• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will pay Wake Forest's players?

donaldross

Reaction score
It's not going to be athletic programs.

It's up to the alums and boosters to make this happen. As the story out of Miami demonstrates, players can literally get paid for posting our corporate images on their social media feeds.

The results will be obvious. Up will go Alabama -- an alum (or more likely organized group of alums) guaranteeing X thousand to every scholarship football player for sharing a logo--any logo.

Like with facilities, this is on us -- not John Currie or the Deacon Club. Will we step up? For those sports that have benefactors, we can thrive: aka men's golf.

The most organized alum bases will win. Those alums who sit on their hands thinking this is illegal will end up with losing programs--and fast. Let's not be one of them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/wn...s-football-players/ar-AALSiMv?ocid=uxbndlbing

Last edited:
Donald Ross... Deliver us Jazian Gortman and a killer 2022 class and I'll never talk shit again.

One would think at least 2 of those businesses would be recruiting slush funds.

DR - Serious question....Do you plan on shelling out cash to get good players at Wake? If so, thank you. If not, and you can presumably afford it, why not?

One would think at least 2 of those businesses would be recruiting slush funds.

DR - Serious question....Do you plan on shelling out cash to get good players at Wake? If so, thank you. If not, and you can presumably afford it, why not?

I am in for sure. Need teammates here. A one man show won’t work.

I think we should target men’s basketball. We have the resources to make a real difference there unlike football.

I am in for sure. Need teammates here. A one man show won’t work.

I think we should target men’s basketball. We have the resources to make a real difference there unlike football.

Agreed. 100% men's basketball. Everything else will (hopefully) full into place.

Hopefully Shah and Sutton feel the same. They love basketball and the Deacs, so I think they'd probably be on board.

I guess the traditional Deacon Club as an arm of the athletic department will get cut back greatly. In its place, it seems, would be a new private entity. Who is looking for a new job? Seems like there will be CEOs of these private organizations for all P5 schools quickly.

The Deacs are probably done the more I think about this.

Oregon will thrive. So will Ok state. And whatever school has the billionaire of the day. Their athletic “development” group is out quick though.

I think a place like Yale could really come on. Their alums are just more sports oriented and make way more money than Wake alums. Wake alums in general try not to rock the boat. That worked well in business back in the dry cleaner era.

Start up the deacon athletic fund and build you a team of willing deep pockets.

I think the value in being in the ACC in basketball will help as it gives a bigger platform with more exposure.

It’s not just local businesses involved.

The Deacs are probably done the more I think about this.

Oregon will thrive. So will Ok state. And whatever school has the billionaire of the day. Their athletic “development” group is out quick though.

I think a place like Yale could really come on. Their alums are just more sports oriented and make way more money than Wake alums. Wake alums in general try not to rock the boat. That worked well in business back in the dry cleaner era.

Yeah it’s over. The fun days of the mid 90s to the mid 00s aren't coming back. The landscape has fundamentally changed and there are no favorable signs for Wake Forest.

We’ve all pooled our money to keep the boards funded. (Did I miss an update on how all that shook out?)

Let’s pool our money and sponsor a player. “Discuss Wake Forest sports. Freely” written across the back of the jersey. Or maybe “Winter is Coming”

I guess the traditional Deacon Club as an arm of the athletic department will get cut back greatly. In its place, it seems, would be a new private entity. Who is looking for a new job? Seems like there will be CEOs of these private organizations for all P5 schools quickly.

There will still be a need for the Deacon Club to continue to fund the basic scholarships for Wake athletes.

I don't have a problem with the new rules and it will be fun (I guess) to see what creative things people come up with, but I think this is probably the beginning of the end of my interest in college sports and I expect that's true for lots of others in my age bracket.

The vast majority of alumni of WF or any school don't own businesses and aren't in a position to pay athletes to market a brand. Cue another post from dr that calls us all losers on the scoreboard of life, or some goofy shit like that.

Back