• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

App State

Clearly there is a component of maturity involved in my specific case (as you well know) And I beg your pardon, my GPA was above a 3.0 :)

But I was told by one professor at ECU that I was one of the best students she had ever taught- where I was just slightly above average at Wake. I'm not saying it would have been no big deal to get a 4.0 at a different school- but I can feel very confident a 3.8 would have been very, very doable.

As a favor to all of us, please take your incredibly high level of intelligence and apply it to some of your posts.

Clearly there is a component of maturity involved in my specific case (as you well know) And I beg your pardon, my GPA was above a 3.0 :)

But I was told by one professor at ECU that I was one of the best students she had ever taught- where I was just slightly above average at Wake. I'm not saying it would have been no big deal to get a 4.0 at a different school- but I can feel very confident a 3.8 would have been very, very doable.

Good insight and thanks for sharing.

It does seem like this has changed in the last thirty years or so. The USN&WR rankings made all schools focus more on admissions stats, which means grad schools may be more inclined to take a 4.0 from App than a 3.5 from Wake just because it helps their numbers. And I do think it's different for law/medicine and the professions than for A&S PhD programs - those programs tend to be more selective and pull most of their students from top undergrad schools.

There are so many variables that factor into a person's academic performance that you can't read much into any one set of anecdotes. But I still believe Wake students, regardless of grades, are generally better prepared for grad school than the average person and your experience bears that out.

Back