• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

Just an article you saw eh? Big daily reader of columbusjewishnews.com? It's not like there haven't been hundreds/thousands of articles posted on a national/state level across major news sites.

Of course a football crazed state like Ohio wasn't going to sit back and watch other states fast-track NIL and get left behind. Maybe some posters here were shocked by that news, though.

This is truly insane.

At least we have all the great memories of the championships of the past decade to live on once we can no longer compete at all in the new landscape, right? On the bright side, all 183 remaining Wake fans will get a good seat when we play CPCC for the state championship. Fuck you, Ron Wellman! Fuck you, John Currie!

Hell, CPCC has as many full time students as Wake Forest. I don't know if we can compete.

This is truly insane.

What's insane (relatively, for message board crazies) is digging for a "gotcha" anti-tOSU story to post on a completely unrelated Wake sports thread, finding one on columbusjewishnews.com, posting it, not even realizing the source, and then deflecting when called out on it. Michigan football fans are like the worst of Duke basketball fans, without the winning.

Moving on, I saw on social media that the AD hosted a webinar with student athletes on NIL this week. Would be very curious, per my last post, what plans Wake has in place to not only compete, but outpace peer institutions in NIL. Anyone have any insight into this? If the plan is to simply "empower" athletes to do it on their own, we'll all be very disappointed.

What's insane (relatively, for message board crazies) is digging for a "gotcha" anti-tOSU story to post on a completely unrelated Wake sports thread, finding one on columbusjewishnews.com, posting it, not even realizing the source, and then deflecting when called out on it. Michigan football fans are like the worst of Duke basketball fans, without the winning.

Moving on, I saw on social media that the AD hosted a webinar with student athletes on NIL this week. Would be very curious, per my last post, what plans Wake has in place to not only compete, but outpace peer institutions in NIL. Anyone have any insight into this? If the plan is to simply "empower" athletes to do it on their own, we'll all be very disappointed.

Let me get this straight. You think I went digging for anti-OSU information related to NIL and found an article on Columbus Jewish News Monthly to support an anti-OSU post on a Wake Forest message board where OSU was never even mentioned? lol man.

Edited to add that I literally laughed out loud in my office when I saw your rep comment where you decided your post wasn't enough and decided to leave the same content as a rep comment.

Last edited:
This is the type of thing that always gets LOWF rubes worked up into a frenzy. WF is not competing with and never has competed with tOSU or Bama for football players. The same types of players that those schools have recruited will still go to those schools now that new NIL rules are in place. Similarly, the same players that WF has recruited in every sport will still want to go to WF. If two years from now, there is a report that WF is the worst among Power V schools in NIL generating operating opportunities, then people can freak out, but don't see that happening. WF always finds a way to more than keep pace in ways to compete with the vast majority of Power V programs in every sport, and to attract the athletes to compete. That is not changing because local Columbus businesses are trying to throw cash to tOSU football players.

This is the type of thing that always gets LOWF rubes worked up into a frenzy. WF is not competing with and never has competed with tOSU or Bama for football players. The same types of players that those schools have recruited will still go to those schools now that new NIL rules are in place. Similarly, the same players that WF has recruited in every sport will still want to go to WF. If two years from now, there is a report that WF is the worst among Power V schools in NIL generating operating opportunities, then people can freak out, but don't see that happening. WF always finds a way to more than keep pace in ways to compete with the vast majority of Power V programs in every sport, and to attract the athletes to compete. That is not changing because local Columbus businesses are trying to throw cash to tOSU football players.

Our flagship/flagshit program has been one of the worst, if not the worst, in PV over the last 11 years. 11 years.

Our flagship/flagshit program has been one of the worst, if not the worst, in PV over the last 11 years. 11 years.

That wasn't due to anything other than back to back shit hires by our aging AD.

Forbes will keep pace and we have enough deep pockets who love Wake basketball that will shell out the necessary cash to keep pace.

Let me get this straight. You think I went digging for anti-OSU information related to NIL and found an article on Columbus Jewish News Monthly to support an anti-OSU post on a Wake Forest message board where OSU was never even mentioned? lol man.

Edited to add that I literally laughed out loud in my office when I saw your rep comment where you decided your post wasn't enough and decided to leave the same content as a rep comment.

Yep. 100%. Not the first time you've done stuff like this.

And it was a positive rep. Glad to have brightened your day!

Pinning this solely on donors/boosters is shortsighted. Surely, our AD has seen this coming for months/years and prepared an elaborate platform, perhaps in concert with our business school, to help athletes market themselves and obtain sponsorships. If not, and we take a passive approach, simply leaning on the same handful of wealthy, enthusiastic boosters that have been integral to facility upgrades, I agree we are likely destined to fall out of P5 competitiveness. This will never be an advantage for Wake compared to the Bamas/USCs/tOSUs of the world, but I think we can put together a better NIL "product" for athletes than other schools like NCSU, Miss St, West Virginia, Purdue, etc. etc.

Good posts. The LOWF approach is to look at every change in the NCAA landscape and think that will be what forces Wake leave the ACC and finally take it's rightful place vs. Davidson and Elon. The Wake approach should be to see where we can get an advantage from every change and exploit it. Be a leader, not a follower.

By opening up NIL reimbursement without any regulation, college football and basketball will go "wild west" for a few years, and then they'll eventually separate from schools and become semi-pro leagues that no one cares about. Wake, and essentially all D1 schools, will ride this out for a few years, and then eventually football and basketball will separate from the schools. College soccer, baseball, and other sports will gain popularity, and then about 1-2 decades after that football and basketball will want to get back in to the scholastic sports competition. The athletes, understandably, want to get paid, but this will eventually result in college football and basketball becoming obsolete.

I've long advocated for this course, and our athletic department wisely (and relatively quietly) started several years ago to direct funds into endowments for individual Olympic sports in an effort, I suppose, to make them self-sustaining in the long run.

I'm not so certain about the long-term future of scholastic football and basketball, but once they are no longer the only or primary showcase (and training ground) for future professional athletes I could see (as you predict, rafi) some schools returning their "revenue sports" to the amateur model. Could even signal a return for traditional, regional rivalries.

Last edited:
Good posts. The LOWF approach is to look at every change in the NCAA landscape and think that will be what forces Wake leave the ACC and finally take it's rightful place vs. Davidson and Elon. The Wake approach should be to see where we can get an advantage from every change and exploit it. Be a leader, not a follower.

100%

The LOWF approach is to look at every change in the NCAA landscape and think that will be what forces Wake leave the ACC and finally take it's rightful place vs. Davidson and Elon. The Wake approach should be to see where we can get an advantage from every change and exploit it. Be a leader, not a follower.

This post should just be linked by a bot every time somebody uses the phrase "LOWF".

This is what wake has always done and why we've stayed competitive in a group of conferences with school enrollments and endowments many times our own.

This post should just be linked by a bot every time somebody uses the phrase "LOWF".

This is what wake has always done and why we've stayed competitive in a group of conferences with school enrollments and endowments many times our own.

sure - but "competitive" means different things, depending on one's perspective

WF has had multiple long stretches of not being competitive in football within the ACC, at a level that would have been deemed completely unacceptable by most other conference institutions, for example

Again, we have not been competitive in our flagship sport in over a decade. You can call that LOWF or reality, but under no circumstances have we "stayed competitive".

Again, we have not been competitive in our flagship sport in over a decade. You can call that LOWF or reality, but under no circumstances have we "stayed competitive".

Of course you're right, but during that time, we've significantly improved facilities, sports science/nutrition, etc. We aren't at a competitive disadvantage in basketball, and hopefully NIL will have no effect (or a positive effect) on that.

Wake has hung on to ACC affiliation as an institution by following.

WF's record has sucked in basketball since 2010. From a LOWF perspective, it's because WF simply cannot compete on a higher level in basketball any more. To me, that's BS. There are so many other programs with resources that are similar to WF that have excelled in basketball (including recent champ Baylor) that the more likely explanation is that WF's last 3 basketball hires (yes, I'm including Dino) were simply incompetent. With that said, I'm all in on Forbes. Liked him since Day 1, and like him even more now. If Forbes fails at WF (which I don't see happening), then a reassessment may be required.

Back