• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

So when you turn on the TV and there's pickleball on, what do you do ? The same as 99.999% of other Americans ?

So when you turn on the TV and there's pickleball on, what do you do ? The same as 99.999% of other Americans ?

Correct unless there is some boring-ass Mizzou v. Vandy game on. In that case, pickleball becomes more interesting.

You all realize there is an Olympics channel that showcases Olympic sports year round right? The medium exists. It's literally called the "Olympics Channel". I highly doubt hyping the hell out of every random ping pong, track, swimming, fencing, rock climbing, etc. event is going to make it soar. People are interested in these games for a focused period of time because they know players and countries are bringing their best.

College softball gets ESPN airplay from time to time. Beach volleyball appears here and there on mainstream TV. Gymnastics championships are sometimes on Sunday afternoons on major channels.

My 11 year old daughter started competitive swimming a few year ago. I have gotten into watching ACC/NCAA championships with her along with the Worlds. It's pretty fun. I didn't know anything about it before she started. It's niche, but it seems like there are a ton of swim families out there.

at some point, having an 18-year-old not likely to play one snap, but making a million bucks, might harm locker room chemistry

at some point, having an 18-year-old not likely to play one snap, but making a million bucks, might harm locker room chemistry

As Neanderthals who did not get to attend an AAU university I’m not sure we will be expected to understand.

Remembering the articles about Andy Katzenmoyer’s OSU schedule to maintain eligibility-golf and AIDS awareness. Grueling.

PHP:

Makes you wonder how much effort will be given by a "poor old me scholarship" blocker for a money bags quarterback.

Yep, it's called human nature. "Love of money is the root of all evil": Apostle Paul Whether it's a $100 or a half-billion. (The ACC during the 2019-20 fiscal year generated $496,715,510 in revenue. Almost a half-billion dollars Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article253041348.html#storylink=cpy )

Still can’t tell if this is serious. Pretty much all low paid labor works on behalf of someone who makes much more money than they do.

OL have been blocking for more famous QB at every level since the beginning of the game. Walk-ons wouldn’t even exist based on your logic.

Last edited:
Olympic sports are only popular every four years because (wait for it) the powers that be haven’t tried to promote them otherwise.

NBC puts the Olympics on autopilot and they’re failing. There’s been no need to draw revenue from college swimming or volleyball or whatever so they haven’t tried.

I’m interested in hearing you out on this. One problem I have with your position is that it involves not promoting “white” athletes and their sports. That harms the funding of those sports and eliminates their potential for future income as professional athletes after college.

I don’t understand your statement. I’m for promoting sports and building an audience and I’m not sure how that would hurt funding.

Sorry. I’m on cell phone out of the country with sloooow service so I tried to keep it brief. Simply, disadvantaging the white group isn’t how our country typically runs.
Explanations I imagine you have are that people in power are resistant to change and don’t want to threaten their current product that has known value. Sometimes to the point of laziness and stupidity.

I am not saying you are against promoting those other sports. You are obviously advocating for.
I am saying it seems odd for their to be an additional revenue system that could successfully e developed that would initially disproportionately advantage white athletes further. If TPTB felt that had a chance to be successful why aren’t they going after it? They must think the money isn’t there or at least not want to risk it.
It seems odd that white people are hesitant to promote sports that would advantage white athletes.

Like I said before, I think the issue is that nobody wants to watch cross country meets on tv.

It’s not odd because the system has been based on funding those sports through basketball and football revenue that’s artificially high from not paying mostly Black labor.

What was the system based on before the ACC and SEC integrated?

If the history is the following:

1) these sports have been funded by basketball and football for years despite these sports existing for years (in fact preceding the development of basketball and football into the money sports they are today);
2) media and universities have seen a massive explosion in money related to basketball and football;
3) the other sports have still not garnered a massive following despite unprecedented levels of broadcasting and have continued to depend on basketball and football revenues for funding,

the conclusion cannot be . . . no one has figured out how to market these sports. There is a high probability with the conference networks that some of these "non-rev" sports could get more TV time and marketing. But the problem will still be cultural interest of somewhat niche sports.

Back