• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

If Wake Forest cannot navigate this changing landscape, then it doesn't have the law school and business school it says it has.

So, let's say Putter's wants to use Donovan Greene's name, image or likeness in an ad campaign, and they agree to a price. Does WF have to agree to allow the use of the WF logo or a shot of Greene in a WF uniform? If so, can they just use a lame generic uniform (like you see in some advertisements to avoid involving WF in the ad)?

So, let's say Putter's wants to use Donovan Greene's name, image or likeness in an ad campaign, and they agree to a price. Does WF have to agree to allow the use of the WF logo or a shot of Greene in a WF uniform? If so, can they just use a lame generic uniform (like you see in some advertisements to avoid involving WF in the ad)?

No way this "Name, Image and Likeness" extends to use of school copyrighted stuff, at least not without permission of the school. As I understand it, the NCAA is allowing players to be compensated for use of their own individual stuff, not giving them carte blanche to use school copyright stuff.

If Wake Forest cannot navigate this changing landscape, then it doesn't have the law school and business school it says it has.
Not saying an individual wouldn't commit some time and resources to this problem, but the law professors and business school professors got other stuff to do than to volunteer their time to write policies for the athletic department

Not saying an individual wouldn't commit some time and resources to this problem, but the law professors and business school professors got other stuff to do than to volunteer their time to write policies for the athletic department

Law and business school professors don't do university service? President Wente could form a President's Committee on Student Economic Opportunity and bring in faculty from across the university to come up with a policy and advising framework that would apply to student-athletes and all students.

So what do they get? Cash? Free barbecue?

"Thank you for your service."

Law and business school professors don't do university service? President Wente could form a President's Committee on Student Economic Opportunity and bring in faculty from across the university to come up with a policy and advising framework that would apply to student-athletes and all students.

"Thank you for your service."

Tim Davis in the law school is a sports law expert and he teaches an NCAA Rules Compliance and Enforcement class (though I'm not sure how often it is taught). It seems like it could actually be a great practicum for students in that class to do something with the Wake student athletes on this NIL stuff.

Instead of the student athletes doing those dumb Deacon Club thank you calls, they're just going to just start calling us up and ask us to Venmo them a grand here and there.

Tim Davis in the law school is a sports law expert and he teaches an NCAA Rules Compliance and Enforcement class (though I'm not sure how often it is taught). It seems like it could actually be a great practicum for students in that class to do something with the Wake student athletes on this NIL stuff.

That would be a good setup. Teach law students on NIL compliance and pay those law students to advise student-athletes.

Like everything else, lawyers will find a way to make money off this...

This is a great example of where I see this thing going. For Donovan Greene and 99% of college athletes, their NIL is of minimum value to most businesses; i.e. I don't see Donovan Greene's name on Putter's website selling them any more prime ribs in a typical week. And that's not a knock on DG or the majority of high-level players such as he, just the reality that only the Zion's of the world have a truly marketable image. But what it does allow is for the owner of Putters, hopefully a huge Wake fan, to syphon some $$ to our players as a means to support the program. For example, say a die-hard Alabama supporter is sitting on millions from past investments, but no longer has an active business to promote. He simply puts a lemonade stand on his front lawn and pays big $$ to have Tide players' NIL attached to it.
The big boy supporters who live and die by what their football and basketball teams do will figure it out. If our "big boys" get on board and follow suit I'll be very appreciative, but if at some point they say F-You to the whole scheme and instead divert those $$ to Habit For Humanity, I'll tip my cap to that as well.

Yes, this sounds like it would be a useful working group.

I was responding to the notion, oft deployed on the boards, that the law school or business school operate (or should operate) as a policy thinktank for the university as a whole.

Good info, thanks.

I'm thinking, with the exception of stars on basketball and football, most of the attention to Olympic sports will be paid to team sponsorships: like field hockey wearing Dewey's Bakery tshirts during their warmups and any payments split across the entire group, benchwarmers and all. Is that feasible under the policy? Otherwise I don't really see most Olympic sport athletes as being particularly enticing to local businesses, especially if they can't wear their WF jerseys.

No way this "Name, Image and Likeness" extends to use of school copyrighted stuff, at least not without permission of the school. As I understand it, the NCAA is allowing players to be compensated for use of their own individual stuff, not giving them carte blanche to use school copyright stuff.

But schools would be stepping on their own dick if they got in the way players getting paid to be a part of their program

Yes, this sounds like it would be a useful working group.

I was responding to the notion, oft deployed on the boards, that the law school or business school operate (or should operate) as a policy thinktank for the university as a whole.

I don’t think there’s that much difference between the two. Just a matter of utilizing knowledge on campus.

If scholarship athletes are allowed to profit due to the 5 year grant they receive, then the grant itself is the source of their ability to produce this income, and should be subject to income tax. If we are going down this road, let's get real. You want to run things as a business, then let's make it tax fair to everyone one. You can't take a $50 grand perk that allows you to earn taxable income without taxing the primary reason you have the ability to earn that money.

Back