• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

The obsession of a subset of OWGs over college athletes paying taxes on their scholarship is a really bizarre thing

It has been literal decades since both of our flagship programs have looked as good as they do this upcoming season. Instead of being excited and getting on board with the baller ass coaches we have, so many of you motherfuckers are just slathering potential future failure all over yourselves like pigs in mud. Can’t help being a miserable fucking fanbase.

So we should be expecting a Final Four? No? Sweet Sixteen? No? Round of 32? No? At-large bid? No? Play in game? Oh, not that either? There is nothing to BBD like gagging on the sweet success of being the #69 team in the nation.

This power play athletes think they have is going to be an eye opener. If you think institutions are going to sit back and allow 18 year olds dictate how things are run at universities, you are clueless. This move by The Supremes is a beginning. Powerful people at powerful institutions with law schools and those with taxing authority are absolutely not going to allow teenagers to run the show. Blowback is coming.

I laugh at people who think this USA is going to allow a 19 year old QB at Alabama to make $500,000 a year using an Alabama 'ship and a 150 years of legacy to gin cash.

So we should be expecting a Final Four? No? Sweet Sixteen? No? Round of 32? No? At-large bid? No? Play in game? Oh, not that either? There is nothing to BBD like gagging on the sweet success of being the #69 team in the nation.

I am absolutely expecting at least at large bid this year. Hoping for sweet 16. Higher expectations next year.

This power play athletes think they have is going to be an eye opener. If you think institutions are going to sit back and allow 18 year olds dictate how things are run at universities, you are clueless. This move by The Supremes is a beginning. Powerful people at powerful institutions with law schools and those with taxing authority are absolutely not going to allow teenagers to run the show. Blowback is coming.

How many 18 year olds have you talked to who think they are going to dictate how things are run at universities?

Again, I think a lot of the value for basketball players is going to come from being in the ACC and playing on ESPN. Well known players on the national stage are going to get national endorsements.

It is a progression 2&2, surely you have been around college sports enough to know that. I realize the last 10 years have jaded us tremendously but it will take time. Look at our basketball history in total.

Lol, “power grab!” The NCAA and the Universities should have figured out how to give these kids fair compensation for their service to the universities decades ago. If they’d been proactive, maybe we would not be on the verge a wild west free for all.

Again, I think a lot of the value for basketball players is going to come from being in the ACC and playing on ESPN. Well known players on the national stage are going to get national endorsements.

How many college basketball players on ESPN are well known in the national stage? Has there been one since Zion?

I think athletes with big social media followings are going to do better than the athletes on ESPN currently.

I am absolutely expecting at least at large bid this year. Hoping for sweet 16. Higher expectations next year.

Bro....I hope you're right...

Forbes is NCOY if we make the NCAAT this year. Sweet 16 and we go ahead and put the statue up. I just don't think we will have a consistent go to scorer that can create a shot consistent against top programs.

That said, I expect to more than double our win total from last season.

At least Wake basketball and golf have some relevant pros to help generate cash for the players. Bring Zalatoris to Putters with the top 2 men’s golfers, have a paid event and sell group autographs. Sell Chris Paul autographed basketballs plus the starting 5. Pros “donate” their take to charity so the players can split all the dough.

I laugh at people who think this USA is going to allow a 19 year old QB at Alabama to make $500,000 a year using an Alabama 'ship and a 150 years of legacy to gin cash.

Hercy Miller signed a $2M endorsement deal before playing at Tennessee State just from being Master P’s kid.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...rsement-deal-tennessee-state-ncaa/7873411002/

I’m curious for what this means for prospects who manage to make a name for themselves like National Spelling Bee winner, Zaila Avant-Garde. She’s already got name recognition. Before July 1, she wouldn’t have been able to cash in if she wanted to go to college to play basketball. Now she can earn cash from her dribbling videos and mixtapes, do endorsements, etc.

The obsession of a subset of OWGs over college athletes paying taxes on their scholarship is a really bizarre thing

Can't quite put my finger OaN why... I'm sure there is an underlying reason that I'll figure out one of these days.

Taxes for thee and not for me.

Josh Hartle withdrew from the draft and immediately becomes a top-3 current athlete at Wake. Not sure who I'd put ahead of him, given he's turning down presumably millions to come play for us.

I'd he surprised if he doesn't profit from NIL in some capacity.

I know we have some star soccer/tennis/golf guys, but there's no one, aside from maybe Roberson and Brock Wilken, who has a higher pro ceiling currently from hoops/football/baseball.

Back