• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Good update from Shams in The Athletic:
https://theathletic.com/2727488/202...playmaker-plus-more-nba-draft-and-trade-talk/

I highly recommend subscribing to The Athletic for their overall NBA coverage. As far as individual team coverage, they do a good job with the Hawks. They don't have a dedicated Spurs writer.

Over the past year, Beal has made clear his hope to stay with the Wizards, but even larger has been his desire to win.
“My biggest thing is win now, you know?” Beal said before the start of the 2020-21 season. “I wanna win. I’m here under contract for this year, next year and a player option, too. So, it’s just a matter of, we gotta win. And the organization knows that.”
Beal has the ability to become a free agent next offseason due to a $36.4 million player option after the 2021-22 campaign. Beal is eligible for a four-year, $182 million extension this summer with the Wizards — or the 10-year veteran max extension next summer, totaling five years and $235 million.

— The Los Angeles Lakers are pursuing a third stellar player who provides playmaking and shot creation around LeBron James and Anthony Davis, sources said.
The Lakers are expected to show interest in several free agents such as Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan and Spencer Dinwiddie, according to sources, but another scenario has gained some traction.
The Lakers and Sacramento Kings have discussed a deal centered around guard Buddy Hield, sources tell The Athletic. Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma would be involved in a potential package, per sources. The Lakers have received interest from several teams regarding Kuzma, sources said.

Lowry, DeRozan, Dinwiddie, Hield is an interesting list to a #3 to Lebron and AD. Curious to see where Dinwiddie ends up and how he does in his comeback.

There’s mutual interest between center Jarrett Allen and the Cavaliers on a new deal, but the Toronto Raptors are expected to be among the strong suitors for the restricted free agent, according to sources. Toronto has attempted to trade for Allen in the past, sources said. The Nets traded Allen as part of the four-team blockbuster James Harden trade. In 51 games for the Cavaliers, Allen, 23, averaged 13.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.4 blocks.

Seems like Allen could go better than the Cavs. He'd be a very nice pick-up for the Raptors to allow them to do a quick rebuild and make the playoffs next year.

Guard Will Barton declined his $14.7 million player option recently to become an unrestricted free agent, but there’s tremendous interest between he and the Nuggets to reach a new deal once free agency open on Aug. 2. Barton has spent the past 6 1/2 years in Denver, establishing himself as a fabric of the franchise’s rise into a Western Conference contender.

$15M+ seems like a lot for Will Barton. I guess they're working on a longer term deal in the 3 year, $36M range.

The Grizzlies and Pelicans have discussed a trade that would send guard New Orleans’ Eric Bledsoe and the No. 10 pick to Memphis for No. 17, sources said. Memphis has explored moving up in the draft.

HOF Bledsoe has fallen off. He still has 2 years, $37.5M left on his deal.

The 76ers, Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans and Heat are expected to be top suitors for Raptors free agent guard Kyle Lowry, sources said.

Makes sense to Dump Bledsoe if the goal is to clear cap space for Lowry.

gonna be interesting what’s gonna happen.

i would love for my zards to rebuild; trade beal and hopefully dump westbrook on the lakers.

kuzma, kcp, montrezl (apparently he’s gonna opt in), THT and the 22nd pick for westbrook.

should be easy to swap a few of those guys (eg maybe a montrezl s&t for cam payne) and could prob dump KCP on the mavs or something. maybe even kcp + bertrans for porzingis and someone and a 1st rounder.

The Hornets appear to be targeting one of Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen, or Richaun Holmes. Holmes is the easiest to get, as he is a RFA but Sac can't match anything realistic. But, that means we can't keep Monk and/or Graham without going into the tax. So I think a trade with Rozier for one of the other two is preferable, as then we could likely keep both Monk and Graham while adding the C.

Rozier is a tough decision. He makes $18 mil this year in the last year of his deal, and he outperforms that salary. So his expiring contract is a huge asset to a contender this year, and I think he'll likely want like $25 mil the following year, which we aren't going to pay him assuming we keep Monk/Graham. So it makes sense to move him now while his value is through the roof and knowing he'll likely walk after this season. But, if we can get a C without moving him, then we are likely a much better team this coming season and maybe he takes less to stick around on a hopeful contender after that.

apparently the sixers haven't been able to get ben simmons on the phone since the playoffs exit

Is Monk good at basketball?

Good question. He is very good at basketball when he actually and consistently plays basketball. He is still only 23, super athletic, has a smooth but streaky jumpshot from both mid and long range, can get to the rim whenever he wants, is an underrated playmaker, and a much-improved defender. But, whether it is injuries, cocaine, covid, or just pissing off the coach, he can't stay on the floor for any extended period of time across a season.

If he consistently plays to his potential, he could be the #2 or #3 option on a really good team. But he has yet to show that consistency. I think the Hornets will try to re-sign him as a RFA as they constantly talk about his potential, and I don't think he has shown enough for other teams to offer him anything over the $15 mil or so range that they would quickly match. Nobody else is going to throw a bunch of money at him given the question marks. We've generally got the cap room and his cost relative to upside should be pretty reasonable to bring him back.

Official 2021 NBA Offseason Thread - Draft, Trades, Free Agency, Summer League, etc

Probably a good move for Memphis. I like Valancuinas but I’m not sure JJJ can reach his potential playing beside him. It’s also tough to contend with two bigs as your #2 and #3 players. If Memphis can draft a good explosive 3 and D wing, they’ll be in great shape.

Not sure how the Pels are going to use Valancuinas with Zion even if they stick with “point Zion.”

Probably a good move for Memphis. I like Valancuinas but I’m not sure JJJ can reach his potential playing beside him. It’s also tough to contend with two bigs as your #2 and #3 players. If Memphis can draft a good explosive 3 and D wing, they’ll be in great shape.

Not sure how the Pels are going to use Valancuinas with Zion even if they stick with “point Zion.”

I think the point is Valancuinas has 1 less year on the deal and can play a bit more outside than Adams does. If they break the bank and match an offer for Lonzo as a RFA you're looking at Lowry/Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Valancuinas. Not terrible, but I have no idea whether those bigs can play any D.

Yeah. That makes sense.

pretty interesting bc bledsoe and adams both have two years left. i bet they end up trading both of those guys for expiring contracts at some point before the trade deadline.

p’cans are just weird. feels like they are clearing space to sign kyle lowry. but not sure how much better you really are.

The reports I've seen are that they are not going to break the bank to match for Lonzo. Though I'm not sure anyone else is breaking the bank to try to get Lonzo, so maybe he ends up back there.

The Knicks will break the bank for Lonzo. They’d probably do better trying to reunite Lowry and DeRozan for two years until Quickley and Barrett are ready to lead.

sometimes

will always be one of those guys that seems like he never gets enough PT to really find out

I never thought about it that way, but you're right.

He's only 23 and his per-36 numbers last year were 20.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.6 apg/2.3 TOpg on 40.1% 3FG and 81.9% FT.

Charlotte weirdly has enough depth that somehow this guy gets lost in the rotation, but damn I kinda wanna see what this guy looks like with more minutes.

If Memphis can draft a good explosive 3 and D wing, they’ll be in great shape.

There are a ton of high ceiling wings in this draft, most of whom are going to be available in the 7-13 range if mocks are accurate. Really good move by the Grizz, imo.

Back