• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

Did they officially sign him? I didn't see that one Tweeted by Bojanges. I saw a few other NC players from random teams like UNC-W and UNC-C and was getting heated we hadn't had one yet.

@DonaldRoss - what do you suggest Wake Forest do? Other than teh obvious GET ORGANIZED. I don't think we need to worry about falling behind in the short term, we need a better plan for the future and need Wake Forest Administration resources dedicated to this. Maybe that's the future of the Deacon Club - getting NIL resources funded so our dollars go even farther.

ALSO - If we are Deacon Club members does that mean we cannot pay Wake Forest players via NIL stuff?

Saw it tweeted this morning. I thought it was by Conor but now I can’t find it anywhere.

Makes you wonder how much effort will be given by a "poor old me scholarship" blocker for a money bags quarterback.

Yep, it's called human nature. "Love of money is the root of all evil": Apostle Paul Whether it's a $100 or a half-billion. (The ACC during the 2019-20 fiscal year generated $496,715,510 in revenue. Almost a half-billion dollars Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article253041348.html#storylink=cpy )

Ironically the religious institution that Paul helped to found is the largest private landowner on Earth, worth tens of billions of dollars. Yet billions still live in poverty with no shelter, food and clean water.

Makes you wonder…

Ironically the religious institution that Paul helped to found is the largest private landowner on Earth, worth tens of billions of dollars. Yet billions still live in poverty with no shelter, food and clean water.

Makes you wonder…

The Reformation tried to address that. Maybe college sports needs the same. College for education and competition. Professional and similar professional sports for the rest.

Everybody but the players is a professional in college sports.

Everybody but the players is a professional in college sports.

Isn’t that the point though? If the NFL created a legitimate minor league (they could even play in the spring for ratings and TV money) it solves multiple problems on multiple levels.

^^ Why would they when they have a free one?

To answer the original question: Chris Paul will be paying Wake Forest's players. He just signed a 4 year, $120M deal.

To answer the original question: Chris Paul will be paying Wake Forest's players. He just signed a 4 year, $120M deal.

But supposedly only 2.5 years, or $75 million, guaranteed.

Isn’t that the point though? If the NFL created a legitimate minor league (they could even play in the spring for ratings and TV money) it solves multiple problems on multiple levels.

Too much expense. Where would they play? Who would pay the coaching staff? The NFL would really prefer that college continue to be the NFL minor league. The infrastructure is already set up.

Start a spring league and monetize it. They already have the stadiums and infrastructure.

Seemed like the appropriate thread for this tidbit: Travis Shaw, the #3 player in the country, DL out of Greensboro just received a 247 crystal ball prediction to commit to... NC... A&T. It could just be a troll job, but would be super interesting if they're about to shell out the big bucks for the kid.

Seemed like the appropriate thread for this tidbit: Travis Shaw, the #3 player in the country, DL out of Greensboro just received a 247 crystal ball prediction to commit to... NC... A&T. It could just be a troll job, but would be super interesting if they're about to shell out the big bucks for the kid.

Maybe he wants to stay at home and attend an HBCU.

The NFL has no need for a developmental league. There’s a ton of new talent available every year and almost everyone is disposable.

Simple answer to the original question. The same people who have always paid. I've never seen such panic in my life. Wake donators have given more than the entire alumni base of NC State for years. LOWF is a fucking disease.

Of the universities who have been more or less peers of WFU over the last decade or so, who has pulled markedly ahead and who has fallen markedly behind in recent times? Not sure there are many schools in either group. Nothing close to shaking out yet.

Now so can John Collins with his $125M deal.

The sport we loved is finished. The capitulation to greed is complete. I'm just glad I got the chance to enjoy it when it was sport for sport's sake.

Lol. Young athletes being compensated for their skills is greed rather than the adults continuing to take all the profits?!?

The sport we loved is finished. The capitulation to greed is complete. I'm just glad I got the chance to enjoy it when it was sport for sport's sake.

Lol. Young athletes being compensated for their skills is greed rather than the adults continuing to take all the profits?!?

My feelings around it all fall somewhere between these 2 posts. I have ZERO issues with the kids making some money, but I do think it'll reshape the college game in a way that'll be a much lesser product than times of the past.

All of that said, I do not think this will hurt Wake, at all.

For 5+ years now, I've been all in for every athlete getting a monthly stipend. No college kid, especially athletes generating revenue, should ever walk around without the money to order a pizza, go to putters, take their girl to the movies, etc.

It's the inconsistencies of it all that'll be tough to work around, IMO.

Back