• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

And with the inconsistencies will bring about locker room problems, jealously, players losing sight of what they're actually playing for, etc., IMO.

And with the inconsistencies will bring about locker room problems, jealously, players losing sight of what they're actually playing for, etc., IMO.

what is the difference between how the system will be vs how it is now with walk ons/partial scholarship/full scholarship players ect.

LOL what do you think these star athletes are playing for? It damned sure isn’t primarily their school.

what is the difference between how the system will be vs how it is now with walk ons/partial scholarship/full scholarship players ect.

In football and basketball, players are either on full scholarship or none (walk-on). No partial scholarships. Partial scholarships are awarded in baseball, track etc.

In football and basketball, players are either on full scholarship or none (walk-on). No partial scholarships. Partial scholarships are awarded in baseball, track etc.

Doesn't really impact the point though.

Doesn't really impact the point though.

I think.it does. Under the former system, all 85 scholarship players, from starting QB to got the same scholarship, cost of attendance etc. The walk-ons paid their own way. So two well defined tiers.

Under the new system with everyone out for himself, there will be disparities among all the scholarship players.

NIL money should all go in one bucket with all 85 players getting an equal cut. It's how you build team at this level with this system. It's just not going to work with a QB eating steak and the guys that block eating Raman noodles.

It’s amazing to me how much some people have bought into the lie of the “student athlete”.

NIL money should all go in one bucket with all 85 players getting an equal cut. It's how you build team at this level with this system. It's just not going to work with a QB eating steak and the guys that block eating Raman noodles.

I’m sure they will figure it out.

coaches' shoe money should cover at least some of it, you can also cut some administration, fat cats can divert some building money

leagues should agree to pool resources, just like they do with tv money and bowl money

and all players should be paid equally

Last edited:
coaches' shoe money should cover at least some of it, you can also cut some administration, fat cats can divert some building money

leagues should agree to pool resources, just like they do with tv money and bowl money

This is going to be fun. COMMUNIST.

The NCAA had their chance to develop a system where athletes got paid equality. They chose to keep cashing checks for themselves instead.

It’s amazing to me how much some people have bought into the lie of the “student athlete”.
Wake takes this model seriously, perhaps at the expense of athletic success. Other elite academic schools, like Stanford, do not.

This will create a black market (again). Just let the market set the rate. The kids understand that, or should very quickly.

Wake takes this model seriously, perhaps at the expense of athletic success. Other elite academic schools, like Stanford, do not.

That may be the most Wake Forest Sports post I’ve seen on this Wake Forest Sports board.

D'Erique King signed a NIL deal with the Florida Panthers. I wonder how those early season hockey games will impact his on field performance. Will he be prepping for his football game on Thursday, Oct 14 or doing personal appearances at the hockey game as the Panthers host the Penguins?

D'Erique King signed a NIL deal with the Florida Panthers. I wonder how those early season hockey games will impact his on field performance. Will he be prepping for his football game on Thursday, Oct 14 or doing personal appearances at the hockey game as the Panthers host the Penguins?

This isn't serious, right? The press release makes it seem like the Panthers are going to collect some young talented local college athletes to rep their brand. Probably some social media stuff, selling student ticket packages on campus, and such. D'Eriq King already graduated and probably has more time than most college athletes.

Seems like a good idea. Wake athletes could get deals like that with the Dash, Grasshoppers, the hockey team that plays at the Annex, etc. It's not NHL, but it's something.

Last edited:

Are we sure about this? I've heard of Stanford turning away (or not recruiting) multiple 4/5 star recruits who don't have the grades. And I've never heard of athletes there being able to cruise through the curriculum, UNC-style.

Are we sure about this? I've heard of Stanford turning away (or not recruiting) multiple 4/5 star recruits who don't have the grades. And I've never heard of athletes there being able to cruise through the curriculum, UNC-style.
I can't speak to every athlete or every program on campus, obviously, but I have heard personally from half a dozen former Stanford athletes that they were told explicitly, from Day One, that they were there for sports, not school. And this is in a non-revenue sport.

Contrast that with wake where tutors aren't allowed to touch athlete laptops and our official policy is that school always takes precedence over sports when there's a conflict.

Back