcers reporting.

Flip was from Frankfort, Kentucky. As a freshman, he played on the Freshman Team. As a sophomore he played a good bit as we often used a 3-guard lineup.

Last edited:
I thought he was a walk-on that earned a scholly....being in that first freshmen class eligible, I guess he wasn't ready for a lot of game action....dont think he had more than 3-4 minutes a game.

Seems he was Charlotte guy too (like Payne) or was he a Tenn. boy?

I think I realized what the situation was....Perry was first year on varsity. Did we still have a jv team? Seems like some schools kept the team for a few more years after freshmen were allowed to play varsity. UNC kept theirs for many years per Dean's desire.

Catch and drive from the top of the key in 1 second, good thing there was no replay.
Now the perfect pass to Brown hitting the scoreboard, that’s another story. Living and dying with the Deacs for 53 years now. Here’s to the next 50 starting now!

If you've made it to 53 so far, the next 50 hopefully won't be too bad.

I think I realized what the situation was....Perry was first year on varsity. Did we still have a jv team? Seems like some schools kept the team for a few more years after freshmen were allowed to play varsity. UNC kept theirs for many years per Dean's desire.

No JV team. 3-guard lineup was Flip, Tony Byers and Eddie , with Mike Parrish and Lee Foye in the frontcourt. Foye was the only freshman.

I thought he caught it on the baseline 6 ft from basket and shot it before coming down. May have been a radio-listening fantasy but I thought that's what I remember announcers reporting.

Lee Foye was facing the backcourt to receive the 80 foot pass from Eddie Payne. He shot a quick turn-around jumper from about 10 feet. Nothing but net. How Eddie threaded that pass between the "trees" was a minor miracle. The baby blue had 4 guys 6-10 or taller on the court. Inexplicably, Dean chose not to contest the inbounds pass. Lee Foye was probably last on the list of Wake players expected to get the pass. But he was open and Eddie hit him perfectly for a wide open shot.

I don't know if Tacy planned the play for Lee Foye or if Eddie simply took what the defense gave him on the inbounds. I think Lee Foye was in the game because of his hops. I think he was also 6-6 on late game free throws. u*NC chose him, a lightly used freshman, to be the designated "hackee."

ETA: Needless to say, the quad was rolled after the game.

Last edited:
Your recall of who was "lightly used" is interesting.

I remember meeting Lee Foye his senior year, my freshman. My sister was a jr.on Babcock 2B. I visited often (mainly to meet her friends on the hall!) One was Regina Blue, a jovial and dry humor personality. She went by "Blue". Lee dated her. He too was upbeat, usually smiling and laughing. Several times he would come up with other buddies. We got to talk in the lounge with him, Leroy McDonald, and Larry Harrison. Leroy had a great personality, Larry more on the quiet side, at least the few times I interacted with them.

No JV team. 3-guard lineup was Flip, Tony Byers and Eddie , with Mike Parrish and Lee Foye in the frontcourt. Foye was the only freshman.

Are you sure there was no freshman/jv team? I lived on the same floor as "program savior" Danny Moses, and IIRC, after it was apparent he was in no physical shape to play at the varsity level he was moved down to the jv team. The point guard on that team was another acquaintance, Jon LeCrone. But I could be totally wrong in my recollection; been a while.

Are you sure there was no freshman/jv team? I lived on the same floor as "program savior" Danny Moses, and IIRC, after it was apparent he was in no physical shape to play at the varsity level he was moved down to the jv team. The point guard on that team was another acquaintance, Jon LeCrone. But I could be totally wrong in my recollection; been a while.

I thought we kept one too, but just a few years.

I don't remember a JV team, but my memory's not perfect. My fraternity pledged Phil Perry, and (eventually) four more guys on his Freshmen Team, so the memory's pretty solid on that front. Since he was varsity, Flip couldn't play, but we were pretty decent in intramurals. The DB's were tough though.

Your recall of who was "lightly used" is interesting.

He averaged about 6.5 points per game for his career and each year. Consistent.. That put him fourth on the '73 team. His Junior and senior years he averaged less than 10 minutes per game. Minutes stats for his freshman and sophomore years aren't available. Charlie Board's site is apparently gone into internet graveyard.

Anybody with access to the W-S newspaper archives back that far?

He averaged about 6.5 points per game for his career and each year. Consistent.. That put him fourth on the '73 team. His Junior and senior years he averaged less than 10 minutes per game. Minutes stats for his freshman and sophomore years aren't available. Charlie Board's site is apparently gone into internet graveyard.

Anybody with access to the W-S newspaper archives back that far?

I would have thought his minutes were significantly higher for his freshman year, after that probably not as much.

But again, I'm dealing purely from an admittedly imperfect memory.

Payne got mentioned during the NBA playoffs last night as Torrey Craig's coach

I would have thought his minutes were significantly higher for his freshman year, after that probably not as much.

But again, I'm dealing purely from an admittedly imperfect memory.

You and me both relying on almost 50 year old memories.

You are probably right about Lee Foye's year and career. With your memory jog, I believe his freshman season was his best and most productive. And it was disappointing that the following years were not better.

My recollection is that there was a clear spot on the left side of the lane about 10 feet out and Eddie hit Lee with the pass there for the game tying turn around jumper.

ETA:

The game WAS on TV, as was every ACC Tournament game. Maybe not everywhere, but in NC for sure. C.D. Chesley made sure of that. The only recordings of the game would be from TV station sources, because consumer video recording equipment did not become available in the U.S for a few more years.

Last edited:
Back