• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

This isn't serious, right? The press release makes it seem like the Panthers are going to collect some young talented local college athletes to rep their brand. Probably some social media stuff, selling student ticket packages on campus, and such. D'Eriq King already graduated and probably has more time than most college athletes.

Seems like a good idea. Wake athletes could get deals like that with the Dash, Grasshoppers, the hockey team that plays at the Annex, etc. It's not NHL, but it's something.

"King will appear at Panthers games, develop merchandise and concessions..."

Here is a link to the article in The Athletic:

So you honestly think King is going to show up at Florida Panthers games INSTEAD of playing QB for Miami?

I heard Roberson was gonna be handing out Cajun Chicken biscuits every Saturday this Fall at the Bojangles on NW Blvd.

I didn't realize NIL was a thing until earlier this year but apparently Wake opened up a program to help students capitalize on their NAME IMAGE & LIKENESS in back in October 2020???? if that's possible. (https://godeacs.com/news/2020/10/12/baseball-wake-forest-athletics-announces-stride-program.aspx). As part of that initiative they have a partnership with OPENDORSE (https://godeacs.com/news/2020/10/13/stride-opendorse.aspx). It seems like we were ahead of the curve on those fronts but I'd love to see more links posted with athletes who are capitalizing right now.

Somebody smarter than me is going to need to explain to me how we will have college football and basketball a couple years from now. And if so, what will the model be? I haven't seen anything at all on this thread that points me in that direction.

I didn't realize NIL was a thing until earlier this year but apparently Wake opened up a program to help students capitalize on their NAME IMAGE & LIKENESS in back in October 2020???? if that's possible. (https://godeacs.com/news/2020/10/12/baseball-wake-forest-athletics-announces-stride-program.aspx). As part of that initiative they have a partnership with OPENDORSE (https://godeacs.com/news/2020/10/13/stride-opendorse.aspx). It seems like we were ahead of the curve on those fronts but I'd love to see more links posted with athletes who are capitalizing right now.

I posted earlier a link that UNC had done that and were I think the first to do so, according to the article. I'm sure every college will do that. If you can't beat 'em you sure better join 'em.

Somebody smarter than me is going to need to explain to me how we will have college football and basketball a couple years from now. And if so, what will the model be? I haven't seen anything at all on this thread that points me in that direction.

Yeah, everyone hammers home their opinions on why the kids should or shouldn't be getting paid, but no one has a clue how this thing will actually shake out. And your question in this post is valid.

I ultimately see a farm system similar to MLB.

So you honestly think King is going to show up at Florida Panthers games INSTEAD of playing QB for Miami?

What I am wondering is where he will be the Thursday night BEFORE a Saturday game. Will he be at a Panthers game grabbing those Benjamins or will he be studying film on his upcoming opponent?

What I am wondering is where he will be the Thursday night BEFORE a Saturday game. Will he be at a Panthers game grabbing those Benjamins or will he be studying film on his upcoming opponent?
Or, like, studying for his 9am exam on Friday. Or are we past that

We have plenty of models for paying people to play basketball and football.

Patience. Remember your education. My guess is we had this figured out long ago. The smart people are in charge. You guys are short changing the best AD in the ACC.

I imagine most athletes are at bars or parties or just chilling with friends on Thursday nights before Saturday home games. King could be at a hockey game instead. I don’t see the big deal.

I am going to make the first call for an ogboards sponsored NIL player. We donate, choose finalists, tell their stories, and hold a vote for that sweet sweet cash. Probably not looking at the starters and top players for men's bball and football. Go smaller with those payments. We'd be helping poor college kids with beer and weed money.

I am going to make the first call for an ogboards sponsored NIL player. We donate, choose finalists, tell their stories, and hold a vote for that sweet sweet cash. Probably not looking at the starters and top players for men's bball and football. Go smaller with those payments. We'd be helping poor college kids with beer and weed money.

In. Would be dumb if we didn't.

I'm in for $20

Still waiting to find out what happened to the fundraiser money.

Yo I’m already on record suggesting the OGBoards sponsorship. Just waiting on someone else to make it happen. I’m just an idea guy. Not an execution guy.

And yeah what happened with the fundraiser

Fundraiser preliminary results are found on the technical support forum, fundraiser results thread, page one.

Lol. Young athletes being compensated for their skills is greed rather than the adults continuing to take all the profits?!?

No - milk-churning amateur athletics for huge profits is what led to this. I simply point out that it has come to its natural conclusion. There is a lot of value in amateur athletics - it's true sport, after all. We'll get back to it. It all comes full circle, in the end.

Back