• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

I would love to see this turn the landscape on its ear. Traditional powers in rural areas fade away, unable to compete with the overall $$ available to programs near rich, major urban centers. Alabama fizzles. The San Jose State Spartans emerge as a consistent national power. The Old Guard whines and moans. It would be beautiful.

P.S. Wake will continue to be mediocre at best.

Wake getting screwed depends on how much it effects the impact of scholarship limits. These teams with money are already getting their pick of top recruits. They just have a finite number of ‘ships to give so some of the talent flows down to the next tier schools. We already are not competing for their first choices. They question is whether NIL can convince top talent to walk on. Then we don’t even get the leftovers we normally could.

I've yet to see a Wake athlete announce what seems like a sizeable or "cool" NIL deal. That's a bit troubling.

What would be the most "Wake Forest" NIL deal? Brooks Brothers? Surely Cahill & Swain has stepped up by now.

I would love to see this turn the landscape on its ear. Traditional powers in rural areas fade away, unable to compete with the overall $$ available to programs near rich, major urban centers. Alabama fizzles. The San Jose State Spartans emerge as a consistent national power. The Old Guard whines and moans. It would be beautiful.

P.S. Wake will continue to be mediocre at best.

Haha all of this. Especially the last part.

What would be the most "Wake Forest" NIL deal? Brooks Brothers? Surely Cahill & Swain has stepped up by now.

Putters, but that won't happen.

So probably one of our guys promoting Fratelli's or Village Tavern, given both restaurants ties to Wake.

Putters and Wake Forest Golf is a natural fit.

Drs. Chermak and Hanson or the Law Offices of Timothy D. Welborn "He's There When You Need Him"

These mostly seem to be from random companies. Are there gonna be like Nike shoe deals and stuff?

Other than getting a foot in the door with someone who may become a pro superstar down the road (not likely in the case of any of our players), what the hell would Nike have to gain from giving any of our individual players a shoe deal? Is there one single consumer who would buy a pair of Nikes because Sam Hartman is wearing Nikes? The answer to that would be No. That would be the worst ROI in Nike's history. In terms of actual marketing dollars, our players provide virtually zero value for anything.

The reason it is random companies is because those are Wake people trying to funnel money into the program and can now do it legally. No major company has any reason to have our players promote anything. Really all this does is let us know who was previously paying our players under the table. And kudos to their continued commitment given the results.

Other than getting a foot in the door with someone who may become a pro superstar down the road (not likely in the case of any of our players), what the hell would Nike have to gain from giving any of our individual players a shoe deal? Is there one single consumer who would buy a pair of Nikes because Sam Hartman is wearing Nikes? The answer to that would be No. That would be the worst ROI in Nike's history. In terms of actual marketing dollars, our players provide virtually zero value for anything.

The reason it is random companies is because those are Wake people trying to funnel money into the program and can now do it legally. No major company has any reason to have our players promote anything. Really all this does is let us know who was previously paying our players under the table. And kudos to their continued commitment given the results.

I was asking in general. Seriously doubt a Wake player would get a Nike deal unless it was another Collins/Paul/Duncan situation.

This is the whole deal in a nutshell. An earlier example I gave was the wealthy investor with no marketable business who still wants to "help" a player. He puts a lemonade stand on his front yard with Sam Hartman's NIL for a sign, puts his cute grandkid out there for a couple of hours and calls it a day.
This thing will end up a disaster, but an entertaining disaster.

Another funny component of this is that, obviously, previous cash payments to players were off the books and after-tax to the guy giving the cash. Combined with that, corporate charitable deductions are limited and Trump significantly neutered the ability of most to itemize individual charitable deductions, so there wasn't a big way around that by routing it through the booster association.

Now, not only can these payments be made, but anyone with a business can write them off at 100% as advertising expense. The players will pay tax on the earnings, but at a presumably lower rate than the rich guy making the payment. So, for the commielibs who view tax deductions to one group as being "paid for by the taxpayers", the taxpayers are now subsidizing the difference in the rate spread. Gotta love it.

Any example of a “cool” NIL deal that an NCAA athlete has signed?

I've seen a bunch of kinda cool restaurant ones, particularly with OL which is amusing. Kayvon Thibodeaux has some cool-sounding NFT deal with Nike I don't really understand but is supposed to be very lucrative. Arkansas WR and his dog signed with Petsmart. I'm sure there are a bunch more.

One unintended consequence of the NIL rules could be that it keeps elite players from jumping to the G League or the other "pop up" leagues that are offered as an alternative to going to college.

Elite college basketball players are thousand times more marketable and able to sell their NIL rights for big money as compared to a player in the G League or the new Overtime Elite League. Jalen Green apparently will be a top 3 pick in next week's NBA draft, but he was mostly invisible this year playing in the G League. If Jalen Green goes to Kansas, Kentucky or even Murray State, he would've earned a ton of cash this past year from shoe companies, apparel companies, restaurants and whatever else is available. Zion's family may have made a few hundred thousand in secret payments while Zion played at Duke, but with the hype train in full effect and if Zion had been able to cash in on his NIL rights, he would have made well into 7 figures during his freshman year at Duke.

Unless this becomes regulated, I could see this moving to the point where certain college players will be offered more to stay in college for an extra year rather than go to the NBA or NFL where there is a rookie scale.

This really smells like we'll be moving to a school recruiting on the "brand" the kid can generate more than on talent. So a kid who looks good in uniform, great smile and attitude will be more in demand than a less attractive true athlete? Will the women's basketball or volleyball coaches recruit the "hot chicks" because they are more marketable? Same with male sports?
I know I'm in the minority here (probably) but I always like college sports more than pro due to the fact that pros are more about "me, me me" and college tended to be more about team play. I feel that will be changing soon. Players seem like they'll be more likely to try the market themselves as their top priority.
Comments from an old white guy.

Back