• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

Having a high pro ceiling does not necessarily mean high earning potential from advertisers.

Baseball players with a "high pro ceiling" are a dime a dozen to the general public. MLB just has a lot more dimes than most. Do more than a few dozen MLB players have major endorsement deals?

Baseball players with a "high pro ceiling" are a dime a dozen to the general public. MLB just has a lot more dimes than most. Do more than a few dozen MLB players have major endorsement deals?

Not many have national major endorsement deals but I would guess that a lot of them have local endorsement deals that pay very well. I imagine this would be what most college players can expect

Sure. Just saying that I don’t think you can assume a pro baseball prospect is going to get singled out for endorsement deals when few pros get singled out for major deals. Even the pros mostly get local deals for being on the local team.

How many college basketball players on ESPN are well known in the national stage? Has there been one since Zion?

I think athletes with big social media followings are going to do better than the athletes on ESPN currently.

I have no idea because I stopped watching. But I’m sure Chris Paul, JJ Redick, Duhon, Sheldon Williams, and players form that era would have all made bank.

How many college basketball players on ESPN are well known in the national stage? Has there been one since Zion?

I think athletes with big social media followings are going to do better than the athletes on ESPN currently.

I have no idea because I stopped watching. But I’m sure Chris Paul, JJ Redick, Duhon, Sheldon Williams, and players form that era would have all made bank.

The obsession of a subset of OWGs over college athletes paying taxes on their scholarship is a really bizarre thing

It's the same group of people who pitch a fit about inheritance taxes.

I think the college bball player most likely to do well with NIL this year is Paige Bueckers. After that, off the top of my head, Johnny Juzang and Drew Timme could do well.

Wake Forest athletes could benefit from regional advertising. They attend the only Power conference school in the Triad, with a population of 1.7 million people. Duke, UNC and NCSU compete for advertising dollars in the Triangle with a population of 2.1 million. The key is to dominate the Triad, no easy accomplishment. It's past time for the university to emphasize their ties to the community at large. A new university president, a fairly new AD and two accomplished, personal coaches can make a difference if they look beyond the Wake Forest community and focus on their role in the Triad.

Im not excited about the athletes who already have full scholarships receiving extra money, but it would be nice for tennis players, for example, most of whom receive fractions of a full ride while putting in 30 hours a week of practice, receive something to help pay their tuition.

Students with full scholarships can make additional money.

It is a progression 2&2, surely you have been around college sports enough to know that. I realize the last 10 years have jaded us tremendously but it will take time. Look at our basketball history in total.

We have 1 Final Four in our history. Along with 90 other schools. Our last ACC Championship was 25 years ago. We are who our record says we are. A mediocre program, at best, that is going to struggle even more to compete in this new landscape that leverages numbers that we don't have.

Of interest:

Saw where Saban said the Bama QB was already approaching a Mil in NIL deals. Wake is screwed, but we were anyways I guess.

Apparently, several WF football players have NIL deals in place.

We will have several athletes with NIL deals, but we won't have any reach anything close to what we will hear out of Duke, UNC, Clemson, SEC schools etc.

These mostly seem to be from random companies. Are there gonna be like Nike shoe deals and stuff?

These mostly seem to be from random companies. Are there gonna be like Nike shoe deals and stuff?

I don't believe you can sign deals that directly compete with an existing sponsorship at your school, so no, don't think you'll see any NIKE shoe type deals. Either the school is already a NIKE school (in which case why would NIKE decide to just an individual more money), or their apparel deal is with one of their competitors (Reebok, Under Armour, etc..), so an individual athlete wouldn't be able to sign a deal with NIKE in that instance.

I don't believe you can sign deals that directly compete with an existing sponsorship at your school, so no, don't think you'll see any NIKE shoe type deals. Either the school is already a NIKE school (in which case why would NIKE decide to just an individual more money), or their apparel deal is with one of their competitors (Reebok, Under Armour, etc..), so an individual athlete wouldn't be able to sign a deal with NIKE in that instance.

Does this mean you can sign a deal with a shoe company that correlates with your school's sponsorship? If so, look for shoe companies to be bidding on recruits, particularly basketball players, with the promise of a big Nike deal (or Adidas or ReeBok) if you sign with one of their schools. Essentially, what happened with Zion under the table. Now, it will be public.

This thing will end up a disaster IMO. There will be a legit level of NIL for say a Trevor Lawrence, i.e. his associating with a business would bring true marketing/p.r. value to said business, and/or the star QB establishes his own site to profit off people who want to visit it; fair enough. But where it will get sleazy, and teams like Wake will end up on the short end, is super boosters who create lame NIL opportunities for that QB's 2-deep O-line in order to protect The Franchise QB.

Back