• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

There will still be a need for the Deacon Club to continue to fund the basic scholarships for Wake athletes.

I agree there will be some (much less) need. But the reality is the vast majority of fans don’t care about non-revenue sports. We were forced to chip in to this bigger pool to support them if we wanted to help the men’s basketball team. The NCAA & Title IX forced this.

Now, these 3rd party funds are not subject to this. We can give all of our money to our 1 or 2 sets of athletes to the exclusion of others. Quickly folks will figure that out and that will be that.

Unless women’s field hockey has a benefactor at a school, they are cooked. Likewise, there is just no need for person X on the Deacon Club payroll. We need to pay folks to run this fund. That is what will happen nationwide.

I’m concerned about Wake Forest because it is often stuck in the past. Hell, Ron Wellman still thought ticket scalping was illegal. While our competitors were profiting off stubhub, we were stuck in the Kennedy Presidency. I’m afraid that could happen with this too and then we will be coming from behind once again.

DR is right. People thinking this was just going to be about a few players earning money off their tiktok or IG accounts are wrong. There are going to be fundamental changes to college sports.

A young rich turd named Schottenstein in Columbus, OH had been lobbying the business community and government officials for the state to pass NIL legislation for months. (Schottenstein of the Schottenstein Center where the basketball Buckeyes and Columbus Blue Jackets play.) He regularly posts pictures of himself having dinner with Urban Meyer and Ohio State football players in pretty tight-knit settings. Ohio's NIL law went into effect July 1 joining a bunch of other states, including FL, GA, and other southern states. They know what's up. They're going to start paying players directly.

Legal pay to play is here.

Ohio State football coach Ryan Day lobbied heavily for the change, saying Ohio schools would be at a recruiting disadvantage without it.

https://www.columbusjewishnews.com/news/sports/schottenstein-helps-players-score-with-ability-to-be-compensated/article_7bb17d0e-de9e-11eb-8863-c7d42bb1228a.html?fbclid=IwAR2AzE87st4yHxwZnoVmpnUigvIXNzHpaHjABthYM5jbp8bF9hcMNh13tL0

DR is right. People thinking this was just going to be about a few players earning money off their tiktok or IG accounts are wrong. There are going to be fundamental changes to college sports.

A young rich turd named Schottenstein in Columbus, OH had been lobbying the business community and government officials for the state to pass NIL legislation for months. (Schottenstein of the Schottenstein Center where the basketball Buckeyes and Columbus Blue Jackets play.) He regularly posts pictures of himself having dinner with Urban Meyer and Ohio State football players in pretty tight-knit settings. Ohio's NIL law went into effect July 1 joining a bunch of other states, including FL, GA, and other southern states. They know what's up. They're going to start paying players directly.

https://www.columbusjewishnews.com/news/sports/schottenstein-helps-players-score-with-ability-to-be-compensated/article_7bb17d0e-de9e-11eb-8863-c7d42bb1228a.html?fbclid=IwAR2AzE87st4yHxwZnoVmpnUigvIXNzHpaHjABthYM5jbp8bF9hcMNh13tL0

And college sports as we have known it is over. And I'm almost certain that Wake will be left even further behind in big-time athletics.

Are development offices going to morph into some hybrid of fundraising and direct sales? I assume the businesses and corporations don’t have to deal with the athlete directly unless they want to? Is the development office the go-between broker?

If you’re a donor who owns a business, why would you make a pure donation anymore other than for tax purposes?

Also if I had a job of selling ad space in the football program or any number of places, I’d be concerned that those dollars are now just going to go to the athletes directly.

We can't pay a recruit, but once they sign the NLI (conveniently confusing with the NIL), we can pay them? Or do they have to enroll or start classes?

My initial question is what about Promise to Pay. Hey, top 10 recruit, we will pay you $200,000, if you come to Wake.

Also, what if that player gets the money, then transfers? Quits?

Gets kicked off the team for pulling an OJ? It will need to be egregious to get kicked off, the old stuff like dealing meth or gambling is no big deal now, coaches aren't going to kick you off the team...might piss off your sponsors.

I guess the traditional Deacon Club as an arm of the athletic department will get cut back greatly. In its place, it seems, would be a new private entity. Who is looking for a new job? Seems like there will be CEOs of these private organizations for all P5 schools quickly.

amateur sports, baby

The Blue Jackets don't play in the Schottenstein Center. They've got their own very hockey centric venue downtown in Nationwide arena.

Columbus is a big city in a football mad state. Of course local businesses are going support Ohio State football. Lots of big businesses in the city to funnel money to the players for NIL. Unfortunately, I see Wake getting left way behind the football factories and the major markets like LA, New York, Atlanta etc. I hope Wake and other similarly situated schools are able to adapt to be able to compete on this level.

The Blue Jackets don't play in the Schottenstein Center. They've got their own very hockey centric venue downtown in Nationwide arena.

Columbus is a big city in a football mad state. Of course local businesses are going support Ohio State football. Lots of big businesses in the city to funnel money to the players for NIL. Unfortunately, I see Wake getting left way behind the football factories and the major markets like LA, New York, Atlanta etc. I hope Wake and other similarly situated schools are able to adapt to be able to compete on this level.

My bad. No one cares about hockey.

There are roughly 800 colleges and universities in the U.S. who compete at some level in football. If Wake is either forced out b/c it can't compete for top-tier player$, or if (ideally) it decides on its own that "big time" no longer fits its academic mission, we can still have a competitive program, just at a different level. I think this will all sort itself out over the next 4-6 years.

There are roughly 800 colleges and universities in the U.S. who compete at some level in football. If Wake is either forced out b/c it can't compete for top-tier player$, or if (ideally) it decides on its own that "big time" no longer fits its academic mission, we can still have a competitive program, just at a different level. I think this will all sort itself out over the next 4-6 years.

Yeah, no big deal. I look forward to leaving the ACC and having Elon become our new big rival.

Ah yes, this is completely different than what happened in Alabama, California, or every single other state that has passed NIL. When Michigan football hasn't beaten tOSU in 3512 days, fans will grasp at straws to make them the boogeyman.

Ah yes, this is completely different than what happened in Alabama, California, or every single other state that has passed NIL. When Michigan football hasn't beaten tOSU in 3512 days, fans will grasp at straws to make them the boogeyman.

This is the problem with tOSU fans. The post had nothing to do with Michigan at all. It's simply an article I saw about a guy I know related to pay for play in college sports that I decided to post on a Wake Forest message board about Wake Forest sports. I even placed the article in context saying other states had passed similar legislation.

Get a grip.

The road to unintended consequences is paved with good intents.

Just like the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit, this is not going to end up the way most people want. Two decades ago O'Bannon wanted himself (and other student athletes) to be paid for using their image in video games. He won the lawsuit, but instead of getting paid, EA sports just shut down all college video games.

By opening up NIL reimbursement without any regulation, college football and basketball will go "wild west" for a few years, and then they'll eventually separate from schools and become semi-pro leagues that no one cares about. Wake, and essentially all D1 schools, will ride this out for a few years, and then eventually football and basketball will separate from the schools. College soccer, baseball, and other sports will gain popularity, and then about 1-2 decades after that football and basketball will want to get back in to the scholastic sports competition. The athletes, understandably, want to get paid, but this will eventually result in college football and basketball becoming obsolete.

Not all models work in a capitalist market.

as much as I get into Deacs sports, especially football these days, should they die -- or effectively die by being too small to survive -- due to the new landscape of player payment I won't be that sad

Pinning this solely on donors/boosters is shortsighted. Surely, our AD has seen this coming for months/years and prepared an elaborate platform, perhaps in concert with our business school, to help athletes market themselves and obtain sponsorships. If not, and we take a passive approach, simply leaning on the same handful of wealthy, enthusiastic boosters that have been integral to facility upgrades, I agree we are likely destined to fall out of P5 competitiveness. This will never be an advantage for Wake compared to the Bamas/USCs/tOSUs of the world, but I think we can put together a better NIL "product" for athletes than other schools like NCSU, Miss St, West Virginia, Purdue, etc. etc.

This is the problem with tOSU fans. The post had nothing to do with Michigan at all. It's simply an article I saw about a guy I know related to pay for play in college sports that I decided to post on a Wake Forest message board about Wake Forest sports. I even placed the article in context saying other states had passed similar legislation.

Get a grip.

Just an article you saw eh? Big daily reader of columbusjewishnews.com? It's not like there haven't been hundreds/thousands of articles posted on a national/state level across major news sites.

Of course a football crazed state like Ohio wasn't going to sit back and watch other states fast-track NIL and get left behind. Maybe some posters here were shocked by that news, though.

We need an ogboards PayPal and/or venmo. We can funnel scores of dollars to Forbes' top targets. Imagine getting a 2 or 3 digit check from ogboards.com ! Hand delivered by the alumni mom group of course !!

Back