• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

every year I turn on summer league games hoping to watch some young guys play a bit and every year I bail after a few minutes

every year I turn on summer league games hoping to watch some young guys play a bit and every year I bail after a few minutes

Same feeling I have about preseason NFL, too. I get so excited to have football back and then I realize after a few minutes that I don't give a shit until the games actually count.

With the Olympics over, it's going to be a long few weeks. And I didn't even watch any Olympics live... Just clips.

You can get good YouTube Summer League highlights of any player you're interested in. Live games are decent background noise and some free afternoon basketball.

LiAngelo may have made the roster with last night's game. We'll see if he can replicate it the rest of summer league. Gelo Shots for 3!

He made a great play and just missed a three pointer. You have a high standard for Summer League.
Probably fair to say that. There's not a player in the world today who doesn't take that three -- but he had a wide open runway to the bucket.

Most of what informed my overall impression was just sloppy, out of control play all over the place. There's a weird energy when it's a team sport but everyone is trying to stand out and seize their opportunity.

Official 2021 NBA Draft - Free Agency and Summer League

Basketball is a team sport but Summer League is barely a team event. These guys barely know each other. Maybe one or two guys know they’ll be on an NBA roster. More than that know they don’t have a shot and are playing for international scouts or some extra cash. Others are trying to get anything they can. And their coach may have never been a head coach before.

They’re scraping together as much of a team as they can get. But these guys have been doing this for a long time from pickup games to AAU tournaments to camps to the combine. It’s part of learning to be a professional.

Last edited:

UNCG’s Isaiah Miller just had a monster dunk for the T-Wolves.

Not going to bother to start another post for more Summer League takes.

Sharief Cooper and Jalen Johnson already seem to be building a nice chemistry that could make them part of a very dangerous young second unit with Reddish and Okongwu.

Last edited:
Dennis Schroeder to the Celts for 1 year/$6MM. Holy shot what a debacle.

Would you rather start Smart or Schroder? I’d go with Smart.

schroder with one of the worst all time non-injury "bet on yourself" outcomes

Dennis Schroeder to the Celts for 1 year/$6MM. Holy shot what a debacle.

He bet on himself in this market and cost himself about $15 million this season. Probably more in the next three seasons.

That dude is gonna be popular in the Celtics locker room after the first protocols-related loss, especially after they just offloaded Thompson, who I heard was similarly stupid about COVID.

one of the most costly anti-vaxx idiot in the labor market outcomes i've seen, too

i'm sure that had a lot to do with it, too

Sounds like being anti-vax stupid has a price. For Schroeder, that price is $15 million, and likely to increase.

Seems like if the first two places you’ve played willingly let you go and easily replaced you and you end up with GM Lebron and Pelinka willing to give you $84M, you should take it.

Looks like he’s probably coming off the bench.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1425235421118832645

Sharief Cooper with a sweet game winning step back corner three. 21 and 9 on 5-8 from deep. Johnson had 18/10. The Hawks front office continues to make the right moves.

By the way, OT in Summer League is a 2 minute period followed by a sudden death period. I could definitely go for 2 min OT periods. 5 min is just too long especially when some games just need another minute for a team to finish out their momentum.

Last edited:
Didn’t he turn down 4/84

That works out to $21 million per year. His mid-level exception is $6 million for one year. So that is $15 million lost this year. Somebody may pay him something to play in 22-25. I don't have a clue about how much. So I wasn't doing the arithmetic for the outyears. It seemed to be improper accounting to assume zero for his NBA salary from 2022-2025.

He could have been Lebron’s last PG making $21M a year. All but a few players take that deal. And he turned that down because he thought he deserved $30M. It’s amazing to see someone fail so badly especially a player who isn’t particularly likable.

Back