• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

Maybe. It's the wild west right now. We shall see what happens with Miami, but unlike Florida or even FSU, Miami doesn't have much of a fanbase. What fanbase they have are total bandwagon fans. It's a private school that draws its student body from all over the US (a lot of Northeast), and when Miami is mediocre (which has been the norm for a decade) no one cares about Miami football. They struggle to fill 1/3 of the seats Hard Rock Stadium. If Florida has a bad year, they still fill the Swamp.

As for WF, I don't see the NIL thing having a huge impact on football recruiting. WF doesn't recruit against the schools that will offer the most lucrative NIL opportunities. If it comes to the point where WF can't keep up with NC State, VT, UVA and Duke football NIL opportunities, then WF is in trouble. Realize that its early, but WF is having a very good football recruiting year so far in 2021. Maybe that changes in 2022 and beyond, but I have faith in the intelligence and adaptability of Clawson, Forbes and Currie.

I don't think intelligence will have much to do with this oncoming debacle of college sports. Unless a retreat to the Southern Conference.

Can college players try to broker deals for all their teammates, similar to the Miami gym deal for the whole team? Seems like each school/team could create something along the lines of a players association or main rep who works on behalf of the whole team. Or maybe the entire team signs on with some sort of agency vs. player by player, in some cases.

Makes you wonder how much effort will be given by a "poor old me scholarship" blocker for a money bags quarterback.

Now we need a salary cap. If this conference realignment continues, college football might eventually compete with the NFL and players will stay in college because they know they can make more. OR, they might stay in college because they know they are marginal NFL players but can make $500K a year as a 23-year old defensive lineman, crushing 19-year-olds.

I'll let you know when I have real life examples.

Now we need a salary cap. If this conference realignment continues, college football might eventually compete with the NFL and players will stay in college because they know they can make more. OR, they might stay in college because they know they are marginal NFL players but can make $500K a year as a 23-year old defensive lineman, crushing 19-year-olds.

I'll let you know when I have real life examples.

Absolutely true and will happen.

The plus side of this Super League could be if the SEC develops a revenue sharing system and salary cap and invites programs who want to be a part of this new system.

Bojangles just signed a deal with the NC State point guard

Not looking forward to most female athletes not getting shit and men's Olympic sports cut so the stars of giant football teams, many of whom will be professional millionaires in a few years, can make a buck while they're honing their abilities and showcasing their potential to NFL teams. Real equitable.

As opposed to the system in which predominantly Black unpaid labor in a few sports for a few teams was footing the bill for disproportionately white athletes and infrastructure in various sports and making coaches, AD, and TV execs rich.

And I guess I’ll keep saying this. The main reason ESPN and ADs haven’t found a way to to monetize Olympic sports (you know, the sports NBC pays big money to televise every four years) is because they haven’t tried.

Last edited:
As opposed to the system in which predominantly Black unpaid labor in a few sports for a few teams was footing the bill for disproportionately white athletes and infrastructure in various sports and making coaches, AD, and TV execs rich.

And I guess I’ll keep saying this. The main reason ESPN and ADs haven’t found a way to to monetize Olympic sports (you know, the sports NBC pays big money to televise every four years) is because they haven’t tried.

Right. People can and do clearly get excited and opinionated about things like gymnastics, swimming and track and field under the the right circumstances.

That crap is on the conference networks and is boring as shit, and I swam through high school. People can only watch it every four years. Personally, I haven’t watched a minute of the Olympics this year except on Twitter or ESPN highlights.

I think the difference between the Olympics and college Olympic sports is production investment. There are natural rivalries in both (US vs Russia or China, and conference rivalries) to exploit, but there is more production done to create personal narratives in the Olympics. Give us bio's, backstories, tales of heroics. College baseball, golf, swimming, gymnastics, wrestling won't be as popular as the pro leagues or the Olympics, but they could be profitable. There is potential there with the right investment.

That crap is on the conference networks and is boring as shit, and I swam through high school. People can only watch it every four years. Personally, I haven’t watched a minute of the Olympics this year except on Twitter or ESPN highlights.

This. Plus the power of nationalism.

I'm not sure how this isn't obvious.

That said, more people should be into beach vb regularly.

Olympic sports are only popular every four years because (wait for it) the powers that be haven’t tried to promote them otherwise.

NBC puts the Olympics on autopilot and they’re failing. There’s been no need to draw revenue from college swimming or volleyball or whatever so they haven’t tried.

Yeah, people make fun of watching paint dry, yet every few years people find themselves checking to see if something they painted is dry. If paint manufacturers put more effort into paint drying as a spectator activity, I'm, sure it would supplant most TV watching.

People have a finite amount of leisure time they can devote to watching sports, or other TV. If they decide they want to sit down and watch a boring as fuck track and field meet on a Saturday for three hours, it's going to be instead of something else.

People only watch these sports every four years because it's the Olympics. Otherwise, people would never ever watch them.

Yeah, people make fun of watching paint dry, yet every few years people find themselves checking to see if something they painted is dry. If paint manufacturers put more effort into paint drying as a spectator activity, I'm, sure it would supplant most TV watching.

People have a finite amount of leisure time they can devote to watching sports, or other TV. If they decide they want to sit down and watch a boring as fuck track and field meet on a Saturday for three hours, it's going to be instead of something else.

People only watch these sports every four years because it's the Olympics. Otherwise, people would never ever watch them.

Thanks for speaking for all humans.

I mean, they televise world track and field, gymnastics, and swimming championships every year and they don't get discussed on this board. Sorry that I missed out on the multibillion dollar opportunity to televise the Monday Night B1G Field Hockey Game on ESPN instead of some dumb NFL game.

I mean, they televise world track and field, gymnastics, and swimming championships every year and they don't get discussed on this board. Sorry that I missed out on the multibillion dollar opportunity to televise the Monday Night B1G Field Hockey Game on ESPN instead of some dumb NFL game.

Great point, except nobody was suggesting gymnastics preempting football. There is niche market where these sports find markets, and it could grow. Doesn't mean that any of the major US Sports will be challenged here.

FWIW, there is a pro swimming league which has been around for a couple of years, it pays the swimmers and includes Dressel and Ledecky among others; there is a dedicated following. There is a market for cornhole and pickle-ball on TV. There are markets for these other sports too. There are 8 billion people on the planet and 350 million people in the US. So, it's OK to offer more than UGA v. Vandy on weekends in the Fall. Weird to me how you seem threatened when anyone suggests that there is a market for anything other the SEC football.

Back