• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

Can college players try to broker deals for all their teammates, similar to the Miami gym deal for the whole team? Seems like each school/team could create something along the lines of a players association or main rep who works on behalf of the whole team. Or maybe the entire team signs on with some sort of agency vs. player by player, in some cases.

I know I'm in the minority here (probably) but I always like college sports more than pro due to the fact that pros are more about "me, me me" and college tended to be more about team play. I feel that will be changing soon.

Have you bothered reading this thread?

This really smells like we'll be moving to a school recruiting on the "brand" the kid can generate more than on talent. So a kid who looks good in uniform, great smile and attitude will be more in demand than a less attractive true athlete? Will the women's basketball or volleyball coaches recruit the "hot chicks" because they are more marketable? Same with male sports?
I know I'm in the minority here (probably) but I always like college sports more than pro due to the fact that pros are more about "me, me me" and college tended to be more about team play. I feel that will be changing soon. Players seem like they'll be more likely to try the market themselves as their top priority.
Comments from an old white guy.

I think you're misreading this whole NIL thing. The colleges get zero $$ from a kid's ability to market themselves, so the hot volleyball player or the Ronnie Sunshine lookalike QB who can't play a lick has no value to the school. The schools will still recruit based on talent, but perhaps to your point, the players may choose a school based on its ability to make said player a marketable commodity. Since this whole thing for the vast majority of players will not be about the true marketability of the player but instead a "legal" way to funnel booster $$ to the program, the starting right guard at Alabama will likely receive more in NIL than the starting QB at Wake.

We will see where this goes, but before the NIL changes, WF wasn't recruiting against Clemson or Bama. In football, the schools that WF generally recruits against (UVA, NC State, Duke, Vandy, BC, Northwestern) are the ones that WF will need to keep pace with when it comes to NIL issues. There are a lot chicken littles on this Board, but firmly believe that WF will offer as good or better NIL opportunities as those schools. It makes no sense to freak out because the Bama QB that has never taken a snap will make huge money under current NIL rules because he was never coming to WF under any set of rules.

FWIW, the next recruiting cycle (HS class of 2022) will be the most competitive recruiting cycle in the history of FBS/D1 sports as there will be a glut of eligible athletes and not as many scholarships. Next season, the scholarship limits go back to the pre-pandemic levels (85 for football and 13 for hoop), yet there will be an extra year of eligibility for all college players except for the super seniors. Unless the NCAA allows scholarship limit relief, something Clawson has advocated for, schools will be cutting players in droves. The transfer portal will be crazy. So, in the short term, there is going to be a ton of athletes fighting/begging for Power V scholarship opportunities, and the NIL rules will naturally make a Power V scholarship even more valuable because Power V schools get more exposure than non-Power V schools.

Last edited:
The 247Sports in College Station is paying Texas A&M football players $10,000 per interview - backed by a rich alumnus. I give up.

A buddy of mine just called me. He is a big donor at an ACC school. An assistant football coach called him this morning to invite him to a cookout at his house for about 15 big donors. Then he started telling him about a big defensive end recruit who they thought they had in the fold but now UGa is swooping in with an great NIL offer. The coach was asking for help with NIL from my friend to beat Uga's offer and get the recruit in their fold. That's where things are folks. And my friend knows that those 15 donors are invited to that cookout for one reason - NIL money. The problem with NIL money is is can and usually will directly affect the results on the field. Buy the best player - out in the wide open.

Screw "college sports".

Last edited:
The 247Sports in College Station is paying Texas A&M football players $10,000 per interview - backed by a rich alumnus. I give up.

A buddy of mine just called me. He is a big donor at an ACC school. An assistant football coach called him this morning to invite him to a cookout at his house for about 15 big donors. Then he started telling him about a big defensive end recruit who they thought they had in the fold but now UGa is swooping in with an great NIL offer. The coach was asking for help with NIL from my friend to beat Uga's offer and get the recruit in their fold. That's where things are folks. And my friend knows that those 15 donors are invited to that cookout for one reason - NIL money. The problem with NIL money is is can and usually will directly affect the results on the field. Buy the best player - out in the wide open.

Screw "college sports".

Sure. And an offensive lineman at UNC is making a million bucks on social media.

This was all so predictable. Southern conference here we come.

If they suffer in a way that leads to cutting women's sports, the feds will be interested.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: it's the men's sports that will be cut.

Schools started doing this a decade ago

I've said this before and I'll say it again: it's the men's sports that will be cut.

Schools started doing this a decade ago

WF doesn't have any men's sports left to be cut. Golf, tennis, soccer and baseball aren't getting cut (all those programs are self-funded by rich donors), and WF only funds ships for the distance portion of the track program because those athletes also run cross country.

WF doesn't have any men's sports left to be cut. Golf, tennis, soccer and baseball aren't getting cut (all those programs are self-funded by rich donors), and WF only funds ships for the distance portion of the track program because those athletes also run cross country.
I'm not talking about wake. Like I've pointed out a million times (but nobody ever responds to) wake started endowing scholarships in non-rev sports a number of years ago.

Also, the "distance portion" at wake has been traditionally more successful than sprints and throws and multis. Distance guys are much better value anyways bc they also run relays and can drop to mid-distance without much trouble

Last edited:
I think there is a thread on the other board about Lake houses, and now Lake Norman is going to have even more traffic on game days as Lake Norman Christian is gonna be a big deal.

LOL. It's just nuts.

Have we hired our Associate Athletic Director for NIL yet?

To manage all the craziness?

Amazing how quickly NCAA athletes went from being exploited to making more than the (assistant) coaches. Going to see how this changes the player/coach dynamic when an assistant basketball coach is making a fraction of what the star players are raking in.

Feeling that NIL puts Wake at a huge disadvantage isn't being LOWF. It's a numbers backed reality. Our alumni base is small and alumni giving percentage isn't great from the stats the university sends out to us little donors. Winston-Salem has improved tremendously over the past 20 years, but it's not a college town or an exciting city. It's just...pleasant?

I agree we can be competitive in basketball. Maybe even elite. I think NIL crushes Wake in football. There are plenty of schools on par with Wake academically in more exciting cities that can generate more NIL cash. I think Miami football is resurrected by this. Their lack of a stadium, facilities and atmosphere was hurting them in recruiting, but NIL in the Miami market is going to be so lucrative.

Feeling that NIL puts Wake at a huge disadvantage isn't being LOWF. It's a numbers backed reality. Our alumni base is small and alumni giving percentage isn't great from the stats the university sends out to us little donors. Winston-Salem has improved tremendously over the past 20 years, but it's not a college town or an exciting city. It's just...pleasant?

I agree we can be competitive in basketball. Maybe even elite. I think NIL crushes Wake in football. There are plenty of schools on par with Wake academically in more exciting cities that can generate more NIL cash. I think Miami football is resurrected by this. Their lack of a stadium, facilities and atmosphere was hurting them in recruiting, but NIL in the Miami market is going to be so lucrative.

Maybe. It's the wild west right now. We shall see what happens with Miami, but unlike Florida or even FSU, Miami doesn't have much of a fanbase. What fanbase they have are total bandwagon fans. It's a private school that draws its student body from all over the US (a lot of Northeast), and when Miami is mediocre (which has been the norm for a decade) no one cares about Miami football. They struggle to fill 1/3 of the seats Hard Rock Stadium. If Florida has a bad year, they still fill the Swamp.

As for WF, I don't see the NIL thing having a huge impact on football recruiting. WF doesn't recruit against the schools that will offer the most lucrative NIL opportunities. If it comes to the point where WF can't keep up with NC State, VT, UVA and Duke football NIL opportunities, then WF is in trouble. Realize that its early, but WF is having a very good football recruiting year so far in 2021. Maybe that changes in 2022 and beyond, but I have faith in the intelligence and adaptability of Clawson, Forbes and Currie.

Last edited:
Back