• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommendations for lake house locations near winston salem

wfunme

Reaction score
Lake Norman- duh.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Looking at Lake Look Out and Lake Hickory, but am open to any suggestions.

Lake Norman- duh.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Looking at Lake Look Out and Lake Hickory, but am open to any suggestions.

Define “near”.

Smith Mountain Lake is a little over 2 hours away.

Near is relative. Want to be close enough to go to games.
High Rock may be too muddy and is known locally as the red neck lake.

Dexter Lake; solid club there, but newcomers aren't always readily accepted.

My dad and I have made the trip from SML to Wake for games before. It’s a pretty easy drive.

Plus, it’s where they filmed What About Bob.

Sounds like y’all just don’t want an assuredly good time

All NC lakes outside of like White Lake are red clay mud pits.

All NC lakes outside of like White Lake are red clay mud pits.

White lake is a shallow bathtub. Who wants to wipe out and end up with a skinned knee?

wfunme, What type of activities are you wanting to do? Weekends or permanent?

Gaston is solid, but might be too far from W-S at 2.5 hours. It's somewhat muddy, but there are a decent amount of properties, including ours, that have a natural sand beach/shore in lieu of mud/bulkhead. Great for kids, wave runners, beach games, etc.

Really looking for a retirement destination where I could have a dock and a boat.

I live on Lake Norman so I am biased. What is it about Lake Norman that doesn't make it the answer for you?

I don't have anything against Lake Norman per se; but it is crowded and traffic on the east side of the lake is awful. And it's also more expensive than other options if you're looking for a second home.

Back