• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tuition Trends

Many kids who apply to Penn also apply to Harvard

Many kids who apply to Northwestern also apply to Stanford

Many kids who apply to Duke and Wake Forest also apply to Stanford (and all else equal, if they get in to Stanford and can swing going to California, they’re going to Stanford)

“Better”…everything…should cost more than inferior products. As a parent who sent two kids to school I understand the importance of fit. I also understand the value of $600,000.

Over the past few decades, WF has increased its costs at a higher rate than other institutions. It is no longer need blind in admissions, as it once was, and as other institutions still are. How does its current reputation compare to that of, say, 15 years ago? USNWR rankings have been stagnant between 25-30 for at least that long.

I understand having a problem with the general cost of higher education, especially among small private schools. Wake is not unique in its tuition. Hatch was not responsible for the larger national trends that have cause the rise in tuitions. If anything, I think the complaint would be with TK Hearn for moving Wake from a regional focused university to a nationally focused university. That changes the schools that are in our peer group, and accordingly changes the level of tuition Wake lists at.

I mean, Elon is $53K. Not sure we what people are complaining about. Wakes not the only expensive school in the world.

Davidson is $55K.

At least 20 years ago, and probably more, I remember public statements being made by Wake, probably TK but not sure, that they felt Wake was too cheap and that they intended to intentionally and consistently raise the costs of attendance to be more in line with our peer schools. I would say they have been quite successful.

The tuition from the bulletin from my senior year of 1984 was $5050.
A double occupancy room was about $800/year.
The most expensive meal plan was $1340/year.

I don't know what to count for books and miscellaneous, but, it looks like the total cost of attendance in 1984 was probably no more than $8000... So basically a tenfold increase in 37 years or so.

Straight inflation would say that $8000 in 1984 is equivalent to around $21000 today.

I still have my Bulletin from 1974, the year I entered Wake. Tuition was $2200, room rental was $360, meal plan was $600. Total cost of $3160. That would be just over $16,000 today.

There are plenty of schools more expensive than wake that are ranked much lower. I don't understand that part of the argument from thatguy

At least 20 years ago, and probably more, I remember public statements being made by Wake, probably TK but not sure, that they felt Wake was too cheap and that they intended to intentionally and consistently raise the costs of attendance to be more in line with our peer schools. I would say they have been quite successful.

The tuition from the bulletin from my senior year of 1984 was $5050.
A double occupancy room was about $800/year.
The most expensive meal plan was $1340/year.

I don't know what to count for books and miscellaneous, but, it looks like the total cost of attendance in 1984 was probably no more than $8000... So basically a tenfold increase in 37 years or so.

Straight inflation would say that $8000 in 1984 is equivalent to around $21000 today.

I still have my Bulletin from 1974, the year I entered Wake. Tuition was $2200, room rental was $360, meal plan was $600. Total cost of $3160. That would be just over $16,000 today.

So even back in the 70's and 80's tuition increases were outpacing inflation

Tufts, BC, Tulane, BU all more expensive than wake and ranked below. Loads of other schools all listed at $55-57.

Virtually all the SLACs cost more than wake, and that small campus is part of the unique experience wake offers

Bitching about the price of private schools is super bourgeois. Get over it. If you don’t like it, go somewhere else.

What’s your point Ph ? Am I wrong to suggest that a $300,000 education isn’t for everyone ? Wake has a competitive price for its product in its market.

So even back in the 70's and 80's tuition increases were outpacing inflation

Based on those numbers, tuition increased 8.9% per year from 1974 to 1984. Average inflation in the US over that span was 8.4%. So, greater than inflation, but barely.

Hearn�s tuition increase drive started in earnest in the mid 80�s with 10% increases every year, while overall US inflation decreased.

There are plenty of schools more expensive than wake that are ranked much lower. I don't understand that part of the argument from thatguy

The argument was that your choices of comps seemed skewed

It took a while, but I plotted all the data…

467548-200.png

The argument was that your choices of comps seemed skewed
My choice of peer schools is based on my experience as an academic and a student of higher education. I'm not a guidance counselor or an admissions officer, but I pay attention to this stuff.

While I've not been a parent of applicants looking at schools, I *have* been affiliated in various capacities with the majority of schools you've used as examples. It's my job and I take it seriously.

I'm interested in discussing though, so feel free to address individual points I've made

Tufts, BC, Tulane, BU all more expensive than wake and ranked below. Loads of other schools all listed at $55-57.

Virtually all the SLACs cost more than wake, and that small campus is part of the unique experience wake offers

Don't you also, have to take into account that some schools give out more merit aid (not based on family financials) than others. For example Tulane I believe gives out a lot of merit aid to bring down the price, while Wake gives out very little.

The total cost of my 4 years at Wake was $10,000.

Back