• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobby Bowden died 8/8/2021

Just saw that, thoughts and prayers go out to him and the Bowden family.

This is sad.
In his prime, he had FSU rolling.
I saw him speak at an FCA event about 20 years ago. Very good speaker and he did a lot to help folks outside of football.

The fact that people ever preferred JoePa over Bowden was, umm, troubling? Loved those Peter Warrick Bowden teams. Damn they were fun to watch. Wake also made him fire his own son, which was neat.

Between 1987 and 2000 (14 seasons), FSU went 10-2 or better every year. 70-2 in the ACC. During that stretch FSU finished the season ranked in top 4 every season, but one. That one season they finished 5th.

The fact that people ever preferred JoePa over Bowden was, umm, troubling? Loved those Peter Warrick Bowden teams. Damn they were fun to watch. Wake also made him fire his own son, which was neat.

Wake also made Clemson fire his other son, which they should be eternally grateful to us for

Seems strange to announce a terminal illness when you're into your 10th decade. It's usually just old age that gets you at that point.

His FSU program was clicking on all cylinders for a very long time. Great coach in his prime.

My parents are FSU alums and I grew up bleeding Garnet and Gold. We had season tickets to FSU Football. Thanksgiving rotated between my Aunt’s house in Tallahassee and anywhere else depending on where the FSU-UF game was.

I got to meet Bobby Bowden as a kid after a game. My brothers and I asked for an autograph with a ballpoint pen the dirty raggedy rubber football we’d been throwing around.

He looked at us. Told us the pen wasn’t any good and then had us walk with him to his car where he pulled out a sharpie and autographed the ball and a bunch of programs.

This news hits pretty hard.

BB landed a helicopter on our high school football field during the school day to come recruit a linebacker. Doubt Clawson would ever pull that stunt.

During his later years when he was no longer really coaching from the sidelines and just spent the games pacing, I used to enjoy watching the hapless student who had to follow behind him carrying his headset, which he would demand whenever he needed to yell at someone. And since they were mostly bad by then, it was often. And he'd drag that kid around, who had the cord strapped to his waist.

During his later years when he was no longer really coaching from the sidelines and just spent the games pacing, I used to enjoy watching the hapless student who had to follow behind him carrying his headset, which he would demand whenever he needed to yell at someone. And since they were mostly bad by then, it was often. And he'd drag that kid around, who had the cord strapped to his waist.

That’s called “running cords” and it’s the worst part of being an equipment manager. It also happened throughout his career not just the later years since I remember my mom and I watching the same thing when I was in middle school.

The upside is that your family sees you on TV because you’re standing right next to the coach.

Wireless headsets were a massive upgrade, but some places still had significant interference - like downtown Atlanta - that required the old school method.

My dad’s business partner had season tickets for FSU football and basketball in the 90s, so we usually went to the UNC (dad’s alma mater) and Wake games (parents’ grad school + other family member alums). Of course they got destroyed in football but the tides reversed in bball. Always knew where the away team bus was located at the Leon County Civic Center so got tons of autographs from all the 90s Wake and Carolina greats.

Good gracious, Bobby Bowden is 91.

99.999999% of all of us will be dead or terminally ill at that age. That doesn't take away that it's always sad when you lose a legend, but man, he's had one helluva run!

As much as I dislike FSU I always liked Bowden. Seemed like a genuinely good guy who really cared about his players. I don't remember a time, even during the years when his teams were beating Wake like a drum, that he didn't go out of his way to complement our players and coaches. And he was equally gracious after we shut them out in that immortal game in 2006. Best wishes to him and his family. Good run, Coach.

Good gracious, Bobby Bowden is 91.

99.999999% of all of us will be dead or terminally ill at that age. That doesn't take away that it's always sad when you lose a legend, but man, he's had one helluva run!

Time for some Bowden quotes…
Who were the Greenville SC radio station announcers who made a fortune mimicking Bowden and Danny Ford in early-mid 80’s?

Dad gumit

John Boy and Billy - they had an ongoing skit over Ford being pissed off for losing again to Bobby Bowden’s trick plays. Bobby was creative and unpredictable winning games by execution before he became the recruiting force with the AA players.

Back