• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

App State

Shouldn’t all med school students be at the top of their class regardless of where they went to undergrad?

Go to App for a year, establish residency, then transfer to UNC.

Shouldn’t all med school students be at the top of their class regardless of where they went to undergrad?

What do you call the guy who graduated last in his med school class?

This conversation and anecdotes always reminds me of the football star recruiting argument we have had over and over again.

Go to App for a year, establish residency, then transfer to UNC.

This is the intention of App kids who do not get into UNC (transfer in after a year, no need to est residency). This was the plan of our App tour guide, but she loved App so much after she was there she abandoned the transfer to UNC plan. Difference between App and Duke story: the App tour guide says she loves the girls on her hall, and on Sundays they would bake cookies and watch The Bachelor together. Fine. The Duke tour guide is a Filipino girl whose calendar is full to double booked with various activities and educational opportunities. I coyly ask if she ever bakes cookies and watches TV with her friends. She looks at me like I had a horn growing out of my head.

Where does your daughter plan on living? If FL, then she should go to UF. If NC, then UNC or another NC school. I've really come to appreciate the benefit of networks in the college experience and post-college. While UF and UNC will have region/national cache, they are strongest in their own state. Wake and Duke will be stronger in the northeast.

If you pull a 3.8 at App and a 2.8 at Wake, I don't think the grad school is going to get a boner over the Wake applicant. And all that being around smart, motivated people didn't do a whole lot for me when I found the smart people who liked to drink beer and get high. Ultimately, in college you have to discipline yourself no matter where you go.

But regardless, App is a much better school than it was 30 years ago. It's not great, but it is what I would categorize as somewhere between decent and good. And again, much of it depends on what she wants to study. Every school has certain programs which are its strength and you can get a quality education in that particular area of study for a bargain if you're smart about it. App has its good programs like everywhere else.

That school snobbery I used to have went out the window pretty quick when I started looking at schools for somebody other than myself.

I would have no problem with my kids going there. One of my kids plays soccer on their field a few times a year and we really enjoy our visits. The only downside is that the traffic through Boone succccccckkkkks, and it seems to be that way all day every day.

The App administration has done a fantastic job of capitalizing on the football program, and the Michigan win in particular, to greatly enhance the overall profile of the school. They have really transformed the image over the past 10+ years. They actively engage their alumni and have created an extremely strong network, much stronger than ours. Everyone who went there seems to have loved it. After the Lost Decade, I trust their leadership moving forward exponentially more than I trust Wake's.

I've never been on APP's sports message board, but if it has only 5 pages on a 2021 football season thread and another 1,388 on one about Ferguson/fascism, that would be a red flag for me.

Maybe he doesn’t understand the concept of time.

If you pull a 3.8 at App and a 2.8 at Wake, I don't think the grad school is going to get a boner over the Wake applicant. And all that being around smart, motivated people didn't do a whole lot for me when I found the smart people who liked to drink beer and get high. Ultimately, in college you have to discipline yourself no matter where you go.

But regardless, App is a much better school than it was 30 years ago. It's not great, but it is what I would categorize as somewhere between decent and good. And again, much of it depends on what she wants to study. Every school has certain programs which are its strength and you can get a quality education in that particular area of study for a bargain if you're smart about it. App has its good programs like everywhere else.

That school snobbery I used to have went out the window pretty quick when I started looking at schools for somebody other than myself.

I agree with the bolded - it's a numbers game these days and grad schools mostly care about the numbers. But if all else is equal, the Wake grad would (and should) get preference over the App grad. There's a difference.

I agree with the bolded - it's a numbers game these days and grad schools mostly care about the numbers. But if all else is equal, the Wake grad would (and should) get preference over the App grad. There's a difference.

I can give some insight into this since I'm a physician.
I had slightly above average grades at Wake- but nothing chart topping. My initial attempt at Med School was unsuccessful (not surprising). I spent two years taking a ton of upper level biology and chemisty classes at ECU- made a 4.0 and promptly got into their med school -where I finished near the top of my class. It was a bit strange to be in class with kids from "lesser" schools who clearly had better grades than me in undergrad. In some ways I felt like my lower GPA coming from Wake really hurt me in the admissions game. I often felt like I would have been better to get a 3.9 at App or ECU and gone straight into med school. But all water under the bridge. And just one person's experience.

I can give some insight into this since I'm a physician.
I had slightly above average grades at Wake- but nothing chart topping. My initial attempt at Med School was unsuccessful (not surprising). I spent two years taking a ton of upper level biology and chemisty classes at ECU- made a 4.0 and promptly got into their med school -where I finished near the top of my class. It was a bit strange to be in class with kids from "lesser" schools who clearly had better grades than me in undergrad. In some ways I felt like my lower GPA coming from Wake really hurt me in the admissions game. I often felt like I would have been better to get a 3.9 at App or ECU and gone straight into med school. But all water under the bridge. And just one person's experience.

We can’t assume a sub-3.0 GPA at Wake automatically translates to a 4.0 at a state school.

Not talking about BacktoBack specifically, it’s certainly possible an undergrad guy was more concerned with girls and drinking. But once he graduated and got a little older, he knew what he wanted to do and was more focused the second time around.

We can’t assume a sub-3.0 GPA at Wake automatically translates to a 4.0 at a state school.

Not talking about BacktoBack specifically, it’s certainly possible an undergrad guy was more concerned with girls and drinking. But once he graduated and got a little older, he knew what he wanted to do and was more focused the second time around.

Clearly there is a component of maturity involved in my specific case (as you well know) And I beg your pardon, my GPA was above a 3.0 :)

But I was told by one professor at ECU that I was one of the best students she had ever taught- where I was just slightly above average at Wake. I'm not saying it would have been no big deal to get a 4.0 at a different school- but I can feel very confident a 3.8 would have been very, very doable.

Back