• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eddie Payne

You and me both relying on almost 50 year old memories.

You are probably right about Lee Foye's year and career. With your memory jog, I believe his freshman season was his best and most productive. And it was disappointing that the following years were not better.

My recollection is that there was a clear spot on the left side of the lane about 10 feet out and Eddie hit Lee with the pass there for the game tying turn around jumper.

ETA:

The game WAS on TV, as was every ACC Tournament game. Maybe not everywhere, but in NC for sure. C.D. Chesley made sure of that. The only recordings of the game would be from TV station sources, because consumer video recording equipment did not become available in the U.S for a few more years.

I don't think the 1st round games were televised. I remember them as a radio gig. You're spot on with the layout of the play, but I think I saw that after the fact.

GTHC,GTH!

I don't think the 1st round games were televised. I remember them as a radio gig. You're spot on with the layout of the play, but I think I saw that after the fact.

GTHC,GTH!

I'm pretty sure CD Chesley televised every ACC Tournament game starting with the 1958 tournament. In 1973 there would have been six games: three Thursday, starting in the afternoon, two Friday and the championship on Saturday.

The afternoon games usually effectively shut down learning at a lot of schools in North Carolina. TVs were tuned to the tournament broadcast. A certainty if NCState or u*NC-CH was playing. Less certain, but highly likely if Duke or Wake was playing. A crapshoot if two of the "riff raff" (non-North Carolina teams) were playing each other.

GTHC,GTH!

Quite sure that is correct for this game. I listened on the radio to the game in my office/computer room. Vivid memories. If it was on tv I'm most sure I would have been watching somehow. But, it has been 50 years.

You and me both relying on almost 50 year old memories.

You are probably right about Lee Foye's year and career. With your memory jog, I believe his freshman season was his best and most productive. And it was disappointing that the following years were not better.

My recollection is that there was a clear spot on the left side of the lane about 10 feet out and Eddie hit Lee with the pass there for the game tying turn around jumper.

ETA:

The game WAS on TV, as was every ACC Tournament game. Maybe not everywhere, but in NC for sure. C.D. Chesley made sure of that. The only recordings of the game would be from TV station sources, because consumer video recording equipment did not become available in the U.S for a few more years.

I'm pretty sure Wake has a film room tape ( not a broadcast) of every game.

I dont think these games were on tv yet. We listened on radio at school. I dont think daytime games could preempt the 3 major networks' daytime lineup. Remember, only 3 stations back then. I grew up in the Triangle area and at this time, I'm pretty sure the games weren't on yet.

I remember my dad ('53) and I driving to Burlington the year we played BC in the NCAA Tournament just to see it on tv in an appliance / tv store! 😁 (This was the Johnstone era.) BC had Bagley whom we couldn't stop and we lost. The point is, even then this game was not on tv in the Triangle market.

I'm pretty sure Wake has a film room tape ( not a broadcast) of every game.

I dont think these games were on tv yet. We listened on radio at school. I dont think daytime games could preempt the 3 major networks' daytime lineup. Remember, only 3 stations back then. I grew up in the Triangle area and at this time, I'm pretty sure the games weren't on yet.

I remember my dad ('53) and I driving to Burlington the year we played BC in the NCAA Tournament just to see it on tv in an appliance / tv store!  (This was the Johnstone era.) BC had Bagley whom we couldn't stop and we lost. The point is, even then this game was not on tv in the Triangle market.

Absolutely correct. I listened to Woody's not-so-great call at UNC School of Law. Had to restrain my smile when game ended. Note that Woody briefly did color on Wake radio circa 1967.

I do not recall if the game was on TV but I do vividly remember the play because I was there and saw it in person.

All-time great High Point University men's basketball coach and former athletic director who is the winningest HPU coach in school history with 495 wins, Jerry Steele passed away early Sunday (July 11th) morning. He was 82.

Steele played basketball at Wake Forest from 1958-1961 where he was a captain and twice a member of the ACC All-Academic team. Steele was the head coach at Guilford College from 1964-1971, he then coached the ABA's Carolina Cougars for a season in 1970-1971. In 1972, he became the head coach at High Point where he stayed until retiring in 2003.

https://highpointpanthers.com/news/2021/7/12/athletic-dept-high-point-university-mourns-loss-of-legendary-basketball-coach-jerry-steele.aspx

I thought he caught it on the baseline 6 ft from basket and shot it before coming down. May have been a radio-listening fantasy but I thought that's what I remember announcers reporting.

My bad. The “hail marry” was Phil Perry in the 72-73 tournament. With only 7 ACC teams this game was #7 WF vs #2 UNC. Down 2 pts, Perry caught a pass on the run at the top of the key with 1 second left and drove for the layup to tie . In OT Perry hit the game winner at the buzzer for a 2 pt win .

My bad. The “hail marry” was Phil Perry in the 72-73 tournament. With only 7 ACC teams this game was #7 WF vs #2 UNC. Down 2 pts, Perry caught a pass on the run at the top of the key with 1 second left and drove for the layup to tie . In OT Perry hit the game winner at the buzzer for a 2 pt win .

This post has much bad. The whole thread started with the death of Eddie Payne. He made the 80 foot pass from under one basket to Lee Foye who made a turn around jump shot for the tie at the end of regulation.

Yes, it was the ACC Tournament at the end of the 72-73 season, with #2 seed u*NC vs #7 seed WFU.

Phil Perry did hit the game winner, a breakaway layup at the end of the OT period. It was a totally uncontested shot as he had outrun everybody.

That whole game, WFU and Coach Tacy gave the Tarholes a massive dose of their own four corners medicine.

All-time great High Point University men's basketball coach and former athletic director who is the winningest HPU coach in school history with 495 wins, Jerry Steele passed away early Sunday (July 11th) morning. He was 82.

Steele played basketball at Wake Forest from 1958-1961 where he was a captain and twice a member of the ACC All-Academic team. Steele was the head coach at Guilford College from 1964-1971, he then coached the ABA's Carolina Cougars for a season in 1970-1971. In 1972, he became the head coach at High Point where he stayed until retiring in 2003.

https://highpointpanthers.com/news/2021/7/12/athletic-dept-high-point-university-mourns-loss-of-legendary-basketball-coach-jerry-steele.aspx

Maybe his son was Henry Steele. Points to anyone who can tell me who Henry Steele was?

Pretty sure Dave Odom played for Steele at Guilford....another connection.

Pretty sure Dave Odom played for Steele at Guilford....another connection.

Odom was a student at Guilford from fall 1961 to spring 1965. Wikipedia lists Jerry Steele as Guilfod coach starting in 1962. So Jerry Steele would have been Odom's coach for three basketball seasons.

Last edited:
Quite sure that is correct for this game. I listened on the radio to the game in my office/computer room. Vivid memories. If it was on tv I'm most sure I would have been watching somehow. But, it has been 50 years.

The first year the ACC televised 1st round games was in 1976 when the tournament was in Landover. I remember listening to the 1975 UNC Scoreboard game on the radio. If it had been on TV, I would have watched it instead of listening on the radio.

Back